Skip to main content
Topic: Fridge gas blows out while driving (Read 467 times) previous topic - next topic
Fridge gas blows out while driving
1998 MB.  Dometic fridge stopped cooling so we had a new cooling unit installed (Dutch Aire).  Cools great now - but the LP heater on the fridge won't stay lit while driving.  Tried a variety of wind guard applications down by the flame -- nothing has worked.  Cap on the roof is intact. 

Ideas?

1998 Mid Bath

Re: Fridge gas blows out while driving
Reply #1
what does the wind guard you have look like? any way you can upload a photo? also do you have any fans on the outside?
1995 23.5 Rear Lounge

Reply #2
Install a 250 watt inverter and run it on AC while driving.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #3
Install a 250 watt inverter and run it on AC while driving.
This is actually a pretty involved project I would not recommend for most, and a much larger inverter is needed. I use an 850W inverter with an auto-transfer switch, a D.C. relay to protect under-hood items, etc.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
what does the wind guard you have look like? any way you can upload a photo? also do you have any fans on the outside?
We're in transit back home after a couple months in the sun.  I will take a pic of the wind guard & upload ASAP.  No fans.  Was thinking maybe trying a taller exhaust stack (or putting an upside-down P-trap up there to try to verify whether the problem is originating from the top side or the bottom side)
1998 Mid Bath

Reply #5
I wish I had an answer to your flameout problem; maybe somebody else does.

I've tried running the absorption fridge from an inverter, and I don't recommend it. The 120 VAC heating element in these fridges typically draws about 360 watts, which is about 33 amps if you're powering it from an inverter. Even assuming that doesn't put too much of a strain on your '98 chassis's alternator, as soon as you turn off the engine you'll be draining your batteries like a bucket with a half-inch hole in the bottom. If you don't remember to shut off that inverter the instant you stop, your batteries will rapidly drain. (It has happened to me--and I had four large batteries.) That's why Steve has a transfer switch, relay, etc. to cut off the power to the fridge when the engine isn't running.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Lots of possibilities - too many to make a guess without more info. 

I would start with this thread - they talk about the most common suspects:
https://www.rvforum.net/threads/dometic-fridge-wont-stay-lit.5475/

It could be blowing out via wind from travel, or it could be a short in the board or thermocouple the shows up while bumping along, or it could be debris that gets blown or bumped around - there are lots of possibilities. 

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #7
dear 98265mb; Names are easier to use....  Did the propane gas jet get replaced when you had the cooling unit replaced? It could just be a dirty orifice on the burner.   Wind blows out frig when running on gas    I had this problem on a 2001 MB in 2017.  It ran fine stationary. I never could get my friends to try cleaning the jet where they were located on the East coast.  Other people that seem to have this same problem, are MidBath owners, and the wind patterns while in motion may affect the MB the worst. But there are also more MB's on the road.       RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #8
98265mb - May I suggest for a short time work around until you figure out a way to fix the problem that you put several freezer packs in the freezer when your refrigerator is running and when you are on the road traveling you put the freezer packs in your fridge.  We carry many freezer packs and do this when we are somewhere where we are not level and shut turn off our fridge which is the original one in our 98~MB.  We find this works for many hours especially if we do not open the fridge door.

Karen~Liam
                 98 ~ MB
                    NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #9
Our 2003 LD never had issues with the flame blowing out, while driving, before Dometic's recall installed the shields.
The problem could be caused by a weak flame. I would remove and clean the jet, it's located on the right side of the gas valve. Remove it and soak in solvent for while and then use an old toothbrush to clean. Do not insert any metal item into the jet, it's easy to damage the jet. If available, blow the jet clean with compressed air before reinstalling.

Another possible cause of a weak flame is low propane gas pressure. It needs to be set at 11" of H20, with two or more propane appliances burning. This needs to be done by a qualified tech using a manometer.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
Hmmm…

Years ago while in Yosemite in our ‘15 RB we had propane issues, low flames at stove top, couldn’t run the furnace and stove at the same time. I was perplexed. Even called the mothership.

Long story short. I didn’t have the propane tank’s valve completely open. This restriction caused all my problems.

