Skip to main content
Topic: Persistent suspension squeak (Read 458 times) previous topic - next topic
Persistent suspension squeak
My 27MB has a very loud and persistent squeak at low speeds.  When I pull into a campground at the end of the day, every little movement of the rig causes a loud squeak. The squeak sounds like it is originating in the center or rear of the rig.

To date I have:
1.  lifted the rig, separated the leaf springs, inspected the plastic pads at the spring tips, and applied a little grease between the spring leaves.  The plastic pads are in good shape. There is some red rust powder at the ends of the fat, short spring leaves, but they only move when the rig takes a hard bounce, not little motions.
2. removed the rear sway bar, inspected the bushings to the frame and ends (all look good, no cracks), and applied a little grease to all surfaces of the bushings. The front sway bar bolts are really tight and I'm reluctant to put a cheater bar on them since I can't see what secures them at the other end.
3. I have had Cyndy try to rock the rig back and forth with me under the rig to listen, but when it is cold it doesn't squeak almost at all.  That or she is too petite to move it enough.  (Do I get points for this?)

Interestingly, there is very little noise when the rig is started in the morning, but it is very loud at the end of a long day of driving.  It squeaks with side to side movement as well as for/aft movement. Even stepping on the entry step will cause a squeak, but not consistently to rock the vehicle and crawl under the coach to look for the origin.

I have Bilstein shocks from the factory and we have 43,000 miles on the rig and shocks.  The shocks seem to be working with no persistent bouncing or swaying after initial disturbances.  Can shocks make a loud squeak when they get warm?  I have never encountered that previously with other trucks.

The Lazy Daze has the noisiest suspension of any of our vehicles, including the 2002 4X4 F350 that launches boats in and out of the ocean and gets driven on sandy and salt water beaches.  I'm at my wits end and am running out of ideas.  Any suggestions?

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Re: Persistent suspension squeak
Reply #1
Loose frame bolts?
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Good idea Joan.  I checked them and they are tight.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #3
You've checked the leaf springs and the frame bolts; a rear shocks check next, definitely including the mounting bolts and bushings. (JMO)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Hi Harold; I had a squeak once that would come and go.  My trick was to find a block wall unobstructed that I could drive near with the window open. Reflected sound was enough to tell it was a wheel simulator rubbing on the steel wheel underneath the cover. A little grease stopped that, and rotated 180 degrees.
   Check the steering damper, and front suspension next.  Exhaust pipes and hangers squeak out of proportion to their size also.  Good luck.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5
Thanks Ron,
Good ideas.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #6
My 27MB has a very loud and persistent squeak at low speeds.

I have had Cyndy try to rock the rig back and forth with me under the rig to listen, but when it is cold it doesn't squeak almost at all.  That or she is too petite to move it enough.  (Do I get points for this?)

Yes, you get points but know your petite wife or a group of them couldn't rock the suspension much.BTDT
The noise may not be in the suspension, instead, the coach can be a source of the noise.

I have cured some annoying squeaks like this by tightening the dozens of sheet metal screws that secure the galvanized sheet metal that covers the bottom of the floor. One loose screw can make a lot of noise as the sheet metal moves past the screw.
Use a nut driver or a 1/4" drive socket set.

While you are at it, snug all the nuts that attach the coach to the frame rails but don't overtighten them. The nuts have 9/16" heads and most can be tightened using a 9/16" combination wrench and a 9/16" socket with an extension and a 3/8" ratchet.
This is also a good time to check the bolts that secure the holding tanks, generator, and entry step. Some entry steps loosen regularly, depending on the amount of use and weight of the occupants.
Anything you can get a wrench on should be checked for tightness.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Thanks Larry.
Great suggestions.  I will follow through and hit all the places you suggested.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #8
Hi Harold,

I would check the exhaust system including the shields around the tailpipe. You could have a loose heat shield or hanger that acts differently when it is hot than when it is cold. A couple of metallic hose clamps might be the silencer you are looking for.

I have used a rubber mallet to tap pipes looking for squeaks and rattles. Good luck

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #9
Thanks Steve,
Good ideas.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #10
I have an inherited squeak in the front end area.

