Skip to main content
Topic: Radio and cigarette lighter not getting power (Read 265 times) previous topic - next topic
Radio and cigarette lighter not getting power
Last week we bought a 1989 Chevy 22' Front Lounge/Rear Bath, but within the first hour, the battery and alternator died. We called a mobile RV mechanic who discovered the seller (grandson of the original owner who was selling it for grandfather's estate) had recently replaced the fuses for the alternator and the horn but he used the wrong type of fuse. The mechanic said the 1989 type fuses are physically larger than standard new fuses today. Apparently, the seller had forced the too-small fuses into the slot and it worked for an hour before blowing. (Arg!)

The mechanic replaced the battery, the alternator, and the wrong fuses. After that, we drove home from Arizona to Okla. On the drive home, everything related to driving (lights, turn signals, horn, etc) worked fine, and inside the coach, the lights, fans, and water pump worked as well. (We've not yet turned on the AC or heater). However, the radio and cigarette lighter do not work. According to our Lazy Daze manual, the radio and CB (which is no longer present) are powered by the coach batteries and the cigarette lighter is powered by the Chevy engine battery. But neither are getting any power.

First, the radio: The Lazy Daze manual and several posts on this forum mention a 10 amp fuse (maybe two fuses) inside the engine chassis, near the isolator, that is clearly labeled  Radio and CB. The engine area is not large and we've searched it over and over to no avail. We did find two inline fuses that look new and appear to come off the isolator. They are not labeled Radio or CB, but removing those fuses has no discernable effect on the lights, turn signals, etc.  So we are tempted to believe they are the Radio CB fuses, except that they are only 3 and 5 amp fuses, which is too low for the radio. We're left wondering if the same person who put the wrong physical size fuse in the fuse box for the alternator and cab also put the wrong amperage fuse in the inline fuse for the radio. If this is the case, how do I confirm that?

If it's not that radio/CB fuse, then I've read on here about a hidden 12v breaker somewhere within the coach. Could that be preventing the radio from working even while all the rest of the 12v items within the coach are working? If so, does anyone know where that hidden breaker is located in a 1989 22' front lounge/rear bath model? I've looked in the handful of locations mentioned for other floorplans and can't find it. Behind my driver's seat there are two swivel chairs flanking a dinette table that covers the box for the coach batteries. It seems the hidden breaker would be near there, but again I've searched to no avail. Any ideas?

Second problem, the cigarette lighter: Is there a dedicated cigarette lighter fuse that I've overlooked? (I would think it would be in the Chevy cab fuse box with the alternator and horn fuses.) Is it possible that someone switched the power for the cigarette lighter from the chassis battery to the coach battery, perhaps when they added solar? If so, how would I confirm this?

I'm eager to get this tracked down before our next outing. It was a long drive from Phoenix to Tulsa with no radio and no way to charge my cell phone while driving! :-0  Any help will be appreciated!
1989 Chevy 22' Front Lounge

Re: Radio and cigarette lighter not getting power
Reply #1
One of the issues when buying an antique LD is you usually find all sorts of unmarked electrical wiring and changes, who know if the cigarette lighter has been changed? Tracing the wiring is the way you find out.
Our 1983 LD's dash cigarette lighter was powered from the coach battery.

The two fuses under the hood very possibly could be for the radio and removed CB, try replacing the fuses with 5-amp fuses and see what happens. Old radios didn't use much power. You could find a powered and fused wire tucked in somewhere near the location of the removed CB.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Check the fuse diagrams shown here for the original chassis wiring configuration.

Fuses and relay Ford E-Series 1988-1993
2004 Mid Bath,
2007 Jeep Liberty Towed

Reply #3
Larry — We replaced the inline fuses that we suspect are for the radio and CB, but no joy.  We see no change to the nonworking radio and cig lighter, nor the working lights, horn, blinkers, etc,   whether those fuses are the old ones, or removed entirely, or replaced with new 5 amps fuses. We’ll keep searching.

cli288 — Thank you for posting the diagram, unfortunately it won’t help because our LD is a Chevy. Any chance you have a Chevy fuse diagram? (Unlikely, I know)

Any thoughts on the hidden 12V breaker? My hunch is that if the hidden breaker was blown then everything inside the coach that’s 12v (lights, fan, etc) would stop working in addition to the radio and cig lighter. Is that correct?

Reply #4
If the 'hidden' breaker was bad, none of the interior 12-volt lights and other 12-volt accessories. would have power.

Have you pulled and checked every fuse in the LD's power center and Chevy's fuse box?

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
There is a line from the coach battery box to the engine compartment. It allows the alternator to charge the batteries, and the batteries to power those items in the dash that run from the coach batteries. There is a fuse or circuit breaker at both ends - battery box and under the hood. One of those may be tripped. One test would be to monitor the coach batteries before and after starting the engine - no change in voltage means that is your problem.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
Try if these diagrams are consistent with your chassis. I worked for Ford before retirement so I know the Ford system but not GM.

1988-1992 GMC Vandura and Chevy G20, G30 Fuse Box Diagram

As far as I know, both Chevy and GMC truck electric architectures are basically the same.
2004 Mid Bath,
2007 Jeep Liberty Towed

Reply #7
Your replies have given me a lot to go on today. I’ll post back what I discover. Thank you!

Reply #8
the 1986 LD owners manual shows those two fuses connected to the coach side of the battery diode isolation  block.  The Battery diode isolation block is usually near the engine battery. The Diode Block may have been replaced with a isolation relay.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath