Skip to main content
Topic: Motorhome registration renewal while traveling (Read 314 times) previous topic - next topic
Motorhome registration renewal while traveling
Our new LD has a May registration renewal date here in California. Normally we are on the road during that time.

How do you all deal with this scenario plus getting it smog checked?

::)
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Motorhome registration renewal while traveling
Reply #1
Your new rig will not need a smog test for five years.
If you use a mail forwarding, the registration can be done easily online. You will need the registration number from the mailed notification.
The new registration and tags will be mailed and hopefully forwarded to you.

Larry

Reply #2
Your new rig will not need a smog test for five years.
If you use a mail forwarding, the registration can be done easily online. You will need the registration number from the mailed notification.
The new registration and tags will be mailed and hopefully forwarded to you.

Larry

Thanks.
I could just renew online like I always do and save it to my phone. In the slim chance we get stopped is have that and a decent explanation.
When we returned home the stickers and registration would be waiting.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #3
In California, at least, you can do the registration at AAA, if you are a member. They print the registration and give you the tags, then send your check to the DMV. It shows up immediately as registered.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
We make a point of visiting the DMV in Blythe to renew ours every winter. Fast, friendly, no crowds or lineups.
fu
2015TK

Reply #5
Not in CA, but in my state the inspection can be done up to 90 days before the tag expires.  I get the rig inspected early if I expect to be gone and complete the registration via computer. 

Also in NC, there is a provision for vehicles to be inspected elsewhere if they are out of state when renewal time comes.

Your state might have something similar. 

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #6
Ted,

I recently paid the tags on our ‘15 LD. No smog was required. That’s 8 years without a smog requirement. I also use AAA and avoid the DMV pay by phone for registration. Some bad things happened to me the last time I used their system.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #7
When I was out of state this year, the CA DMV sent me a registration renewal that required a smog test. As I was going to be out of state until months after the renewal was due, I filled out a Application for Temporary Smog Exemption for a Vehicle Located Out-of-State (REG 5103) and sent in the payment and a copy of the application together.

The DMV sat on my check until  near the due date and also sent the renewal tags and registration card to the address of record without the smog test. A day or two after I returned, I went to a smog test station for the delayed smog test. There were no issues in obtaining the test.

Hope this helps,

David
RV: 2002 MB
Toad: 2014 CR-V

Reply #8
California appears to have the same procedure as Nevada - except a different form. 

Easy

Cheers!

Tony R.  aka codefour
Tony R
2010 LD RB - Sold to another happy LD Family

Reply #9
I use New Mexico for registration.
I can get a two year renewal and do so.
There is no inspection or smog in the part of the state where I register.
When the time comes, I do it online, the tags get sent to my mail box and then I have all my mail forwarded to me wherever I am at the time.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #10
"I also use AAA and avoid the DMV pay by phone for registration."
---
The 2022 registration for my 2003 required the biennial smog test; with a $15 coupon, the test was only $110!  ::)

To register the vehicle in CA, one can go to a DMV office (a life-altering experience to be avoided), mail the form with a check to DMV (not recommended unless the registration due date is at least a month from the date of mailing), take the form and payment to a AAA office (AAA membership required, as Steve said), or pay online. The last option is the most convenient, but one pays a 2.1% of the registration amount in a "processing fee" to the payment provider for this convenience.  Pick your poison.  ;)

As always, YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
There are also private registration services available. I used one here in Tehachapi after bringing Nocona home from Florida. DMV wasn’t a good option and AAA had limited services at the time due to COVID. It was “easy peasy.”
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #12
"There are also private registration services available."
---
True; there are vehicle registration choices in CA. However, the fees from private services are much higher than the 2.1% grab from the fee processor through DMV. As said, YMMV.  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #13
I pay for my California tags by e-check (no charge) through the DMV website. The 2.1% charge is for payment made by credit card.

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #14
There are also private registration services available. I used one here in Tehachapi after bringing Nocona home from Florida. DMV wasn’t a good option and AAA had limited services at the time due to COVID. It was “easy peasy.”
I've noticed that many of the local smog shops also offer for-fee DMV services, including the shop where I get my vehicles smogged.

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King