My mechanic told me it was exactly what Ron B said about his squeak. Mine is heard when it is quiet or the windows are open and I am moving slowly. 
 New tires means off and on of wheel covers and no change. scratching head..
mar 🌴❤️🌺
Current 1 and only: 2003 LD Mid Bath 26.5
2017 Winnebago Minnie Winnie TT
2011 Dutchman Colorado 32' TT
2011 iCamp 14' TT
1985 Coachman Catalina 32' RV

Reply #11
Suspension squeaks.. 94 / 22.5 TK / G30 / 454 V8
82K - all new brake system /  Tires Front Michelin  2yrs old / Rear Tires are 1yr old approximately 1,200 miles on the tires at most.  We live in Southern California, so it seems as if we are driving off road all the time.
The squeaks are awful!  We have never had any grease added to anything.  Oh, Front ball joints were replaced when brakes were done… So, please advise what you all think I should tighten and grease.   At times I believe the front step bounces all over the place making noise, my wife claims noises are from  the tire area and not behind her at the step. 
Again, what type of grease for a 94 Chevy and location? 
The brakes have been entirely replaced, thank the Lord the waffling is gone. 
Oh, we tried air shocks, sadly it did not fit.
1994 Twin King

Reply #12
I had a squeek that from the wheel simulator (center piece on the wheel cover when the rivets began to fail.  Replaced them with pop rivets that I found failing on this trip.  Replaced with 8/32 x 1/2" SS bolts and a bit of locktite blue - will find out tomorrow if that fixed it.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #13
Hi ChrisB;  Larry W or someone with experience with the G30 chassis would be best here.  So with a '94 rig. all sorts of things could be causing that squeak.  Most likely it is suspension components making the noise, as a result of wear.
    The ball joints are just one item.  Front shock absorbers and the bushings at each end. By now the rubber bushings have aged. The upper and lower control arms bushings also could have aged out. Tie rod ends, power steering components, even coil springs that have to turn when the wheels are turned can squeak.  If you haven't greased anything, you should have. There are wear points that need to be greased routinely, even at just 82k miles. Low mileage for a '94 rig.  Front suspension specialty shops will help. Look for old mechanics that may have experience with old chevy chassis.
      Did the noise start suddenly, or did it just keep building up - starting from a small occasional squeak?  Did it start just after maintenance was done, or a particularly bad pot hole or curb impact?
     I found this YouTube. The video does show suspension components.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIMMfoAmUao      Hope this helps.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #14
Not knowing just what kind of squeak it is, have you tried just tightening all the bolts that fasten the coach to the chassis, AND the bolts that hold the entry steps?  We achieved blessed silence once we did this. YMMV (as dear Joan would have added). — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #15
A thirty-year-old LD could have many sources of squeaks. There are about a dozen grease fittings on the front end, have they all been lubed?  The driven shaft's u-joints may have grease fittings too.
A thorough inspection by a suspension mechanic would be a good thing to start with, your average auto mechanic may not be as experienced or have the equipment to repair the problem(s).
G30's idler arms wear quickly and can cause wandering. The front A-Arm bushings are steel and definitely will squeak if not lubed.

The reality is no one can tell you what is making the noise(s) without a deep inspection by an experienced eye.
It's time to find a good mechanic

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #16
Fantastic Information All.
I have 2yr old Bilstein’s on the rear.  The front Bilstein’s are five yrs old.  My mechanic thought the front two looked good.  The rear had issues.

Last two yrs I have had complete brake job on rear and  front brake systems..  I really messed up driving with the emergency brake on for a couple miles coming home from getting gas.
I claim it was not my complete fault as that light was not working, it works now. 
Front brake job, I replaced all the lines, master cylinder, etc.. I had the Ball Joints replaced at this time.  I had the front end redone nine yrs ago, but did not have new springs  replaced.  
My step is all messed up, I think that noise and others, California roads drive me crazy.   I need to go out to Vince and him fix my step, I have to pull on it as if I was yanking out Wisdom teeth. 
What type of freeze?
I will look for a good / old suspension shop in San Gabriel Valley.  If you have one in my please send that info to me.
Finally  I replaced my air co shroud last week… it had developed a few small cracks that created a minor water issue… when I put my hand on the air /co shroud it splintered into 10 pieces.. thank the Lord I was ready with a new shroud.
94/V8/454-7.4L TK
I will review advice and get to diagnosing squeaky 94 Daze.

1994 Twin King