Skip to main content
Topic: Electric Airstream Concept (Read 458 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Electric Airstream Concept
Reply #1
Fascinating concepts, especially the hydrogen fuel cell to power the batteries. But I had to laugh at one video where the voiceover was saying “boondocking is no boondoggle” while the video showed the owner plugging in an electric cord from some mystery source. Thanks for the link. — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #2
An all-electric or hybrid RV is going to happen sooner or later, hydrocarbon fueled engines will need to disappear if the world seriously cuts back on carbon emissions.
Adding drive motors and a battery to a trailer, slaved to the drive vehicle has been discussed for years, the day it arrives is getting closer. It would also be good for electric toads.
BTW, electric drives for trailers, used for parking and positioning in campsites have been available for several years, in European caravans.
Adding a hydrogen fuel cell is interesting, my last work car, 16 years ago, was a small Mercedes hydrogen fuel cell car, part of LAX's alternative fuel test fleet. It drove fine and was very quiet as if that mattered at an airport.

An RV fuel cell would allow remote charging, making this type of RV a hybrid and more practical for touring in areas with few, if any charging stations. This assumes that hydrogen is going to be widely available There is a very limited hydrogen fueling infrastructure but it is expanding nationally. Right now, the cost of hydrogen is still high. It's going to be a few years until this type of RV is practical.

Hydrogen can also be burned in internal combustion engines, its exhaust emissions consist of water vapor.
This could help extend the life of IC engine technology, large trucks and buses designed for natural gas can be modified to burn hydrogen.
Hydrogen can be produced with few pollution problems, using solar power or off-hour electricity to crack water into oxygen and hydrogen.  Lots of interesting things happening in the world of alternative energy.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
No vents? No air conditioner? How practical is this?
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4

It's a 'concept' vehicle from Thor, enough said. Electrification is a hot topic now so why not announce an advanced-design concept vehicle, one that will probably never be built by them. The lack of stuff on the roof looks sleeker, not to worry the HVAC system will take care of temperature issues.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
I just saw a video on it, the air conditioner is inside.  my problem is with all the electronics and what happens if it breaks down.  All the wheels lock and you can’t go anywhere.  If you are bouncing up and down traveling something’s got to break.  How are you going to get that fixed anywhere in small town America? I think one of the joys of camping with a trailer is the low tech ease of it. Having said that, I do think a lithium battery generator running the Truma Aventa air conditioner as with the Winnebago flex is a game changer for the trailer industry.  One of the things I love about a motorized RV (and prevents me from getting a trailer) is that you can pull over the side of the road walk into the back, take a nap and run the air conditioner and use the microwave to make lunch, you couldn’t do that with a trailer.  And you get get a Ford fixed almost anywhere.
AlphPup
 2001 TK “Dazi”

Reply #6
"my problem is with all the electronics and what happens if it breaks down. All the wheels lock and you can’t go anywhere."

Yup. And from what I've seen of Airstream's build quality, I wouldn't want to bet against that scenario.
Andy Baird

Reply #7
my problem is with all the electronics and what happens if it breaks down.  All the wheels lock and you can’t go anywhere.
I'm sure they will have a way of making it towable with a drive failure, either inherent in the drive train, or with a mechanical disconnect. You know, like they have manual retracts for slides in case the motor system fails?
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #9
"this is one post that I wish I know the rest of Andy's story. I may have to re-join the Airstream Forum."

I haven't posted there or even read anything there in a long time. This is my home. :-)

I've discussed Airstream's quality control issues elsewhere; suffice it to say that it's a typical mass-produced RV--not a Lazy Daze. Both my Airstreams (27' 2017 and 19' 2019 models) had numerous factory defects; in both cases the problems got fixed (mostly by me); and once that was done, I was happy with both rigs. I'm not sorry I bought Airstreams, because they are superior in many ways (design and materials), but the experience was not like buying a Lazy Daze.
Andy Baird