Skip to main content
Topic: Wood Rot Repair And Restoration Fun! (Read 3086 times) previous topic - next topic
Wood Rot Repair And Restoration Fun!
Hi everyone,

I started a topic a couple days ago about removing the folding table in my 1987 22' and started posting some videos regarding my wood rot repair and weekend warrior style restoration.  I figured a new topic would be more appropriate and more easily searchable for those interested in this.  I'll post multiple videos in here and when I'm done (if I'm done, lol) I will merge all the video into one.  Please note: I'm a complete rookie at this, however, I know many LD fans might love to get an inside look at the hidden parts of these rigs.  So I really hope some of you will find parts of this interesting and hopefully helpful in one of your projects.

Here are the first 3 videos.  Again, stay tuned to this tread as I will post more updates here.

1.    Lazy Daze Video 1

2.     Lazy Daze Video 2

3.     Lazy Daze Video 3
1987 22' Rear Lounge

Re: Wood Rot Repair And Restoration Fun!
Reply #1
love that you're sharing the videos, thank you!! good luck with all of this. it seemed a lot worse at first but bones don't look too shabby.

Make sure to take out the drawers and look in there to check for any water damage too. other usual spots are under the fridge around the water heater, and the water pump.
1995 23.5 Rear Lounge

Reply #2
love that you're sharing the videos, thank you!! good luck with all of this. it seemed a lot worse at first but bones don't look too shabby.

Make sure to take out the drawers and look in there to check for any water damage too. other usual spots are under the fridge around the water heater, and the water pump.

Absolutely.  I've been pressing on everywhere accessible for sure.  More videos to come!
1987 22' Rear Lounge

Reply #3
Here is another progress video.  This was actually taken a while ago.  We have made even further progress but I will wait until we get even further along before posting another one.

Lazy Daze Video 4

One thing to note as people see my videos.  This won't be a project where I'm going to make this as good as new.  The motorhome is a 1987.  To make it "good as new" would be an even more atrocious investment than buying a motorhome itself.  And that kind of money would be better spent on buying a much newer RV.  Or if I was retired and had the time to do it ALL myself. But I'm not, and am working alongside my handyman. 

There will be areas where the damaged materials will be treated instead of replaced. And some area that I won't address at all.  I have to really stay focused on my ultimate intentions as it's all too easy to start tearing in farther than I can realistically afford. BUT, with that said, if I am aware of something that compromises the integrity of the motorhome too much, it will be addressed.  My goal is to make sure that when I'm finished, it will be sealed, sound and a safe motorhome.  And probably, while far from perfect, more solid than most motorhomes of this vintage.  Because one thing nearly all of us can agree on, a 35 year old RV is going to have some sort of water damage or decay whether the owner is aware of it or not.

More updates soon!

1987 22' Rear Lounge

Reply #4
Kenny, your enthusiasm and high energy for your project appears to remain high!  And that's impressive to me.  Once again, thank you for your video updates and I look forward to more.

Reply #5
"This won't be a project where I'm going to make this as good as new."

That's sensible. I like your level-headed approach.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
This should be required watching fo anyone who has found an older rig in "great shape' at a good price.
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #7
Kenny,

Very interesting thread and I applaud your pragmatic approach. 👏

FYI, The front window over the cab on the older Lazy Daze is a known problem. Somewhere around 1990 the factory stopped installing that window and switched to a fiberglass cab over without a window. I would check around the window closely for any leaks.

I have an 89 which had that window leak, resulting in a previous owner upgrading it to the new fiberglass front. I probably have the receipt somewhere…but even in 20 years old money that was a very expensive repair!

Best of luck with your project!

Harvey, the RV
1989 22' Front Lounge

Reply #8
Kenny,

Very interesting thread and I applaud your pragmatic approach. 👏

FYI, The front window over the cab on the older Lazy Daze is a known problem. Somewhere around 1990 the factory stopped installing that window and switched to a fiberglass cab over without a window. I would check around the window closely for any leaks.

I have an 89 which had that window leak, resulting in a previous owner upgrading it to the new fiberglass front. I probably have the receipt somewhere…but even in 20 years old money that was a very expensive repair!

Best of luck with your project!

I feel you are 100% right regarding the front cab windows.  For this reason we will be removing the interior paneling for investigation. There is also visible damage near those windows and I also noticed some sponginess on the upper cab on the left side where we just replaced some wood under the exterior cap.  I'm expecting the cabover to have the most extensive damage. It really is a horrible design and the fiberglass front with no windows upgrade seems like a very good idea; one I cannot afford but certainly would be the best option.
1987 22' Rear Lounge

Reply #10
Okay, here is where we ended it today.  :)

Lazy Daze Video 5

You are getting right into it, making significant progress in a short time. It is going to be one of the most disassembled rigs seen on the forum. Thanks for the videos.
How hard was it to remove the top caps? I have removed several caps, on later models, and the caps usually get badly damaged, I'm wondering what adhesives were used and how well they held up over 35 years.

As mentioned, the front windows all leak unless resealed regularly. Many restorers have a piece of sheet aluminum cut to cover the window's exterior opening, abandoning the window.
On our 1983 LD, I removed and resealed the window. Inside, the window was blacked out with aluminum foil and the front interior wall was covered with firm styrofoam, covered with a glued-on fabric, an idea I got from Andy. The side windows were blacked out too, liking to sleep in, we wanted a dark area.

