Skip to main content
Topic: Light Fixture Troubleshooting (Read 163 times) previous topic - next topic
Light Fixture Troubleshooting
I need some help troubleshooting an issue with a light in the lounge area of my 2003 MB.

The light fixture above the sofa on the passenger side has gone out (BF = Bad Fixture). Thinking the tubes might have gone bad, I swapped them for the tubes from the fixture in the aisle near the Fantastic Fan (GF = Good Fixture). The lights from the GF did not work in the BF. The lights from the BF worked perfectly fine in the GF. This leads me to think there is an electrical issue that I don't know how to pursue.

As an additional note, the light above the kitchen sink/counter has started to go off then come back on. Not sure if the problems are related or the age of my rig is requiring some other maintenance that I have not been doing.

Any suggestions?
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Re: Light Fixture Troubleshooting
Reply #1
Are these the old fluorescent fixtures and tubes?  If so, the ballast in the BF may have died.  I really recommend modifying any old fluorescent fixtures with LED strips or LED tubes.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
The ballast in these is electronic, underneath the snap-out baffle between the tubes. Usually the little electrolytic capacitors blow apart, and replacing them brings back normal operation - if you are soldering-adept. Otherwise, no parts available, and cutting out the ballast and installing LED replacement tubes is the easiest solution. Lots of info on the site about that.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Currently, the lights are fluorescent. The previous owner left a couple of LED replacements that have not yet been installed in any of the fixtures. So I guess I'll have to give those a try.

Thanks to both of you. I guess I'll be learning a new skill. 😉
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #4
Deb, M4 LED lighting's website has a "how to" install LED replacement tubes; the info is under the "Resources" tab.

M4 Sales.com
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Thanks Joan!
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #6
Hi Debbie;  I have some old ballasts left over from my fixtures. I replaced all of my 7 florescents (14 tubes) with LED, the last one just last year. My regret is the two center fixtures I put in first were not M4, and are too harsh and bright. But I took out the sockets too, so I can't put in the M4 ones as easily.  I chose the natural white color, 4500K. They are a near perfect match for what you have now.  I had converted fixtures next to original florescent tubes, and it was hard to tell them apart, except they came on quicker, especially in cold weather.  An even more important advantage is the LED lights use less than half the power. 
    Replacing a ballast is more work than putting in the LED lights.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #7
Be aware that LED tubes come in two or more colors, ranging from warmer colors to the bright blue-white.
I like the warmer (2700K) degree blubs for the lounge area and a hotter, natural light (4000K)in the kitchen.
M4 has been my source of LEDs for years, their shop is 20 minutes from here.
M4 LED Color Ranges and Base Cross Reference

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
"Cool bright white" lighting (6000K) is what I think of as appropriate for the morgue.

YMMV, of course.
2003 TK has a new home