Skip to main content
Topic: Kwikee Leveling System Motor (Read 204 times) previous topic - next topic
Kwikee Leveling System Motor
1997 Mid Bath

Not sure if I'm chasing unicorns here but I need parts or replacement for the motor on my leveling system.

I had an issue where the hydraulic motor became intermittent. After troubleshooting I found that the brushes on the motor were gummed up and not sliding in their housings. I cleaned everything up and got it working again. However the brushes looked to be worn and the springs do not seem to apply much pressure to the brushes against the armature. Everything worked when I reinstalled the motor but I am not confident that it will continue to function and I will not be able to retract the levelers when I l get ready to leave.

I would like to replace the brushes and springs but do not know where to find them as this is an obsolete motor. If anybody has any ideas I would be grateful.
1997 MB

Re: Kwikee Leveling System Motor
Reply #1
I doubt if many new Kwekee motors exist.
Replacing brushes can be done, an oversize brush can be trimmed down with very fine sandpaper or emery cloth, for a custom fit.
Here are two sources, you will need to measure your existing brushes before ordering.

McMaster-Carr
Amazon.com : Small Motor Brushes

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
We have a kwikee leveling system that we don't use. We got tired of paying our repair shop to fix it.  We never took them off the rig, but if you or anyone wants to pay our bill to have our shop remove the system, and ship the parts to you-  you can have all of it!  Or, save on shipping and come by to San Jose to pick it up!  
2002 MB

Reply #3
We took our failed Kwikee Leveler Motor to a local DC electrical rebuild shop. They rebuild starter motors and other DC motors.
They said it is the same or similar as the starter motor on a Cushman Golf Cart. The cost was just under $100 4 years ago.
Hope this helps.
2000 MB

Reply #5
Hi Steve;  The previous comments apply to the hydraulic pump motor for the levelers. That part of Kwikee went out of business about 14 years ago I think.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #6
I doubt if many new Kwekee motors exist.
Replacing brushes can be done, an oversize brush can be trimmed down with very fine sandpaper or emery cloth, for a custom fit.
Here are two sources, you will need to measure your existing brushes before ordering.

McMaster-Carr
Amazon.com : Small Motor Brushes

Larry
Thank you for the response. The brushes look to be made of copper and are paired together and attached to the motor electrical connection points. Here are a couple of photos.

1997 MB

Reply #7
We took our failed Kwikee Leveler Motor to a local DC electrical rebuild shop. They rebuild starter motors and other DC motors.
They said it is the same or similar as the starter motor on a Cushman Golf Cart. The cost was just under $100 4 years ago.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll see if I can find a repair shop in my area.
1997 MB

Reply #8
We have a kwikee leveling system that we don't use. We got tired of paying our repair shop to fix it.  We never took them off the rig, but if you or anyone wants to pay our bill to have our shop remove the system, and ship the parts to you-  you can have all of it!  Or, save on shipping and come by to San Jose to pick it up!  
Many thanks for the offer but I am thinking of discontinuing using mine also if I cant get my motor repaired at a reasonable price.

1997 MB

Reply #9
"That part of Kwikee went out of business about 14 years ago I think.  RonB"

??? Not understanding! But that's quite common these days.

Are we talking about the Kwikee step or the Kwikee Levelers???

At any rate both of mine are still working after eighteen years.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #10
"That part of Kwikee went out of business about 14 years ago I think.  RonB"

??? Not understanding! But that's quite common these days.
Are we talking about the Kwikee step or the Kwikee Levelers???

Etrailer sells parts for the electric steps, not the levelers.
Kweekee discontinue their levelers a long time ago and parts were difficult to find even ten years ago.
I have removed two sets of nonfunctioning Kweekee levelers from LDs and sold the whole works to other LD owners who were trying to bring their Kweekees back to life.
Kweekee used non-standardized solenoids to control the jacks, I could never find an industrial supplier that could identify the parts. They also used solenoids that could not be manually operated, common in many solenoids used for hydraulics.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze