Skip to main content
Topic: Goodbye Dazi! (Read 479 times) previous topic - next topic
Goodbye Dazi!
I recently sold my 2001 TK which I have happily owned for the past 10 years. It has been a great joy to me.  Recently however, over the past two years I have not been able to use it due to my heavy work schedule, so it was sitting there looking sad and I sold it to a friend. Now the plan is to buy a new one to take me into my retirement years which will be two years away. I am still deciding the model.  I foresee that I will full time sola for a few years at least.  Mixed emotions right now.  For you travelling full timers, what is the best trade off, being able to go everywhere ( another TK) or comfort, (a larger model)?
AlphPup
 2001 TK “Dazi”

Re: Goodbye Dazi!
Reply #1
With full time in mind, go with the 27'.   If you don't mind sleeping in the cabover, go with the RB.   Problem solved!
Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #2
We did our "near full time" traveling all over US in our 2004 MB from 2012 to 2018. We love the MB layout which is a good balance between traveling and living in it full time where the weather is not extreme. It also has reasonable towing capacity.
2004 Mid Bath,
2007 Jeep Liberty Towed

Reply #3
Before deciding, I'd suggest attending a regional Lazy Daze get-together where you can see and hopefully tour a variety of floorplans. With that said, upgrading from a twin/king to a midbath has been a happy experience for me and others. You get the same wonderful panoramic windows in the rear lounge, but greatly increased living and storage space... in a rig that's not significantly harder to drive, or to find campsites for, than a twin/king. It's a very comfortable, even luxurious, rig for a full-timer.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Before deciding, I'd suggest attending a regional Lazy Daze get-together where you can see and hopefully tour a variety of floorplans. With that said, upgrading from a twin/king to a midbath has been a happy experience for me and others. You get the same wonderful panoramic windows in the rear lounge, but greatly increased living and storage space... in a rig that's not significantly harder to drive, or to find campsites for, than a twin/king. It's a very comfortable, even luxurious, rig for a full-timer.
Thank you I think it may be the way to go!  Would you ever consider going back to the mid bath after your experiences with owning a trailer?
AlphPup
 2001 TK “Dazi”

Reply #5
We did our "near full time" traveling all over US in our 2004 MB from 2012 to 2018. We love the MB layout which is a good balance between traveling and living in it full time where the weather is not extreme. It also has reasonable towing capacity.
Yes for the short period of time I was living in my TK, I was in extremely hot weather, and I did find that the big picture windows were actually a disadvantage. I don’t plan on staying in those kinds of conditions once retired though.
AlphPup
 2001 TK “Dazi”

Reply #6
I used the large (truck sized) windshield sunscreen for the picture windows, as needed.  Better than reflectix sheets, because the accordion fold when you no longer need.    I also cut reflectix for bathroom, entry door, driver/passenger door and cabover windows, and stored them under mattress.  Easy project and oh so handy when needed.  I also made a little folding awning/tent of reflectix to shade refrigerator, without significantly impeding airflow. 

If I were in a fixed sunny place, I'd just add an exterior window awning.
2001 26.5'  MidBath

Reply #7
"Would you ever consider going back to the mid bath after your experiences with owning a trailer?"

It's a good question. I was happy in my midbath for eleven years of full-time travel. I think its biggest drawback was the aging chassis and drivetrain. By the time I switched to a truck pulling an Airstream, my Lazy Daze was 14 years old. A van chassis that old lacks a whole lot of safety and comfort features that are standard on newer trucks, SUVs, and cars. Sure, I could have bought a new Lazy Daze... but technology is evolving all the time. When you buy a motorhome, you have to live with whatever chassis and drivetrain it comes with for as long as you own it. I've talked about my decision at length in this thread, so I won't elaborate here.

The bottom line is that while I loved my Lazy Daze, I also love my Airstream (now that the factory defects have been fixed and I've upgraded the battery/solar/electrical and other systems to my taste). My 2021 Ford Ranger pickup is as good or better than the current Ford van chassis that LD is using... and if something better comes along, I can trade either truck or trailer for an improved model. So no, I don't think I'd go back to a motorhome.

Side note: I'm 72, and I know I won't be RVing forever. Suppose I wanted to get an apartment,  downsize my rig, and only travel during the warmer months? If I wanted something small and nimble, I suppose I could buy a class B motorhome (Sportsmobile, Pleasure Way, or the like) for my remaining years. But those cost as much as Class Cs, and have the same drivetrain obsolescence problem. Instead, I'd most likely trade in my truck for a small SUV such as a Subaru Outback, and tow my 13' Trillium. A couple of years ago, I lived comfortably in it for seven months, so I know I could be happy with that combination on extended trips.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
"I won't be RVing forever. Suppose I wanted to get an apartment,  downsize my rig, and only travel during the warmer months? I suppose I could buy a class B (Sportsmobile, Pleasure Way, or the like) for my remaining years. But those cost as much as Class Cs, and have the same drivetrain obsolescence problem. Instead, I'd most likely trade in my truck for a small SUV such as a Subaru Outback, and tow my 13' Trillium. I lived comfortably in it for seven months a couple of years ago, so I know I could be happy with that combination on extended trips."

I'm with Andy. Loved my LD but it was aging out (as I am) and at 30' more RV than I needed. My Toyota van and 16' Scamp (arriving late March) should meet my lesser needs until I decide to give up RVing. 😢 Class Bs are outrageously overpriced and I've always liked having a touring vehicle (not the set up RV) at my destination. 

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #9
I hope Andy and Chris know these kind of insights are immensely helpful to those of us in the same situations as they described above.   It’s reassuring that Margee and I are not alone when struggling with that kind of decision. 

Reply #10
Fortunately for Andy and Chis, among many others, there is the LDAA (LazyDAze Alumni Association) whose members are welcome at LD outings
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE