Skip to main content
Topic: Meditating on the clearance lights (Read 286 times) previous topic - next topic
Meditating on the clearance lights
While cleaning the nose cone after a recent trip, I found a lot of dirt around the perimeter of each clearance light (the five Bargman 59 series 2" x 4" amber lights at the top of the nose cone).  Dirt had also collected inside each lens, especially in the center fixture.  When I carefully, but perhaps imperfectly removed its lens, nearly half of the molded lens retaining lip cracked (part of the single-piece ABS molded base).  On examination the base was discolored and brittle.  The fixtures are 10 years old.  They have been continuously exposed to the elements. 

Question: Should I replace all the fixtures? 

I prefer to preempt future problems, but the process of replacing them (see The Companion) raises concerns about possibly introducing new and larger problems.

Jim
Jim & Sue
Formerly owned: 2011 27' MB, Sidra

Re: Meditating on the clearance lights
Reply #1
My vote is to carry spares and replace them as they fail.

Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #2
Thank you, Harry.  Your proposal -- and its two "seconds" in the form of Likes -- has been adopted. 

I remain curious about the experiences of those who have recently replaced a Bargman clearance light on the nose cone.  Hard?  Easy?  Surprises?

Jim
Jim & Sue
Formerly owned: 2011 27' MB, Sidra

Reply #3

Jim and Sue,
I recently replaced some of the marker lights on the nose cap and rear of my 2007 TK.  They all worked, but several had cracked lenses, and I was worried about moisture getting in to the LD.

I decided as I replaced the lights, I would upgrade them to LED lamps.  Bargman makes "plug and play" replacement lenses with the LED module included.  Replacing the lenses was easy, and the new LED bayonet fitting went right into the existing socket in the lamp base.

I had trouble with one of the rear lamps.  I found the base cracked, and the socket was damaged.  So I had to replace the base and the lens/led unit.  It was not too difficult, but there was plenty of sealant and that was difficult to remove.  I was lucky in that when I ordered some of the replacement LED lenses, I ordered the part number that had the base and the lens.  I may have ordered those from ETrailer.

My plan is to slowly replace the lamps to the LED version, symmetrically as the incandescent ones fail.

In any case, here is a link to the ones I got on Amazon.  You can search there or ETrailer and find what you need.  I like the idea of making the change to LED lighting.  Amazon.com: Bargman 42-59-412 Clearance/Side Marker Light (LED Lens Upgrade...

Good luck with the project!
Bill H

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
1999 Provan Tiger
2007 23.5 TK

Reply #4
My vote is to carry spares and replace them as they fail.
Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke.

After you replace one or two clearance lights, seeing how much polyurethane sealant needs to be removed, repairing or replacing them as needed becomes much more attractive.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
I have a few forward clearance lights out and I am hoping it’s just something like a bulb. I did replace the rear lights to LED and it was difficult, because it was not the same kind of fitting. I am however very happy I did it since I have been in several bad rain storms and felt that the brighter LED lights on the rear made us much more visible in that weather.
Mari Casanova
2004 Rear Bath "Koko"
1996 Rear Bath  "Cool Runnings"

Reply #6
The marker lights as well as two interior lights in my TK use bulbs that have  a “wedge base”. As the bulb is pushed into a light fixture socket the base of the bulb makes contact with corresponding spring like contacts in the socket for power. From what I can see the spring contacts can loose their grip over time.

I’ve had a bulb go out but most of my failures have been due to the spring contacts failing to maintain a good grip on the bulb. I have attempted to adjust these contacts with mixed results. Interesting fact is that the LED replacement bulbs I got from Superbrightleds.com have a little more thickness to their base and have made a much more reliable contact.
Steve
2003TK