Skip to main content
Topic: LD Propane Tank Recertification Required at the 12 year Mark (Read 351 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: LD Propane Tank Recertification Required at the 12 year Mark
Reply #1
DOT tanks (like on a grill) need to be recertified, but AMSE tanks (horizontal tanks that most of us have) do not.

You should be on the lookout for rust spots, as many of us have had to deal with that issue:

The Lazy Daze Companion: Propane Tank

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #2
Yes Rich - you are correct - motorhome LP tanks are an entirely different animal. These guys are more rugged, and are permanently mounted on the chassis. The certification of motorhome tanks is through the ASME – the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. They DO NOT need to be recertified, and will probably outlive the motorhome they’re mounted on.

Cheers!

Tony R. (aka codefour)
Tony R
2010 LD RB - Sold to another happy LD Family

Reply #3
They DO NOT need to be recertified, and will probably outlive the motorhome they’re mounted on.

Assuming it doesn't rust out, every older LD I have looked at has a rusted tank.

The tanks are painted with epoxy paint that works well until it gets chipped, then water gets under the paint and starts the rust.
Some tanks have paint that is so loose, from rust, that a good portion of the paint will come off using a putty knife to get under it and then start popping it off.
Every two years or so, I scrape the loose paint of our LD's tank, then sand the surface and treat it with a rust stabilizer, such as Naval Jelly, with a couple of coats of paint following.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-Naval-Jelly-16-fl-oz-Rust-Dissolver-553472/203009241

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
"...treat it with a rust stabilizer, such as Naval Jelly"

Just to clarify, Naval Jelly is a rust dissolver, but it doesn't stabilize rusted areas. To do that you need something like Rust Reformer, which converts rust to a passive form.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Andy I have been looking for this type of product for awhile but didn't know the name. 

Thanks.

Tony R. (aka codefour)
Tony R
2010 LD RB - Sold to another happy LD Family

Reply #6
Hi Andy;  The Naval Jelly brand has phosphoric acid that does convert rust to iron phosphate as a protective surface that can be painted successfully.   Your Rust Reformer uses tannic acid and barium sulfate to form a layer of iron tannate, and does contain an organic coating material to leave a protective layer.  Rust converter - Wikipedia      Recoating the propane tank with a zinc based primer, and enamel epoxy should do a better job of protecting the tank. 
    I recoated the propane tank on a 2001 MB, parts that I could reach, in 2017. The big problem is the tank was right behind the front passenger side wheel with little protection from gravel spray.  I notice LD relocated the tank to the driver side back quarter in newer models. The rear wheels do have a gravel/mud guard.  I recoated my TK tank years ago (also in back driver side location). It still looks to be OK.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #7
"The Naval Jelly brand has phosphoric acid that does convert rust to iron phosphate as a protective surface"

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks for the correction, Ron!
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"