Skip to main content
Topic: Inverter placement? (Read 343 times) previous topic - next topic
Inverter placement?
We have been using an inverter for our morning coffee grinder, running it off the chassis battery at the dash.  This is an inconvenient location that involves moving the cab quilt and disturbing the dog's beauty sleep every morning.

I'd like to keep the inverter as close to the batteries as possible, which places it on the port side of our 27MB. There isn't enough room above the fuse panel and converter due to the drop down counter leaf.  The panel along the floor beneath the oven is a possibility, although not an ideal location.

Since this will require a larger gauge re-wire to the batteries, I would like to install a 600W continuous load pure sine wave inverter so that charging our e-bike batteries is possible when we are off grid and have sunny days. Having the inverter close to the galley will be useful for coffee grinding.

Any ideas?

Harold

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Re: Inverter placement?
Reply #1
In my 2003 midbath, the factory mounted a 400 W inverter (for the satellite receiver) in an otherwise unused forward corner in the cabinet under the fridge, accessible from the drawer or cabinet (I forgot which) below the fridge.

You could also mount the inverter in the outside storage compartment that's below the battery compartment. Either location would put it very close to the batteries. I had a 2,000 W PROsine inverter/charger mounted in that compartment. If you mounted your 600 W inverter to the ceiling of that compartment, you wouldn't even lose significant storage.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Thanks Andy,
That is a good idea and I hadn't thought of that.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #4
Gosh Don,
You are correct.  I did not see the Koko blog entry, since it is no longer part of the Companion.  I should have followed the link in the Companion.  The entry has some good ideas.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #5
I started the KoKo blog long before The Companion. Since I control KoKo I know the links will be valid - unlike many of the links to external sites on The Companion.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy