Skip to main content
Topic: Potential LD purchase (Read 444 times) previous topic - next topic
Potential LD purchase
Hello! I'm excited to be here, everyone is so kind and helpful!

I'm brand new to all this, but found an LD that fits in many ways and had a few questions.

The potential purchase is a 1995 26.5 with 120,000 miles. My husband is not happy about the mileage at all. My SIL is a mechanic and said a new engine is around $8,000. He also believed it was high mileage but these engines can go a long time if looked after correctly. We plan to use the LD about 350 miles a month. I know there's no magic number, but what has been the experience of others for how long before a new engine is required? It has a new tranny (around a year).

I want to find an LD to keep! I don't plan on reselling anytime soon. I particularly like the updated interior of the one I found. But my big fear is water damage. If I can even find an RV inspector, what is the usual protocol for that sort of thing? Bring the LD home and have a time line for inspection? Have it inspected before even driving to look?

Thanks so much for any input. I really want to do this right, but I don't want to wait too long and miss out on a purchase that will have me sorry while I continue to look.

Cynthia
On the search for a 26.5 MB
to be our home away from home

Re: Potential LD purchase
Reply #1
Hi Cynthia,

I would recommend an inspection pro or to purchase. No on June and type Certified RV Inspector to fine line in the area you need. Best of luck.
2002 TK 24ft

Reply #2
Hi. I’m a long time Lazy Dazer (16 years) as well as a Certified RV Inspector with NRVIA along with my husband who is a Certified Advanced RV tech. I highly recommend an inspection if you can as well as have someone show you how to take care of and use your rig properly. I’m in New Mexico but my hubs and I will travel depending on location. If you are interested in an inspection, let us know if you are in our close travel area: Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado. If not, you can find an inspector at NRVIA – National Recreational Vehicle Inspectors Association  there’s nothing Like a Lazy Daze! We considered getting a bigger rig but could not do it. We are spoiled!

Reply #3
These hi mileage units pre 2004 (had issues with spark plugs blowing out of heads)  were selling for around 10k to 15k.....if sound, had maint records, no leaks and no rust then add another 10kto 15k over the next 2 to 5 years...replace all hoses,radiator, water pump...thermostat, suspension work...shocks..ujoints, center support. Chassic ac compressor, hoses etc, .alternator, drive belt pulley and tensioner, fuel pump, fuel lines, injectors sparks plugs(by something very experienced in time certs) replace transmission arou d 150k to 200k. Differential services are a must if towed.axle seals,
Brakes.....calipers, hubs/rotors, brake lines, parking brake assembly that cause transmission to go out, master cylinder, ....the list goes on and this is just the chassic unless you plan to park it on property and live in it.
Resealing the entire roof, roof rails/caps, windows, compartment gaskets.
Propane tank inspection...rusty, replace valve...is it still securely fasten to frame or are supports rotten and rusted..generater fuel line to gas tank...carb need rebuilding from sitting up with bad gas(need to keep fuel stabilizer and sea foam in tank. Roof ac, roof fans, fridge vent cover, skylights, covers on fans. Toilet repairs, water pump, new fridge (1800.00) sink faucets, blk, grey and fresh water tanks ...and leaks, cracks supports still holding them in place. Rear hitch bolts still in tack...sheared off, rusted.... entrance door does it leak, has the wind caught it one to many times...awning replacement...
Upholstery, carpet, flooring....
People please think about what you are buying and the age of all components. Yes i have seen a carfax of "one " lazy daze ..an 06 with 350k...but it had lots of garage visits and not sure if eng, trans , diff had been replaced...the double..triple pandemic price increase is just not right....look at the old 2019 price list take 3 years off and that is what the price should average...yes their are garage kept coaches with looks of added components but at the end of the day everything on it is 20 to 30 years old....and the present owners have run down their bank accounts, aged out of travelling and no longer want to deal with it .then of course you need to store an old coach under cover to protect its aging as a whole. Insurance, gas at 8 to 10mpg...at 3.50 t0 4.25 a gallon.
I have been saving to buy the newest coach i can. I know every coach will need.something.....just saying think before you leap...wait a year or 2 for all this crazy business to subside. If not goodluck..
2017 Casita Spirit Deluxe
2016 Twin King 24ft
2017 Casita Independence Dlx
2004 Midbath 26.5

Reply #4
I agree with everyone here. I have a 30-year-old LD and am still getting lots of use out of it and it's in good condition and has spent it's life in SoCal, which helps. I spend a lot of time and $ maintaining my LD. However, anytime something breaks I have a lot of difficulty finding replacement parts or workarounds to keep it going in working condition.  And Lazydaze says it won't work on LDs over ten years old. They also have cut lots of replacement parts for LDs over a few years old if they have changed parts/vendors or etc.  Consider the newer vs older tradeoff very carefully, more money upfront may be better than the ongoing outlay which can be sizable depending on the repairs or maintenance needed. JMHO
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #5
Wow! Thank you so much for the thoughtful answers! It really is a tough choice. I have a lot to think about.

I've always been one to appreciate vintage and my husband loves new things. So maybe an LD that's not as old is a good solution since they keep the same vintage-feel. Lots to discuss. I'm going to be talking to an inspector in a little bit over the phone, so that will help as well.

Thanks again everyone!

Reply #6
I can't locate the 2019 price guide FRANRAM mentioned. Can anyone help me locate one? I did a search for quite a bit and pulled up a nada guide, but I know I once saw a list of values somewhere. I must be putting in the wrong search term.

Reply #7
There is no published LD asking price guide, and using NADA guides, even as a ballpark figure, is misleading. Asking prices for Lazy Daze motorhomes, even old rigs and those in dubious (or obviously poor!) condition can be all over the place. It's currently a seller's market; the limited availability of used LDs, particularly later model LDs in good condition, has bumped up the prices significantly! I understand that trying to determine a "fair" price of a used LD can be frustrating, but in the current market, sellers of even rigs in bad shape and needing thousands of dollars of rehab are going for - and getting, in many cases - whatever the traffic will bear.

Re: older, higher mileage LDs. While it's true that a newer, lower mileage rig may have fewer problems than an older, higher mileage rig, the "desirability gap" between newer and older may narrow if the older rig has had diligent, consistent, and appropriate maintenance of the engine, systems, appliances, and the "box" over its lifetime. Those new to RVs and RVing may not realize that there are many dozens of "checkpoints" to inspect when assessing the condition of a used rig. I suggest downloading and familiarizing yourself with the points on this inspection checklist; having even a rudimentary understanding of the multiple check points will help make a better decision.

Checklist - RV PDI Inspection - Changing Gears

Additionally, you will want to familiarize yourselves with the changes in Ford engines, transmissions, and other systems; the link on the home page of this forum to the "Changes through the Years" document is a good place to start.

RVs, even newer rigs in good shape, offer their owners endless opportunities to spend money; as has been said many, many times, RVing is not an inexpensive lifestyle!  ;)

Good luck with the search.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Any buyer should get a pre-purchase inspection if they think it's helpful, but I would caution anyone against buying an older rig unless they have the skills and desire to tackle major mechanical (engine/transmission) and coach (wood rot / broken appliances / plumbing) issues. 

Any rig will have issues, and older rigs will have more than newer ones.

With an older rig, the cost of repairs quickly exceeds the value of the coach, even if you DIY as much as possible.

I don't want to sound discouraging, but every year we see 3 or 4 people who buy something with hidden problems.  Buying an older rig takes a certain type of owner with the right mix of resources, skills, and patience.

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #9
"I don't want to sound discouraging, but every year we see 3 or 4 people who buy something with hidden problems.  Buying an older rig takes a certain type of owner with the right mix of resources, skills, and patience."
---
It may be that the "3 or 4" who buy rigs with "hidden problems" are only the ones we hear or read about; I suspect that there are many more with buyers' remorse.

I definitely agree that buying an older rig requires doing all the homework to educate oneself on all aspects of RV purchase and ownership, as well as using special caution and a high degree of attention to reality checking when assessing the condition of a used rig in the light of one's own knowledge, skills, time, and cash availability.

An additional issue to consider when deciding to buy an RV is that maintenance and repair services for the engine, systems, appliances, body work, and everything else on the "road house" may be limited; in many areas, it has become more and more difficult to find skilled/competent, timely service (and, often, parts) for anything in or on the rig.

I believe that most people on this forum are encouraging and supportive to those considering buying an RV, but paying close heed to the caveats that have been posted so many times on this board is a must to lessen one's chances of ending up with a POS, lifestyle buzzkill beater.

YMMV, as always.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Wow! You are all so amazing!

I like a good reality check since I'm a natural-born dreamer. Lol! So thank you for that.

I read over the changes on the resources. I can't believe how much information there is here. I'm beyond grateful!

My SIL is a mechanic and I've asked him about this engine. Definitely pros and cons.

I've decided that no matter what, I won't buy any LD without an inspection. I'm just not knowledgeable enough. I want to learn everything and someday I will have more experience under my belt, but for now, I don't want to make a purchase without an inspection.

I have one big obstacle that I never expected in a million years. I have nowhere to store one! We will be moving next year and will have room then. I thought I'll just store it at a storage facility until we move. Nope!! I've called 21 places (yep, I just counted), and they are full. One has a 3-year waiting list!! Until I find a place, I can't purchase anyway.

Thank you!

Cynthia