Skip to main content
Topic: cell phone carriers (Read 230 times) previous topic - next topic
cell phone carriers
I know this issue has been kicked around before but more towers are going up and things change.   I'm considering going form verizon to Consumer Cellular.   Is anyone doing ok with Consumer Cellular which I believe is AT&T although with a lower priority if there is a back up in traffic .   verizon is now about $75 while Consumer Celluar could go as low as $20 depending on my usage.
verizon seems to be getting away with some very high rates unless you are in some sort of family program.    Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Re: cell phone carriers
Reply #2
Frank, we have been testing two identical phones (Apple SE), one on Verizon, the other on CC, as we are considering switching. We’ve traveled along I-40 from California to Arkansas and are now testing them along the backroads of Texas. With few exceptions, Verizon has had the best signal. Frequently, CC has no signal where Verizon has a couple of bars. However, here in Llano, where we currently are, CC has better coverage than Verizon. Go figure.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
"Is anyone doing ok with Consumer Cellular which I believe is AT&T although with a lower priority if there is a back up in traffic."

Frank,

I commented in the recent thread referenced by Ed & Margee in Reply #1 about my experience with CC over several years now. Unless there has been a recent change, Consumer Cellular is not a part of AT&T. It does use AT&T & T-Mobile network infrastructure to provide its services.

Bill

Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #4
We just completed a swing from Northern Va to central to northern Vermont and back via Assateague MD.  We now are in Alabama heading for Tucson. We have a FMCA Sprint MiFi that runs on cell and a Verizon phones. We do not have any external antennas or signal amplifiers.

We found that the two cell systems roughly equal. There were times in Vermont where one would work when the other would not, but in general if one was without cell the other was too with Verizon having a slight edge.  My wife has configured her phone, an iPhone 10sMax, to use the MiFi to make calls via the internet.  I have not done that with my iPhone 12 proMax as I can use other apps most of the time (FaceTime audio, Zoom audio, Facebook messenger audio). This works for me as many times I am happy with no connectivity.

John

Quick Edit. Sprint was purchased by T-Mobil.  We have not seen a difference.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #5
Thanks for all the info, I’ll definitely need to refer back to this discussion if I ever find our next rig and get back on the road.
Susan Wilson
'95 MB
'03  Front Lounge
'15   TK
‘21 MB