Skip to main content
Topic: California Sales Tax etc. -- Used LD from private owner (Read 211 times) previous topic - next topic
California Sales Tax etc. -- Used LD from private owner
Hello everyone,

As noted in my other posts, we're purchasing a used LD from a private owner in California in a little over 2 weeks. We're Florida residents and will be leaving with the vehicle, out of the State of California, the next morning. The vehicle will be titled in Florida.

I've searched here and found various (older) answers to these questions, but hoping someone who's done this more recently can offer some guidance. I'll likely call a private DMV office near the seller's house to get the final verdict on this if necessary....

I've already searched dmv.ca.gov and didn't really find answers yet.

The questions are:
1. Will I just obtain the signed title and Bill of Sale from the seller and handle everything in Florida (doesn't sound like that is the case in reading the dmv.ca.gov site).

2. Do I have to pay California sales taxes? I called the local version of DMV here in FL (aka Tax Collector's Office) and they told me that I just show up to their office with title, Bill of Sale, and the vehicle (to allow visual confirmation of odometer) and pay sales tax in FL. But that may not overrule California rules if they are in conflict. I really don't want the sellers to be hit with any bills after the fact, and if I/we miss something and that happens, obviously I would reimburse them immediately. I just would like to avoid that complication altogether.

3. Do I have to obtain a temporary tag from California to drive it out of the state?

I thought I would ask the community before direct messaging anybody.

Thank you!
Jason
Jason

2003 Rear Bath
"Razor Crest"
Our first RV, purchased from the original owner 01/2022

Re: California Sales Tax etc. -- Used LD from private owner
Reply #1
Probably need a temporary plate to get home.

Regardless of what anyone says here, drop by a California DMV office to verify what should be done with respect to California law.   Heck, I would make an appointment now as waits can be exceedingly long just showing up.

Don’t forget to have an insurance policy in place too.

If all this is too complicated, let me know and I’ll buy the Lazy Daze instead.   LOL
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #2
AAA offices may be able to help. Living here in California, I avoid the DMV and use our local AAA to pay car fees for registration.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
If you’re a AAA member, by all means use their DMV services. I would make that appt. now as their wait times can be long as well.

I had a good experience using a private DMV service here in town when I brought Nocona back from Florida so consider them as well. I ended up paying the Florida sales tax rate (6% as I recall which is less than the Kern County, CA rate) at the Tax Collector office for Davenport, FLA . The private DMV service got me registered and said I would be receiving a tax bill from the CA DMV for the difference but, over a year later, I’m still patiently waiting.  :D 
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
I would skip the CA DMV and find out what you need in the state where you plan to register the vehicle. 

The problem with this is not having a plate for the trip from the purchase location to your home state. 

In my experience, having bought a few cars out of state (including one 2 months ago) is that keeping the purchase paperwork handy is plenty if you encounter someone in authority who wants to know what is going on. 

When I bought my LD, it was 1200 miles from where I live and I drove it home.  Getting insurance was no issue, and the seller was kind/generous/trusting enough to let me keep the current plate on the vehicle until I had my own.  Absent that, I would have just driven without a plate, or with a piece of cardboard saying 'new purchase' or something and paperwork on the passenger seat.

I paid tax in the state where I registered the vehicle. 

I've bought an out of state vehicle 3 times and driven it home.  Not once has anyone at the local DMV asked how it arrived here, or what I did for a license plate, or even why the vehicle has more miles now than it did when the title was signed over (they never look at the vehicle in my state - only the paperwork). 

Your state may vary, but that's the place to inquire, IMO.  Skip California. 

Some states require paperwork to be notarized.  Some don't.  My state will accept paperwork completed according to their requirements (notarization required) OR the requirements of the state when the vehicle was previously titled. 

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #5
I can't speak to Ca/Fla, but I purchased my LD on Florida March 2021 and was returning home to Ma. I was required to pay Florida tax, show evidence of insurance and was issued 30 day temporary tags. When I returned to Ma, my insurance agent took care of the Ma registration. Ma gave credit for the tax paid on Florida.
2002 TK 24ft

Reply #6
Thanks for your comments, all.

Just wanted to post this so others may refer back to it in the future, I called the State of California for clarification.

The agent pretty much echoed EXACTLY what Rich said above…

The agent said, since I’m not a CA resident, as a buyer I owe CA nothing and don’t need to come in to the DMV.  This is because it is a used vehicle being purchased from a private seller.

The seller fills out and submits a Notice of Transfer/Release of Liability to California for their own protection.

The agent said that I am to drive the vehicle back to FL using the CA plates since they’re still valid (if they weren’t still valid or if the seller wouldn’t send me off leaving the current plates on the vehicle I got the impression I might need to get a temp tag) and just have the Bill of Sale and signed Title in hand in case I’m pulled over for a traffic infraction.

Thanks again!
Jason
Jason

2003 Rear Bath
"Razor Crest"
Our first RV, purchased from the original owner 01/2022

Reply #7
For all of you that use AAA to register vehicles, be advised.  I’ve registered three vehicles using AAA and had problems with two of the registrations that came back to haunt me with penalties, fees, and interest .  Both were errors made by the DMV that put in incorrect amounts, dates, or address. They did reverse their errors and waive all penalties and etc. because the errors were their errors, but it cost me time, frustration and lost hours from work.  Just saying.  The one registration they did correctly was just a transfer from me to my son.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo