Skip to main content
Topic: Visa and Apple Pay vulnerabilities (Read 111 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Visa and Apple Pay vulnerabilities
Reply #1
This is not an exploit most people will have to worry about.  It happens when your phone is set up with a mass transit pass (subway, trains, etc...).

If you haven't set up 'express transit mode', or don't even know that is an option, you don't have anything to worry about.

If you have set up 'express transit mode', I'm still not sure I would worry about it (watch the video in the article below to see how involved the process is).

I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that traditional card skimmers (for plastic credit cards) are a higher risk.

----------
The researchers discovered the vulnerability occurs when Visa cards are set up in 'Express Transit mode' in an iPhone's wallet. Transit mode is a feature on many smartphones that enables commuters to make a swift contactless mobile payment at, for example, an underground station turnstile, without fingerprint authentication.
------------

Visa and Apple Pay vulnerabilities leaves iPhone users open to payment fraud

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #2
Several months ago the topic of the Safe Way to Purchase Gas? was discussed here and Apple Pay was mentioned by some. Yesterday it was reported that Visa and Apple Pay vulnerabilities leaves iPhone users open to payment fraud.

Charles, thank you for bringing this to attention.  Just yesterday I added my Visa card to Apple Pay and because of this article, will be switching back to Master Card.  Here’s a couple of relevant pieces I got from the article…

The weakness lies in the Apple Pay and Visa systems working together and does not affect other combinations, such as Mastercard in iPhones, or Visa on Samsung Pay.

As I said, I’m switching back to Master Card for Apple Pay.  This may be overkill but who knows what other vulnerabilities may pop up and Apple/Visa are too busy pointing fingers at the moment to fix things.

The researchers discovered the vulnerability occurs when Visa cards are set up in 'Express Transit mode' in an iPhone's wallet.

You can turn off Express Transit mode by going to “Settings / Wallet & Apple Pay / Express Transit Card” and selecting none.

Note: If you want to completely remove your credit cards from Apple Pay then login to iCloud.com and go to “Account Settings”.  Then select your Apple device and click “remove all” under the Apple Pay section.  Last, on your Apple device, go to Settings and at the very top click “Apple ID, iCloud, Media & Purchase”.  Now scroll to the bottom and Sign Out.  When completed, sign back in and all of the credit cards will be completely removed from Apple Pay.

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #3
I appreciate this heads up.

Just confirmed that my Express Transit mode is off, so even though I have my Visa setup for ApplePay, I’m fine.
Dave

2017 TK