Skip to main content
Topic: 1997 engine/transmission (Read 208 times) previous topic - next topic
1997 engine/transmission
I am concerned about the sparkplug blowout, manifold issues, and transmission problems in older models.   Im considering purchasing  a 1997 27’ mid bath.  I’m making extensive lists of what to check when looking at older LDs, but these issues concern me.  I’ve read that the only really good fix is new heads at around $4K.  It sounds like I could assume that all of these with 4 threads will at some time blow out a sparkplug, regardless of installation procedures. 
I would appreciate any comments on these issues. 

Jim

Re: 1997 engine/transmission
Reply #1
I am concerned about the sparkplug blowout, manifold issues, and transmission problems in older models.  Im considering purchasing  a 1997 27’ mid bath.  I’m making extensive lists of what to check when looking at older LDs, but these issues concern me.  I’ve read that the only really good fix is new heads at around $4K.  It sounds like I could assume that all of these with 4 threads will at some time blow out a sparkplug, regardless of installation procedures. 

Jim
Jim, I'm no mechanic and can't really specifically speak to the issues you mention. However, I think your assumptions (spark plug failure, etc.) are anecdotal and not based on actual statistics. In the 21 one years of publication of this forum, reports of sparkplug, transmission and manifold failure have been minimal. Does that mean there are not issues with those functions? Of course not. However, owners tend to report such failures on an active brand-conscious forum. So, I'm giving you my anecdotal impressions and would add that a thorough mechanical inspection of any older Lazy Daze would be prudent. Sounds like you are  in sync with that.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
"I am concerned about the sparkplug blowout,..."

Jim, welcome to the group. You came to the right place... spark plug blowout has been cussed and discussed multiple times on this forum. Use the search function to learn about it. Larry Wade is our go-to guy on this topic. Have heart, there is a fix.   ;)

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
I am concerned about the sparkplug blowout, manifold issues, and transmission problems in older models.   Im considering purchasing  a 1997 27’ mid bath.  I’m making extensive lists of what to check when looking at older LDs, but these issues concern me.  I’ve read that the only really good fix is new heads at around $4K.  It sounds like I could assume that all of these with 4 threads will at some time blow out a sparkplug, regardless of installation procedures. 

Jim
Does this '97 have the V10? In '96 it was a V8 and in '98 the V10, but I have no info on '97.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Jim, I am also not a mechanic ...
But I have  1997 MB with just over 50,000 miles on it, and I've asked at reputable repair places with every oil change about the spark plugs, since these failure stories  also concerned me.  The engine still runs perfectly and they always say that if there's no problem, to leave it alone. I carry on and so far so good, even towing a car. Yes, something could happen tomorrow, but this is a good rig and I keep going, six months a year, for nine years now.  New tires, yes. Solar power, yes.  Serpentine belt, yes. Regular maintenance, yes. Drive slow and let others pass, yes. New batteries, more often than I like, yes. But I can only anticipate so much to prevent in the future. At 75 years young and solo, I have other things to worry about.

1997 MB

Reply #6
Our 99 MB with the V10 didn't have any spark plug problems in the14 years we owned. I had the plugs checked several times over the years.
George & Jo Ann
2017 MB

Reply #7
Perhaps this is obvious, but spark plugs, manifold, and transmission issues have little to do with LazyDaze.

Those are Ford issues, and are no more likely to have problems on LazyDaze coaches than any other vehicle (motorhome, van, truck, ambulance, etc...) that shares those parts. 

A 1997 coach is almost 25 years old, which means you're probably in for some unexpected expenses along the way.  It's just hard to guess which issue will get you first :) 

FWIW,

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #8
I have a 97 with over 220k miles.  Yes this can be a problem but it is manageable and normally shows up shortly after changing the plugs.  When I first got mine I on the first long trip I was getting a few miss-fire codes on various cylinders under heavy load.  I decided to check the plugs when I got back and could not believe the plug gap.  You could tell they had not been changed in a very long time.  When inspecting the cylinders I found that there was a repair done on the #5 cylinder from a previous blowout.  When replacing the plugs take your time and plan on re-torquing after a few hundred miles as some may loosen up.  I had 2 that I was able to catch before it was too late after a couple of heat up cycles.  Then after a year and some long drives we had a blow out on the #5 cylinder due to the insert that was used loosened up and the insert and plug came out.  We were 80 miles from home and I was able to remove the injector to that cylinder and drove home with it sounding like a Harley.  I made a appointment with BlownOut sparkplug and managed to drive it 150 miles after threading the plug and insert back in.  BlowOutSparkplug epoxied a larger insert in place for a few hundred on a Saturday morning in about an hour.  We spent more time discussing his other projects than the repair.  So if you are mechanically inclined and willing to spend the time rechecking the plugs a few times after replacing them you should fine and it isn't a problem.  It is also shows up on the rear plugs due to coolant leaking into the hole.  I even bought his emergency repair kit if I found someone that needs it while I'm on the road.  Emergency Plug Kit
I love the discount I got on my TK because others were worried about the high mileage and little rot.  I have another good story about replacing the head studs too.  Some day I may get a rebuilt motor at 3k and install that with the newer head but the more miles I put on it the less inclined I am to do so. 
1997 TK

Reply #9
Thank you all for your relating your input/experience with this issue.  I just read an post where Larry W says the older engines are a catastrophe waiting to happen.  Another says that an inspection and plug replacement by the blownoutplug guys is worthwhile. 
If they find a problem, then fix it.  Having built my own race engines for 15 years, I’m well aware of the benefits of preventative  maintaince.  And anything mechanical and electrical will fail, probably at the worst possible time.
So, I’ll let you all know what I decide, after a thorough examination. 

Reply #10
Spark plug blowouts are real. Our V10 blew one and destroyed itself in the process.
Last winter our friends 2002 LD blew one out in the desert while we were traveling with them. They had inserts installed in all ten holes.
It is a show stopper that can take weeks to get repaired.

I suggest a 2004 or newer model that doesn’t have the issue.
Lastly, the 1997, 98 and 1999 V10s have only 265 HP compared to 305 HP for the later engines.

A 24 year old RV can have dozens of problem, be sure you and your pocket book can deal with them.
The joys of antique motor home ownership are over rated.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #11
As Larry said, the early V10's have less horsepower. 40 is a lot but my TK, the lightest floorplan compared to the 26.5 and 31', is still quite nimble. (relatively speaking)  Antiques are still good, it depends on condition as always.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB