Skip to main content
Topic: Replacement toilet for 2000 Mid-Bath (Read 695 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacement toilet for 2000 Mid-Bath
Hi folks,

A few years ago we were getting an occasional water leak from somewhere on our toilet.  When we found ourselves at the Mothership for some other reason, I had Vince take a look and his guys replaced the toilet seal IIRC.  The problem went away so we figured we were good.

But on our recent cross-country trip, we noticed a small amount of water again on the right side of the toilet, and then just before we ended our trip, a larger amount of water in the same location.  At this point, I'm thinking it might be wise to replace this 20+ year old toilet.

I'm even wondering if a bidet option is available.  We use Japanese bidet toilets at home, and would love the option in the RV.  But that's a "want" not a need to have.  We ran into Mike and Elizabeth Coachman this summer, and saw his bidet setup in their brand new Rear Bath.  Pretty sweet!

So can anyone let me know what brand/model RV toilets are a suitable replacement, ideally with the same bolt pattern.  Also welcome inputs/suggestions on how easy or hard this job will be for DIY.  Bidet suggestions would be a bonus!

Thanks in advance,
Steven & Carol Crisp -- 2000 26.5' Blue Mid-Bath named Thistle Dew Too
Our RV Motto:  "No place to be ... and all day to get there"
2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...

Re: Replacement toilet for 2000 Mid-Bath
Reply #1
I’d suggest a quick test.   Flush the toilet and use the handheld sprayer.  Place the sprayer back in its holder and watch to see if the sprayer leaks.   I will not be surprised if that’s the source of the water. 

Reply #2
I’d suggest a quick test.   Flush the toilet and use the handheld sprayer.  Place the sprayer back in its holder and watch to see if the sprayer leaks.   I will not be surprised if that’s the source of the water. 

A worthwhile suggestion of course, but when we landed in Nevada a couple days ago, the temps were expected to be 10 degrees overnight, so I winterized the RV.  Hence that's not an option for me right now.  I can check next spring if I haven't replaced the toilet.

I'm just hoping for do some research on new toilets and wanted to look for those that would be the most appropriate replacement (e.g., height, bolt pattern, ??) for a 2000 Mid-Bath.
2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...

Reply #4
During my recent toilet leak adventure at the Balloon Fiesta, I contacted the Mothership to ask about a replacement toilet in case I needed to go that route. I was told that the toilet for my 2003 MB is still available but from Dometic (originally a Sealand 511+).

If you have the same model, you can do a Google search to see if you can find one priced better than the one I found at this link:

511+ Traveler, White

My toilet is actually off-white (bone/almond?) but I was willing to take whatever would fit. :-)

In the end, as Rich pointed out, I Just needed my vacuum breaker replaced ($60 part).
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #5
LUXE Bidet Neo 120 - Self Cleaning Nozzle - Fresh Water Non-Electric Mechanical Bidet Toilet Attachment (blue and white)

Steve,  the above Luxe Neo 120 bidet is similar to what we added to our toilet and it’s on Amazon. However, a ‘T’ would have to be installed in the water supply line to the toilet to connect to the bidet. LD did this for us when we ordered our coach for an additional charge. Also, I’m not sure if there’s room in the midbath for the valve that has to extend to the right of the toilet seat. Possibly it will fit. Some bidet models come with hot and cold water connections but that’s unnecessary as you would finished using it long before the hot water arrives. I must say that it’s a pleasure to have and saves some paper usage.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #6
LUXE Bidet Neo 185 (Elite) Non-Electric Bidet Toilet Attachment w/ Self-clean...

I installed above bidet in MB and space is not an issue. T connection was installed below the kitchen sink and I might have to drill a hole in bathroom cabinet don't remember.
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #7
"Luxe Neo 185 bidet..."

Never did I expect to stick my nose (or any other part of my anatomy) into this thread! But what the Hey?

I've traveled extensively to many parts of the world and have only seen this type of device one time. I had to study it to even comprehend how it worked and to what purpose. Now I'll relate a more down to earth procedure that serves the same function. In Turkey, a Muslim country, their toilet habits are a bit different. As you might imagine you need not expect a bidet in a U.S. military barracks, particularly in a foreign country and in a remote location.

During the course of a day's time you might expect to find yourself in the toilet in company of one of the civilian workers. It seems that they do NOT use the paper provided, relying on a discarded food can, half full of water. Do you see where this is headed? Talk about culture differences, but to each his own!!!

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #8
40% off today for Cyber Monday for you “biderers!”

TUSHY Classic 3.0 | Bidet Attachment
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
Many thanks for the inputs and suggestions.  I see now that the replacement toilet is indeed the same toilet that is there now -- good to know.  I greatly appreciate the suggestions to track down the leak, and the specific pointer to the vacuum breaker part as a likely culprit.

On the topic of Bidets, I have more questions, however.  Now my experience with them, originally in Japan, and now in my own house, is that they are a great benefit, and my quite skeptical wife is also a convert.  However, these are plug-in bidets with warm seats and warm water.  I'm having a hard time imagining the same enjoyment without the warmth.

Now we have solar on ThistleDewToo, and we often drive each day and only occasionally stay in the same place for extended periods.  Is it possible to install an electric bidet, and just monitor the battery drain/recovery?  Obviously, one could turn off the seat or water heat if needed, but if it was working within the battery budget, that seems like the best of both worlds. 