So, as Larry said, perhaps it’s a “low flame” issue. Easiest solution may be to check the propane tank to see if it’s fully open. Stranger things have happened.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #11
Ok - I've got a few new rocks to look under.  Easy things 1st: propane valve, wiggle the board, clean the burner.  I put a cookie sheet just inside the fins on the door to 'test' whether it was a draft on the lower end -- no change.  But the guys who replaced the cooling unit pulled the fridge & jostled everything around -- I can easily imagine a bump-induced short or dust/rust in the burner -- so I'll put those on my to-do list ASAP.  The good news is the new cooling unit cools like a champ!  I'll keep you posted.
1998 Mid Bath

Reply #13
Well, I cleaned the burner & the jet.  Scrubbed the end of the thermocouple. Started the thing on gas & rattled the control panel (mother board) & wiggled the thermocouple & all wires.  No smoking gun / and no changes.  I will try a new thermocouple next -- but I'm sort of frustratingly coming to grips that this may be my new reality.
1998 Mid Bath

Reply #14
Doubt anyone here has any experience with Dutch Aire refers. Have you consulted with the manufacturer? This would be a major design problem if wind is the cause.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #15
if the pan test showed it might not be the wind, perhaps it's a starter issue or something else...

have you confirmed that it lights right away when the starter is sticking? if it is then never mind...

another way to check to confirm it's on our not would be to put a grill thermometer and verify the flame is on it not. you could pass it through the hope inside the fridge where the wires come in. Have the thermometer where the fire is and the reader inside the coach. rain to confirm it's maybe the flame is on, but just not enough or something...
1995 23.5 Rear Lounge

Reply #16
Rob,

If the fridge works properly on LP when parked, it is unlikely that the thermocouple is the problem. Likewise, though low gas pressure is not impossible, if it works well when parked, no reason to think being under way would effect the pressure. Usually other gas appliances aren't being used when under way, so unless the regulator in the gas valve AT the fridge is erratic, this isn't logical to me. One thing that hasn't been mentioned that might have an effect is the baffle that controls the fuel\air mixture to the burner may not be adjusted properly. When it is, the burner flame will be all blue, but not 'sharp'. If it's yellow or blue but 'lazy', the flame is weak and perhaps could be blown out when under way. It's a long shot, but worth looking at. The baffle can easily be adjusted to improve the fuel\air mixture to get a strong, blue flame.

Bill

Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #17
Rob,

If the fridge works properly on LP when parked, it is unlikely that the thermocouple is the problem. Likewise, though low gas pressure is not impossible, if it works well when parked, no reason to think being under way would effect the pressure. Usually other gas appliances aren't being used when under way, so unless the regulator in the gas valve AT the fridge is erratic, this isn't logical to me. One thing that hasn't been mentioned that might have an effect is the baffle that controls the fuel\air mixture to the burner may not be adjusted properly. When it is, the burner flame will be all blue, but not 'sharp'. If it's yellow or blue but 'lazy', the flame is weak and perhaps could be blown out when under way. It's a long shot, but worth looking at. The baffle can easily be adjusted to improve the fuel\air mixture to get a strong, blue flame.

Bill

Bill - I was indeed thinking a weak flame (or a thermocouple that's not as good as it used to be) could be the problem.  I don't know how to adjust the flame or the A/F mixture.  I do know how to adjust the A/F mixture on the H20 heater, though -- So - can you coach me on how to do that?  Is it the little brass "knob" that's kerfed on the outside & looks like a regular screwdriver head just to the left of the jet?  I did think it a bit peculiar that the distance between the jet & the burner is fixed (or appears fixed).  I assumed that meant I couldn't control the A/F mixture.  It does fire up immediately -- and I can blow in the general vicinity of the flame & hear it flutter. 
1998 Mid Bath

Reply #19
hey Rich -
  My flame looks pretty much the same (see it in the attached link).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXZ0hpFKC8w

I did verify that the flame "dial" was wide open.  I closed the thing - and then opened it back up and the flame started immediately.  Background in the video sounds like ticking -- it's just the snow melting off the roof of my barn.  One final note - this was taken inside the barn. There is no noteworthy draft in there (ie: all the doors closed).

-best-
1998 Mid Bath

Reply #20
If you notice in your little video, the flame is jumping off the burner some. You may have to much air or your gas pressure is a little high. The easiest thing to do is to close the air just a bit until the flame settles down and see what happens. You don't want a lazy yellow tipped flame or in this case you don't want the flame lifting off the burner either.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #21
Rob, (and all),

I made my comments above without looking at my fridge burner compartment, and made two mistakes!  Going from memory, which clearly was of the water heater was not helpful. I have taken the time to look at it, so I realize that there is no adjustable air baffle on the burner tube, nor is there a regulator at the valve, so the gas valve relies on the proper pressure (11" of water) from the system regulator, and the knurled knob allows for correcting the mixture by controlling the gas to the burner.

Very sorry for not being helpful!

Bill
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #22
So the gas valve relies on the proper pressure (11" of water) from the system regulator, and the knurled knob allows for correcting the mixture by controlling the gas to the burner

From my first earlier posting, setting the pressure regulator is needed for proper operation. The knurled knob is not a mixture adjustment. The mixture is set by the jet.
Every RV owner should have the propane pressure  checked periodically.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze