Skip to main content
Topic: Parallax vs Progressive Dynamics (Read 217 times) previous topic - next topic
Parallax vs Progressive Dynamics
The Parallax power converter in the new LD has quite the audible cooling fan when it comes on. I never heard the PD power converter I installed in our previous Lazy Daze.

Is this what others have experienced?

Makes me think about changing it out.

2021 Mid Bath

Re: Magnetek vs Progressive Dynamics
Reply #1
It may be because I wear hearing aids but I haven’t noticed any noise I would call excessive coming from the power converter.

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #2
It does have an audible fan.  It's not a lot of noise and not too often, so I think it's tolerable.  First time I heard it, I thought it was the heater fan with no heat and I was worried about a broken heater, although it is much quieter than the heater.
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #3
This complaint has been heard quite a few times about newer LDs, it was a big problem a few years back when a 75-amp converter was used, the loud fan ran whenever shore power was present.
Your choice is the live with it or replace it. I’m puzzled why LD uses noisy converters when much quieter models are available
Our nearly 15 years old PD9270 converter is still very quiet, the fan rarely runs.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
I find it interesting that you have a Magnetec converter because my 2021 RB came with a Parallax converter. Since the Parallax wasn’t designed to charge lithium batteries I swapped it out for a Progressive Dynamics 4655 that has the lithium charging settings. Both converters have an audible cooling fan that runs seldom and not loud.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #5
This complaint has been heard quite a few times about newer LDs, it was a big problem a few years back when a 75-amp converter was used, the loud fan ran whenever shore power was present.
Your choice is the live with it or replace it. I’m puzzled why LD uses noisy converters when much quieter models are available
Our nearly 15 years old PD9270 converter is still very quiet, the fan rarely runs.

Larry

My mistake Larry.

For some unknown reason I had it in my head they were the same company.

I edited my top post to correct my error.

2021 Mid Bath

Re: Parallax vs Progressive Dynamics
Reply #6
"I’m puzzled why LD uses noisy converters when much quieter models are available."
---
I'm speculating, but I can think of a few reasons: 1) Whoever selected the Parallax wasn't aware of the fan noise (or didn't think it was a big deal). 2) The Parallax was a cheaper unit than the PD. 3) LD bought a bunch of Parallax converters and will install that stock until it's gone.

Considering how slowly the production lines at LD are running and LD's MO of making product changes/improvements at glacial speed (even when more efficient options are available), I suspect that whatever is being produced and delivered now and into who knows when (are there any rigs being delivered?) will have the noisy fan Parallax converter.

YMMV, as always.
2003 TK has a new home