Anyone out there using a plug-in bidet in an RV?  May be a stupid question, but I'm trusting that there is no such thing ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Reply #10
Steve&Carol,  We have a Warm seat and water bidet in our home master bath and its nice to have. However it requires significant power running all the time. The bidet in the motorhome is just a non powered water pressure operated one. Water temperature is no issue as it is whatever the inside climate temperature is. We use only water from the fresh water tank and it is not generally uncomfortable. It would be an issue if getting the water from the outside city hookup in cold weather. The biggest issue you will have is taping into the water line at the back of the toilet area for hooking up the bidet hose.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #11
Hi Mike.  Thanks again for showing me your set up. I just wonder if you folks keep your rig warmer than we do.

On our recent Fall trip, it was quite cold with nighttime temps in the high 20s. We double up on quilts and always stay warm, but that mid-night bathroom run would sure be a wake-up call   :o

I’m guessing if we manually controlled the heat function, the drain might be manageable.  Hence my inquiry if anyone has done it. If not, I may put a Kill-a-watt meter on my bidet in the house and see what I find and how much control one can practically assert.

Anyone out there that has given it a try (or made the calculations why it isn’t possible)?

Reply #12
In regards to the bidet conversation.

I wanted a bidet to drastically cut down on TP waste and reduce the amount of water and flushes going into the black water tank

You can check out this bidet seat install video from manybidets.com - the seat that is in the video is very expensive, tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvBccOato7g

The round seat fits on the dometic rv toilet.  You just have to figure out how to install the water supply line in your specific rig.

If you purchase a bidet seat from them they will include the "rv install kit" as described in the video, but you have to email them or talk to them directly.  RV install kit not available online.   The owners of manybidets.com are very helpful.

While driving we use a Goal Zero 400 lithium rechargeable power source to power the seat if needed, but pretty much only power the seat if we go#2 en route.  When connected to shore power, no problem.

Have not faced a boondocking scenario with the bidet yet, but we have the Goal Zero and a couple of Jackery power sources that I guess we could use.
2021 27MB 
Towing 2021 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD

Reply #13
LUXE Bidet Neo 120 - Self Cleaning Nozzle - Fresh Water Non-Electric Mechanical Bidet Toilet Attachment (blue and white)

Steve,  the above Luxe Neo 120 bidet is similar to what we added to our toilet and it’s on Amazon. However, a ‘T’ would have to be installed in the water supply line to the toilet to connect to the bidet. LD did this for us when we ordered our coach for an additional charge. Also, I’m not sure if there’s room in the midbath for the valve that has to extend to the right of the toilet seat. Possibly it will fit. Some bidet models come with hot and cold water connections but that’s unnecessary as you would finished using it long before the hot water arrives. I must say that it’s a pleasure to have and saves some paper usage.

Purchased this Bidet w/o doing much due diligence and they use a non-standard hose fitting that I can’t locate at any hardware store.  I can’t use an adapter either.  Anyone have luck with this Luxe Bidet neo 120?

Reply #14

Howard A,

I just installed a Luxe Bidet Neo 180 in my MB and found the included adapter didn’t work for me either.  Also the hose was too short and all of the longer ones I found at Home Depot had a brass flange at the small end that wouldn’t allow the hose to be screwed onto the bidet.  I ended up getting a 1/2 inch male-male-female adapter from Amazon along with a brass 1/2 inch female-female valve and 1/2 x 5 inch brass extension from Home Depot.  The brass extension allowed me to use the Luxe hose.  Be sure to Teflon tape the connections going into and out of the brass valve.  You can read about it along with a couple of pictures here Luxe Neo 180 installation

I know it’s not the same model as yours, but I hope this still helps 😊

- John

Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #15
they use a non-standard hose fitting that I can’t locate at any hardware store

For those contemplating a bidet, you might consider one that incorporates the bidet into the toilet seat. We had the add on type in the house and rig but changed out to the all-in-one style. They are a couple more bucks but installation is pretty straightforward. In my case, I used a few inches of pex and two Sharkbite fittings from Home Depot. Here's the one that we have: Bidet
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #16
Speaking of toilets, a recent ordeal inspired me to create a new version of an old spiritual, "Dem Bones"...

That goldurned RV toilet
That goldurned RV toilet
That goldurned RV toilet
It’s no fun when it breaks!

Well, the waste valve’s connected to the… valve shaft
The valve shaft’s connected to the… valve spring
The valve spring’s connected to the… flush pedal
But it’s plastic, so it breaks!

That goldurned RV toilet
That goldurned RV toilet
That goldurned RV toilet

Oh, the bowl is connected to the… toilet base
And the base is connected to the… gasket ring
And the gasket is connected to the… floor flange
But it’s no fun when it breaks!

That goldurned RV toilet
That goldurned RV toilet
That unprintable RV toilet
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #17
"...a new version of an old spiritual..."

Andy the Bard!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #18
The details: Thetford Aqua Magic Style II toilet. The connection between pedal and waste ball valve broke, so the ball would no longer open. (Tiny interlocking plastic fingers--stupid design!) I replaced the ball and "drive arm," but it took many tries, and by the time those were fixed, the plastic pedal was damaged where the super-strong spring (not shown in the parts diagram) mates with it.

I repaired that as best I could with a wedge of wood and epoxy, but now the waste ball and water valves don't close completely when the pedal is released--I have to lift it up with my foot after flushing.

A new plastic pedal costs $46, which is ridiculous. A new base, including pedal, would be $90, but I couldn't find the low-profile version (apparently less common) in stock before mid-August. I ended up ordering a whole new toilet from Amazon. It'll be here in a few days. Two hundred bucks just to get a few plastic parts. Grrr...
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"