Skip to main content
Topic: Valve stems for rear outer tires (Read 160 times) previous topic - next topic
Valve stems for rear outer tires
Does anyone know a valve stem adapter for the rear outer tire so I can access it to check and adjust the tire pressure? Something on Amazon? Thanks.
2006 RB

Re: Valve stems for rear outer tires
Reply #1

Hi Cebuano;  Two ways to go: replace the entire stem with a bent pipe, or just add a bent extender to the stem you already have.    I originally replaced the stems on the wheels that Ford supplied with solid metal 'clamp in' stems.  The ones from Ford were a combination of rubber and brass.
    After the metal clamp in stems were in place I extended them with flexible rubber hoses. Others on this forum have had problems with these extensions. You can of course use extensions with no flex in them. I have a set of these and they work well.  Amazon.com: CKAuto 6 Pack 45 Degree 90 Degree 135 Degree Metal Valve Stem...
    Or you can replace the entire stem which requires the disassembly of the rim/tire to insert.  Amazon.com: Accu-Pressure DL1FC Chrome Dually Valve Kit Fits 2007-Present...
   This topic is covered extensively, recently in the forum.  New Tires And Extended Valves Question      RonB

edit: your 2006 will need the older version of one piece bent stems.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
Hi RonB,

Do you think there would be a problem with using those short solid metal valve stem extenders you linked to on my 2021 MB?  Ford put the tire pressure sensors inside the tire and they’re attached to the valve stem.  Adding air or measuring pressure with a tire pressure gauge on the rear tires is nearly impossible and replacing the valve stems is not an option.  The stem on the rear tires looks like it’s metal but there’s probably some plastic inside the tire where the sensor is.  My concern is that the tire rotation at highway speeds could cause stress on the existing valve stem.

- John

Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #3

I may have just answered my own question.  Further down in the description of the short metal valve extenders it states:

Warning
Please remove the tire valve stem extension from the valve stem before driving. The stem extenders are not designed to be used on running wheels; incorrect usage could cause high-speed jitter and chronic air leaks in your wheels.

I suppose they could still be used to add or measure air pressure with a tire pressure gauge and then removed before driving.  Just a little inconvenient.  Some people commented that they run with them attached others say not to do it.  What about using one of the Borg rubber stabilizers to support the valve extension?  Any thoughts?

- John

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #4
I went the whole route with the Borg extensions and the rubber stabilizers. I think they all came in the kit. Haven't had any problems with them and they sure make checking tire pressure easy.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #5
Hi John R;  I think it would be fine to run those extenders all the time. That bit about removing them while driving is BS, just to avoid lawyers. I bought some, and then changed things around to just use straight 1" extenders with my TST TPMS flow through senders (front tires). The curved ones are built just as well as the WheelMaster solid extenders that I've used the last 20 years.  I already had the cut out section on my KII wheel simulators.  Some people have had to cut their simulators to accommodate the flow through senders.
    For you with the Ford built in TPMS stems, it shouldn't be a problem. (just my judgement call)  YMMV.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #6
Thanks RonB… I think I’ll order them and give it a try  :)

- John