Skip to main content
Topic: 2001 MB house batteries, stupid user (Read 333 times) previous topic - next topic
2001 MB house batteries, stupid user
We've typically kept our rig plugged in full time. At the start I was good about periodically checking the water level in the batteries, but over time I got lazy.

The last time we came back from a trip, we didn't immediately plug the rig in. A week later we went to it and noticed the house batteries where dead. I checked then, and the water was below the plates. I ended up putting in basically an entire jug of water to get the plates covered. We took it for a weekend trip and when we got back I left it unplugged again. After about two days I went back out and the gauge showed only fair battery condition. I have memories of it lasting weeks before seeing the internal gauge go down. We bought the batteries when we got the rig three years ago. Not sure what the typical life is for lead acid batteries. I also don't know what damage I did by running the water out, and if there is anything I can do to try to revive them. I'd appreciate any guidance.

At some point I want to move to Lithium batteries, solar, and a victronix inverter, but not ready for that yet. Is there a easier smart charger that I can swap in place of the existing one? I assume it's a dumb charger that keeps full voltage on all the time and never switches to trickle.

Thanks in advance.
2001 MB

Re: 2001 MB house batteries, stupid user
Reply #1
Sorry to say that even a "smart" converter cannot be depended upon to know what the electrolyte level is.
Since you didn't charge the batteries once you returned home, they might just need to be fully charged. Plug the rig in and fully charge the batteries and see what happens.

The LED charge indicators are just about worthless, a battery capacity gauge is a better way of judging a battery's charge level.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Depending on the length of charging on your trip, that may not have left the batteries fully charged. A battery monitor using a shunt to measure and integrate the flow of charge in and out of the batteries would be a worthwhile investment. Once set up, it can keep you intimately aware of the condition of your batteries. The monitor panel above the stove is useless. Since you are planning other future upgrades, starting with solar panels and a quality charge controller and a multi-stage converter - getting ones that can be set up for lithium batteries too - you can get sufficient charging for your current needs and be set for the lithium later.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Hi Henness;  House wet lead acid batteries generally last about 5-6 years.  A 'jug of water', half a gallon each battery?  Maybe only an inch of plates showing?  So they will have lost some capacity, but distilled water isn't sulfuric acid, so it will take some charging and mixing before they are back to normal.
   More important is what converter/charger you have in your 2001. If it is the original Parallax 6345, that is part of the problem.  I highly recommend the PD4655 VLB. A good 4 stage charger, and your batteries would benefit from some equalizing right now. Shake loose some of that sulphate.  The VLB is compatible with the higher voltage requirements of Lithium should you ever step up to Li. Just a jumper change.
    Solar is more inexpensive than ever. A 100 Watt panel is about  $100. An inexpensive controller can keep your batteries topped off.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4

I have a 1988 MB with a single stage Magntek(Parrallex) 6435.  Rig was new to me Nov 2016.  I installed 200 Watts and a New Old Stock Go Power 30amp three stage controller.  At home it is off the grid.  The solar payback was at home off the grid, while allowing a child to live in it for 9 months while regrouping.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #5
Let’s see.  Topic contains the phrase “Stupid User.”  Definition of stupid is “not intelligent : having or showing a lack of ability to learn and understand things.”  

Well … Henness owns a Lazy Daze so that’s proof enough for me that there’s no stupid in this situation.  Maybe preoccupied, forgetful, or distracted (3 of my normal characteristics) but certainly NOT stupid. 🤪

Reply #6
A significant difference between 'stupid' and 'ignorant' is that one one of them is curable.  ;)
This sounds like the kind of situation where I tell myself 'well, the next time I do that, it will be a mistake'.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #7
Brings to mind a comedy routine from Ron White, "You can't fix 'stupid'". RonB

Reply #8
Hi Henness;  House wet lead acid batteries generally last about 5-6 years.  A 'jug of water', half a gallon each battery?  Maybe only an inch of plates showing?  So they will have lost some capacity, but distilled water isn't sulfuric acid, so it will take some charging and mixing before they are back to normal.
   More important is what converter/charger you have in your 2001. If it is the original Parallax 6345, that is part of the problem.  I highly recommend the PD4655 VLB. A good 4 stage charger, and your batteries would benefit from some equalizing right now. Shake loose some of that sulphate.  The VLB is compatible with the higher voltage requirements of Lithium should you ever step up to Li. Just a jumper change.
    Solar is more inexpensive than ever. A 100 Watt panel is about  $100. An inexpensive controller can keep your batteries topped off.    RonB

It does have the original charger in it. I'll take a look at that PD4655.
2001 MB

Reply #9
Hi Henness;  This link at Best Converters.  The VL option, jumper for future Li batteries.  You don't need the remote panel. I gather that is for installations where access isn't as easy as our setups are.  PD 4655VL 55 Amp Converter Upgrade, Optional Remote Pendant      The more difficult part is that you will need to replace the fuse panel.  While it is hard to use the first two fuse slots, you can skip them and still have more branch circuits. The fuses have LED indicators to announce blown fuses. My old converter had lost much of the filtering capacitor, so the quality of the DC was poor enough to make added USB port outlets not work correctly.         RonB

Reply #10
A vote for the Progressive Dynamics Charger unit and the trusted wet cell Trojan 105s.  My two batteries will be 5 years old in February.  I have the watering kit and regularly use it.  I also routinely exercise my generator since my RV is kept at home.  I just removed them and took them to my battery guys intending to replace them with new.  The tech put a load test on them both and said they will likely go another 2-3 more years!

Gary
2007 30' TB