Skip to main content
Topic: Cold weather Rving!? Is this too extreme? (Read 315 times) previous topic - next topic
Cold weather Rving!? Is this too extreme?
Hi all,

I had planned to travel (from the temperate weather of Santa Barbara, CA) to Vancouver, WA and spend a couple of weeks to help care for my mother. She lives with my sister and a recently broke her collar bone and needs a little extra help. I had planned to park the LD (2003 Mid-bath)  in my sisters driveway, stay for two weeks, and fly home (leaving the LD so I could return monthly and stay in it).

However... I checked the weather forecast yesterday (see photo) and highs of 32 degrees with lows of 16 degrees caused me reconsider my plan.

I have read past posts on tips for cold weather rving but am wondering...Is this too extreme?  Would I be better to postpone my trip for a few weeks when the highs are back in the 40's and lows are around the mid 30's?

Your thoughts, tips, and suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!

Orin
2003 26.5 Mid Bath, gray. Family of four.

Re: Cold weather Rving!? Is this too extreme?
Reply #1
I would suggest leaving the RV at home, flying up and sleeping on the couch. We are going into the coldest part of the year, January and unless you winterize by draining all the water lines and blowing them out you will have a problem. If your MB is like ours, all the water lines etc are on the port side except for the HW heater whose lines run under the flooring, hence are the hardest to protect from freezing.

Ian Walker

ianwalker858@aol.com
2015 MB

Reply #2
It can be done, and I've spent 1-2 nights in a row in those temperatures, but I wouldn't be excited to do it for 2 weeks. 

If you do it, you will make your life easier by using the bathroom/shower in the house and leaving the RV water system winterized.  Pour water from a gallon jug for brushing teeth and other small usage. 

Electric heaters run from house electricity will also make the coach more bearable. 

Tips here: The Lazy Daze Companion: Cold Weather Camping

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #3
If you go, watch the weather in Northern California and Southern Oregon, crossing the Siskiyous Mountains can be treacherous in the winter during and after storms, carrying snow cables is advised.
When we go to Portland in the winter, we always fly.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Hello Ian, Rich, and Larry,

Thank you for your responses. After hearing your suggestions and thoughts, and seeing the weather reports for snow I decided to postpone my trip. Given the subsequent huge snowstorms, cold weather, and now rain and flooding I think it was a very wise choice and really appreciate your guidance and responses.

Also:
Larry: I certainly did not want to drive all those passes in a snowstorm. And, great to meet you at the Lake Chachuma Caravan.
Rich: Thanks for the links to additional tips.
Ian: Thanks for the reminder that perhaps its just simply better to fly and avoid freezing lines.

Orin
2003 26.5 Mid Bath, gray. Family of four.