Skip to main content
Topic: Wood Rot Repair And Restoration Fun! (Read 3087 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: Wood Rot Repair And Restoration Fun!
Reply #50
Kenny,
The trim on that back window looks like it has shrunk and needs replacing or reseating in the upper driver side corner.  I don't know if that would let water in, but you should check it out.
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #51
Kenny,
The trim on that back window looks like it has shrunk and needs replacing or reseating in the upper driver side corner.  I don't know if that would let water in, but you should check it out.

You are correct, it has.  Luckily, over some major rainstorms, I've been monitoring any water intrusion for up to a couple days after and no moisture detected (with exception to the front window where just a bit came through where the glazing should be).  I will be addressing all that in the near future.
1987 22' Rear Lounge

Reply #52
Hi Larry and Kenny; Maybe I'm still stuck in the 70's, but the orange motif was great, and I think at least not as boring as the grey and white that I've seen lately.  I'm not ready for the mauve/ avocado green/yellow (Harvest Gold)  renaissance just yet though. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #53
Hi Larry and Kenny; Maybe I'm still stuck in the 70's, but the orange motif was great, and I think at least not as boring as the grey and white that I've seen lately.  I'm not ready for the mauve/ avocado green/yellow (Harvest Gold)  renaissance just yet though. RonB

Thanks!  Being this was a product of 3 different personalities trying to work together, I knew as we entered this stage of the project it might raise a few eyebrows, maybe spark a thumbs up, and/or churn a stomach or two.  ;D  But is was the first "fun" part of the project when my wife and daughter got to really participate.  And because we are working with an old motorhome with little resale value and demand, we were all onboard to make it our own, for sure. 

The entire project itself, however, feels like a success.  We went from disappointment from getting burned by the sellers, to being a bit overwhelmed with a project we had no idea if we could complete or not, to feeling a sense of euphoria and pride that we now have a fully functioning motorhome that we got to have so much fun personalizing as a family.   Would we do it again?  Probably not.  But we now know we could if we wanted to.  8)
1987 22' Rear Lounge

Reply #54
Thank you Kenny for sharing your renovation journey.   It’s been not only very interesting but educational.   For example, there’s a LD owner on a LD Facebook site that used your videos to do a similar cab over repair.  I’m looking forward to your next video with the finishing touches. 

Reply #55
Ahh, the good ol’ retro days!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #56
Kenny, thanks for your updates and your un-daunted approach to a major renovation. I  am at a similar spot(although fortunately not as severe) How are the three front-to-rear planks attached? Im replacing at least 2 of them but I cant see how they are attached. I can gently pry them a little, and have cut the staples that attach them side-to-side, but I dont want to create a new problem by prying on aluminum. I've circled the boards in attached photo
                                                                 This is of course a screen capture from one of Ken's videos

I try not to break the rules but merely test their elasticity.  '88 22RL converted to Rear Dinette

Reply #57
Hi Larry and Kenny; Maybe I'm still stuck in the 70's, but the orange motif was great, and I think at least not as boring as the grey and white that I've seen lately.

We loved our burnt orange 1983 LD, here are two photos from 20 years ago, before the drought (notice the green grass, now only a memory).

Orange interior too.

We were lucky and didn't have any rot issues with the 1983 LD, we sealed it with Eternabond tape and a lot of 3M 5200 FC.
The family we sold it to drove it for several years without problems before it disappeared. We never saw it again.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #58
"...here are two photos from 20 years ago, before the drought (notice the green grass, now only a memory)."

Beautiful driveway Larry! How many of us Lazy Dazers have seen our rigs parked on your real-estate?   ::)   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #59
I am one of them! I'm so glad I went to Larry's place before he redid my LD roof with Eternabond that I had shipped to him in advance.  I had no idea that he would soon quit doing roofs, but he also sealed my back window (thank heaven), and helped me with the magnetic catch on my screen door. This talented guy could actually fabricate parts when necessary! He also climbed on the rig at a Morro Bay later to check my roof after having branches drag over it in the campground.

I love Larry! So do most of us!  Thank you thank you thank you!
Kristin
1997 MB

Reply #60
Kenny, thanks for your updates and your un-daunted approach to a major renovation. I  am at a similar spot(although fortunately not as severe) How are the three front-to-rear planks attached? Im replacing at least 2 of them but I cant see how they are attached. I can gently pry them a little, and have cut the staples that attach them side-to-side, but I dont want to create a new problem by prying on aluminum. I've circled the boards in attached photo
                                                                 This is of course a screen capture from one of Ken's videos

Sorry for the late reply.  It's been such a while now since that stage for me, however, I don't remember any real issues removing them.  The front ends of those planks were very rotted and basically crumbled. If I remember correctly, we used a multi-tool to cut any attachments.  And I don't recall they were attached to the aluminum. 
1987 22' Rear Lounge

Reply #61
Kenny, thanks for your reply. I found that the outboard planks are attached by the long screws that hold on the corner/end  caps. Fortunately the piece I was prying on was crumbling as well so no harm to the aluminum or fiberglass was committed😎
For some reason, during manufacture the planks were attached on top of carpet (!) but I was able to cut out the nasty old carpet without destroying anything. Hope you’re enjoying the fruits of your labors
I try not to break the rules but merely test their elasticity.  '88 22RL converted to Rear Dinette

Reply #62
Kenny, thanks for your reply. I found that the outboard planks are attached by the long screws that hold on the corner/end  caps. Fortunately the piece I was prying on was crumbling as well so no harm to the aluminum or fiberglass was committed😎
For some reason, during manufacture the planks were attached on top of carpet (!) but I was able to cut out the nasty old carpet without destroying anything. Hope you’re enjoying the fruits of your labors

Any pictures?   Please 🙏.