Skip to main content
Topic: My experience with Eternabond Tape- Test of time. (Read 583 times) previous topic - next topic
My experience with Eternabond Tape- Test of time.
The Eternabond Tape in the photo is 10 years old. I taped all these seams over the existing caulking 10 years ago when I bought the rig. I think is has held up excellent. I recall cleaning the area with acetone and then carefully placing the tape over the seam with a small roller. My wife helped me and the extra set of hands was a big help. LD recommended removing the existing sealant (brownish, orange gummy stuff) but I saw no reason to remove this stuff and glad I did not. The Eternabond has stood the test of time and I continue to use it. I also like 3M 4200 polyurethane at areas hard to tape.
2002 MB

Re: My experience with Eternabond Tape- Test of time.
Reply #1
Great information.  I used it on my home underside of wheel barrow and lasted for greater than 8 yrs.  I want to use it on my home
water tank.  I'm on a well.

Robn
2006 31' IB Anniversary Edition; Tow 97' Wrangler

Reply #2
Matt, nice job, I’m a believer in Eternabond myself.
I noticed you routed solar cabling down the sewer vent. Did you give any thought to the fridge vent? I might do this in the future and mulling the advantage of each.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve
2003TK

Reply #3
Last month I replaced two, 18-year-old solar panels on our 2003 FL, located at the front of the LD's roof. The panels sit on top of the front roof seam. When the original panels were installed, not wanting future problems, the front roof seams were sealed with Eternbond tape.
When lifting the old panels, the old Eternabond tape was filthy but still in perfect condition.
Good stuff.
Solar panel addition | Flickr

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
The solar is actually routed down the fridge vent and was done by LD at the factory. Thanks,  Matt

I just removed the original 2- 85 W solar panels placed by LD at the factory and replaced them with 3-100 W panels I bought at Costco(Grape Solar Panels). They are wired in parallel. I think I may add another 100 W panel and wire in the 4 panels in series and replace the PWM controller with a MPPT controller. This I believe will max out the 10 gage wire. What do you think? Matt
2002 MB

Reply #5
Hi Matt,

Did you remove the white caulk over the orange gummy sealant before taping?  Also, did you clean the sealant with acetone or just the roof area to each side of the sealant line?

Reply #6
Hi Matt;  I'd just place the fourth panel in ( Parallel ) with the others,  If you lose a few watt-hours from running a bit more current than optimum through the wire you've got, no big deal.  You would spend too much paying for another controller. With four in parallel, most of the time you won't be at maximum power anyway.  A drawback to having four in series is shadowing. Just one item on one panel would limit the current in all of them. Best of course is to add more wires in parallel, that also means you don't have to remove the wires you already have. You can just add more wires in parallel, along with the panels in parallel.  RonB

edited to say 'Parallel'   Voltage loss isn't too much of an issue with 10 ga. wire and a little loss only at maximum sunlight and maximum current situations.  RB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #7
You make me glad that when I installed solar on my LD I took recommendations from the group and used six gauge wire so adding more panels would be easier.  It did cost more, but I think it's worth it.
1997 MB