Skip to main content
Topic: Tire Replacement Time: Suggestions Needed (Read 508 times) previous topic - next topic
Tire Replacement Time: Suggestions Needed
It is time to replace the tires on our 30IB and am asking for input on current choices.  I’m located in Orange County, CA and would also appreciate any suggestion of a reputable installer. 

I’ve always used Michelin's but know that there are other options out there now.  I’ve heard some negatives on other forums for the MichelinS which I understand is the Defender replacement. 

I’m open to any and all suggestions, quality is more important to me than cost.  As my Dad used to say, “You’re only as safe as your tires going down the road.”

Thanks so much!
'O6 IB Anniversary Model
Sue, My Copilot
Carlie, our canine princess

Re: Tire Replacement Time: Suggestions Needed
Reply #1
Have you seen these threads?

replacing Michelin tires

New Tires And Extended Valves Question

I'm not aware of anything that has changed since those were written, except that's it's probably even harder to find tires in stock and the prices are probably going up. 

Good luck and enjoy the new tires!

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #2
I swapped out 6 for Agilis Crossclimate last Dec which were between 4 - 6 yo. Still lots of tread (53k on rig). One put in Dec 19 was Agilis.  Age and picking my own replacement time drove the decision. 3 separate tire vendors independently recommended Agilis. They work.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #3
Jules,

The Michelin Agilis Cross climate is what we put on our ‘15 27’ RB back in July ‘21. We had the installation done at Allen’s Tire Center here in Long Beach. About $1600 for six tires. Passed on replacing the covered spare (that’ll happen very soon).

I called Allen’s to lock in the price prior to the installation. Early morning arrival to the tire center (first in line) and out by 9am. We’ve had Borg steel valve stems since our rig was new and Allen’s installed them.

Nice group of people. Free flat tire repairs and they even rotated my tires at no cost. There are quite a few Allen’s around.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
My Agilis Cross Climate (Discount Tires) are two years old now and I have had no problems.  Not very many miles though as yet.  I had Michelin Defenders before, and these are quieter, and maybe a little better gas mileage. Hard to nail down  a few tenths of a mile per gallon, with too many other factors involved.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5
CrossClimates on ours as well. Put them on last year and have about 2500 miles on them. No issues and paid $1700 installed.
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #6
Thank you all for your information,  I will install the Michelins in the near future.  I so appreciate this forum and all that I have learned in the past decade.

Jules
'O6 IB Anniversary Model
Sue, My Copilot

michelin cross climates
Reply #7
Hello,
What weight & air pressure are you running on the rear duals?
Michael
2013 31' IB

Reply #8
80 in back, 70 in front. 
'O6 IB Anniversary Model
Sue, My Copilot

Reply #9
Hello,
What weight & air pressure are you running on the rear duals?
Michael

To find the proper pressure for your coach, you need to weight the rig and use the inflation tables provided by the tire manufacturer. 

The Lazy Daze Companion: Search results for tire pressure

I end up around 75 in the rear and 65 in the fronts, but everyone really should figure numbers for their own rig.

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #10
I just checked prices at Discount Tires here in Georgia. The Michelins have shot up to 254.00 each plus tax, plus insurance. With everything over 1900.00.
My last set was 1650.00 on my older LD (2004 MB) they had 10k on the Michelins.
I have decided to go with Firestone HT2 Transforce at 161.00 each. A bit over 1300.00 with everything. I had these on a high top Nissan NV2500 that i built into a conversion van. They were smooth riding and had plenty of tread left at 40k and no signs of cracking or dry rot after 6 years when i sold it.
My 2016 TK has 13k miles and i do not need high priced michelins just to take them off in 5 or 6 years when they might have 15 to 20k on them.
Most import thing is keep the Borg tire stem seals replaced each tire purchase, alignments, proper inflation, tire covers, park on horse trailer mats cut sections when home. Rebalance and rotate tires every 7k or less.
I will take the old tires and sell them noting the date codes/age like i did last time. Sold them to a construction site manager who needed them for a site only construction work truck. He was thrilled to get them. I will sell all 6 of these
for 300.00. It will be the price of one tire plus tax new. I mark the old tires with where they were on the rig so they can rotate them as they install them...LF, LR, RRI, etc...Also check with farmers they use this size tire on trailers and other farm equipment. Dont forget about the spare and its rubber seal. I suggest replacing the spare at 7 to 8 years...it is rarely used and should get you to a nearby tire store 50 to 100k away. If you have a newer better condition tire on the rig when replacing all 6 i suggest putting the best and newest tire on the spare rim. The spare could be over 10 years old if you are not the original owner. If really needing to save money buy a cheaper tire for the spare since it will be hanging back there dry rotting over the years. Or ask the tire salesperson if he has a like new take off of the size you need that he could throw in the deal or for 20 or 30 bucks. Most tire places keep racks of take offs....such as one of four tires may have been replaced 10k miles before purchasing a new set of 4. Most folks will not take tires back home.
2017 Casita Spirit Deluxe
2016 Twin King 24ft
2017 Casita Independence Dlx
2004 Midbath 26.5

Reply #11
To find the proper pressure for your coach, you need to weight the rig and use the inflation tables provided by the tire manufacturer. 

The Lazy Daze Companion: Search results for tire pressure

I end up around 75 in the rear and 65 in the fronts, but everyone really should figure numbers for their own rig.

Rich

Don't you mean inflation table from vehicle manufacturer not tire manufacturer? Tire info for like max pressure and load, but psi is specific to the vehicle.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #12
Don't you mean inflation table from vehicle manufacturer not tire manufacturer? Tire info for like max pressure and load, but psi is specific to the vehicle.

The tire manufacturer, and it can depend on the model of tire too. 

To determine the correct pressure, you need to know the weight on the axle, which should be determined by weighting the rig.   Then you take those weights and the inflation table for your particular tire to determine the correct pressure. 

The companion article linked above has a worked example.

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #13
I went to Big O Tire. Installed 6 mesa big o brand. The tire carrying weight and hardness is the reason for not going with Michelin. Installed out the door around 1300 with road warranty. This was on a 92 midbath
1992 Mid Bath

Reply #14
Thank you all for your replies.

I decided on the Michelin Agilis CC costing $241.99 each from Allen Tire in Orange County, CA.  I’ve had good luck with Michelins on my 31IB, change them every five years, and to date, no blow outs or any other issues.  I had the best of the old tires replaced for my spare.

Tires are something I will not skimp on, as they say, “You’re only as safe as your tires” and I truly believe that. 
'O6 IB Anniversary Model
Sue, My Copilot

Reply #15
Here is a page from the Lazy Daze 37th Edition on Weight and Tire Pressure. It provides a good baseline for Tire Pressure as it relates to the different LD Models and Vehicle Weight.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"