Skip to main content
Topic: Air Conditioner Question  (Read 286 times) previous topic - next topic
Air Conditioner Question
Our air conditioner has 4 bolts that secure the roof component to the inside unit.  Our installation instructions don’t describe how tight to tighten those bolts.  I’d be grateful if someone could give us some guidance.  Thank you 🙏. 

Re: Air Conditioner Question
Reply #1
On the last A/C I installed the instructions had a dimension for the thickness of the gasket after compression. Re read the instructions and look for that.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #2
Installation instructions are not helpful.  I’m going to call the manufacturer tomorrow.  Nevertheless thank you for the suggestion.

Reply #3
Hi Ed;  Well, tight enough!  Not much of an answer, but as you tighten the four, it just compresses the gasket more. So you want them tight enough that the air conditioner doesn't move around on the roof. Are they loose? or are you just wanting to check them?  If it has been awhile, like since it was built, just give each one a full turn to make up for some age compression of the gasket.  From what I've heard, Lazy Daze glues the bottom of the gasket in place, and then just sets the A/C unit on top.   Any leaks from 'Lake Newton' won't get under the gasket.  If you tighten it too much, it might compress enough to let the water puddle go over the top of the gasket into the A/C.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
The A/C gasket is compressible, thus tightening torque will not increase very much but the compressed thickness is important for leveling the condensation pen. Make sure all four corners have the same thickness so that the condensation is pretty much leveled or slightly tilt to lower in the front. The two drain spots, one on each side, are on the front.
Please do not over tighten the gasket. If you overtight it, the two drain spots may be blocked by the roof panel.
2004 Mid Bath,
2007 Jeep Liberty Towed

Reply #5
I thought I had tightened it enough, but I had to tighten it more after it leaked. Suggest testing with a hose before a road trip. LD did use any glue on our AC seal.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #6
Hi Ed;  Well, tight enough!  Not much of an answer, but as you tighten the four, it just compresses the gasket more. So you want them tight enough that the air conditioner doesn't move around on the roof. Are they loose? or are you just wanting to check them?  If it has been awhile, like since it was built, just give each one a full turn to make up for some age compression of the gasket.  From what I've heard, Lazy Daze glues the bottom of the gasket in place, and then just sets the A/C unit on top.

Our A/C was replaced about 18 months ago and I know most new rubber gaskets will settle after a bit.  Our unit wasn’t leaking and the roof unit felt solid.  The new gasket wasn’t glued like the original and so I’m doing preventative maintenance as part of my annual schedule. 

And the annual schedule will be done this morning after we do an engine and generator oil change (air filter, oil filter, etc.).  Oh, and after I take some Tylenol when I’m finished crawling underneath, which is the hardest part of this service. 😂