Skip to main content
Topic: Screw knobs for tire skirts (Read 667 times) previous topic - next topic
Screw knobs for tire skirts
Hi, I need a replacement black screw knob used to attach the tire skirts to the body. The plastic black portion has broken off one of mine.  Can anyone suggest where I might find a replacement?

As a new owner of LD (2007 27' mid bath)  I am surprised and somewhat disappointed that I can't find anything on the LD website re: replacement parts.  Anyone have a good source for LD parts?

Thanks,

Bart
2007 Mid Bath

Re: Screw knobs for tire skirts
Reply #1
Have you called the Mothership to see if they have them in stock?
Many big box hardware stores will have selections of knobs.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2

Bart,

Here is a link to Amazon (of course). Big Horn 19710B-5PK 7-Star Stud 1/4-20 (5/PK) Amazon.com: Big Horn 19710B-5PK 7-Star Stud 1/4-20 (5/PK) : Industrial &...

A simple tool will help measure the threaded end of your old knob. ChgImposs Metric & Imperial Screw Gauge SAE Whitworth 55 Degree & Metrisch 60 Degree Thread Pitch Gauge for Industrial Measurement ChgImposs Metric & Imperial Screw Gauge SAE Whitworth 55 Degree & Metrisch...

Hope this helps.

Kent

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
I recently ordered 2 from the mothership, inexpensive and fast delivery

Bob
2007 31 IB

Reply #4
I am surprised and somewhat disappointed that I can't find anything on the LD website re: replacement parts.  Anyone have a good source for LD parts?
Call. They have lots in stock, will quote you the price with shipping, and send them once they have your check. Old school.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Thanks to all for the helpful advice! Bart (Newbie)
2007 Mid Bath

Reply #6
I had lost one somewhere shortly after I purchased my 07 LD (used in 2011).  I ordered one to replace the one I lost and one extra.  Just a thought.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #7

A multi-leaf thread gauge like the one Kent mentioned is a good thing to have around--very small, and inexpensive too. But you can't always fit one of those leaves in where you need to make a measurement, and they can't tell you the diameter of a machine screw or the hole in a nut.

So let me put in a word for this nut and bolt checking "necklace". It has 14 English and 12 metric pieces , each of which has a threaded stud and a threaded sleeve. The pieces are labeled ("1/4-20", "M8-1.0", etc.)... so you can screw a bolt into the sleeve end, or screw the stud end onto a nut or threaded hole, and quickly determine both diameter and thread pitch. Very handy!

Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8

I got these: Big Horn 19705B-5PK 7-Star Insert 1/4-20 (5/PK) - - Amazon.com to replace the ones on my 2000 IB.

I replaced all of them so they were uniform around and the rubber on the old ones was getting mushy. At least on my rig - the knob has to be female since the bolt pokes thru the tire skirt.

The new ones were considerably larger but once I replaced them all and got used to them they seem just as well.

Below is a pic of the old deteriorating knob and the new knob. I found it helpful to put a rubber washer between the knob and the flap to help it secure when tightened down.

Jodi, Kevin, and Lincoln (the crazy doodle dog)
2011 TK - also the "DogHaus"- adopted October 2023
2000 30IB - the "DogHaus" - adopted April 2020 - rehomed October 2023

Reply #10
These were not a good fit, returning to Amazon. The plastic collar is way too deep for proper fit.

2007 Mid Bath

Reply #11
These were not a good fit, returning to Amazon. The plastic collar is way too deep for proper fit.

Give the Mothership a call, as previously suggested, they have what you need.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #12
I went with the Mothership after all. Pretty fast response after I mailed my check. Bought four, for $4 each.  Total charge with tax and postage was around $24.   Pretty high for these simple knobs, but at least they fit well.
2007 Mid Bath

Reply #13
"Pretty high for these simple knobs, but at least they fit well."

And worth the $$$$!

Suggest you invest in a like number of nylon fender washers to be sandwiched between the bearing surface of the new knobs and the fender skirt. Saves wear and tear on the skirt! You may have to open the center hole on the nylon washer to make it work.   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!