The molding around the front cap where the side walls meet the front leaks, I suggested removing and cleaning the molding and area well before reinstalling using a polyurethane sealant and new SS screws. There is a good reason why LD switched to the one-piece front cap, it eliminated many of the potential leaks.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #12
Kenny … you’re an inspiration for all DIYers!   I can’t believe how fast you’re going on this very difficult rehabilitation project.  Smoking’ 👍

Tearing things out goes quickly, putting it back together correctly consumes a lot more time.

Larry
Larry

Reply #13
Hi Larry,

Had there not been sealant on top of the screws, it would have been fairly easy.  But someone had painted on (probably Dicor) sealant.  So on the top rail, I had to pick away at each screw before I could either use a phillips or socket (depending on where I was on the rail).  Once those were removed, it was very easy to lift the caps. It almost appears the sealant they used underneath was a butyl tape, which appeared to work as there was no damage until you got close to the end caps.  I plan on doing the same:  Laying down a seal of butyl tape in which the stainless steel screws can penetrate to lessen any potential leaks through screw holes.  Then I will apply a thin bead of 3M 5200 on the seams without over doing it.  I plan on doing the same for the windows except the the 5200 will only be on top of window and partially down the upper curve. This should make it much more possible to remove and reseal the window at later dates.  The front window is a major concern to me.  I'm really anxious to start digging into the cabover.  I'm worried at what I may uncover but it needs to be done. I'll be curious to see where most of the water damage stemmed from because I can tell water has leaked from the top caps into it.   My pleasure on the videos.  Whether or not it will be done right in the end, I feel many people are as curious as myself to see what lies under the skins of these. And what can happen to those who ignore regular maintenance.
1987 22' Rear Lounge

Reply #14
Tearing things out goes quickly, putting it back together correctly consumes a lot more time.

Larry

Thanks Ed and Margee.  Larry, somehow Lazy Daze made some of the tearing things out a rather tedious process, too!  lol  But totally agree. Once the rig is completely sealed up and secure, my wife and I plan on doing the finishing work (paint, flooring, lighting, etc) over the winter season with no rush.
1987 22' Rear Lounge

Reply #15
Insulation up in living area. I feel styrofoam is a better alternative than the old fiberglass batting.  That seemed like a moisture trap.  Honestly, could you imagine how much more leak abuse these could handle if ventilation was more prevalent throughout the walls?  It would be stellar to have multiple interior access panels that could be removed during outdoor storage to inspect for water intrusion and allow for quicker drying.  Anywho, I also took a couple more windows out and was pleasantly surprised. 

Lazy Daze Video 6
1987 22' Rear Lounge

Reply #16
"I feel styrofoam is a better alternative than the old fiberglass batting."
---
LD started using styrofoam in the models produced in spring, 2008. This material does insulate more efficiently than the wads of fiberglass, which tend to settle and shift. I don't know about comparative materials costs, but cutting and fitting the styrofoam into the framing requires more labor and time than stuffing handfuls of loose fiberglass (not batts, which would also have to be cut and fitted) into the framing.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #17
These are interesting video's, thanks. But please do us all a favor and ditch that step ladder.....

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #19
"I feel styrofoam is a better alternative than the old fiberglass batting."
---
LD started using styrofoam in the models produced in spring, 2008. This material does insulate more efficiently than the wads of fiberglass, which tend to settle and shift. I don't know about comparative materials costs, but cutting and fitting the styrofoam into the framing requires more labor and time than stuffing handfuls of loose fiberglass (not batts, which would also have to be cut and fitted) into the framing.

When reinsulating the walls, styrofoam can be installed as fast as fiberglass by laying the 4X8 sheets of foam on a big table and using a long straightedge and utility knife to cut. Several pieces can be cut at once with an accurate cut sheet.
It's a great upgrade over fiberglass, it's waterproof, doesn't make you itch and the cost isn't bad.

Larry
Larry

Reply #20
I picked up some closed cell spray foam to assist with some of the air gaps.  I found the R value and moisture absorption rating on the EPS is not as high as I would like compared to the XPS.  But the drying potential for ESP is better.  I am looking forward to see which route we both take in the rebuild.
Not to highjack
An Error Has Occurred
1997 TK

Reply #21
Living area paneling is up. Pulled a couple of the cabover windows and the pad.  I am anxious to dig in, however, one of the most important things to remember is try it get as much paneling out in one piece to help stencil the new. I CAN NOT wait until I can put all the windows in and exterior caps back on and sealed. Then my family can spend the winter doing the interior how we want it.  We have been super blessed with dry weather (although we average 300 sunny days a year, anyhow).

Lazy Daze Video 7

1987 22' Rear Lounge

Reply #22
Living area paneling is up. Pulled a couple of the cabover windows and the pad.  I am anxious to dig in, however, one of the most important things to remember is try it get as much paneling out in one piece to help stencil the new. I CAN NOT wait until I can put all the windows in and exterior caps back on and sealed. Then my family can spend the winter doing the interior how we want it.

Geez Kenny, I'm overwhelmed and tried just from watching your videos!   Margee & I are looking forward to your next videos.

Reply #23
Geez Kenny, I'm overwhelmed and tried just from watching your videos!   Margee & I are looking forward to your next videos.

It sure is a lot of work and time involved in this but since I'm working along side my handyman, it's definitely not as daunting as I thought it would be.  In the end, I'll feel much more confident to handle all the exterior maintenance on my own.  And it is fascinating to see what lies beneath the skin of these. While I still would have rather purchased a more solid specimen, I think what I am learning is valuable.  Also a great lesson on how important frequently looking over the rig and sealing it is.  Had the exterior been maintained frequently, the bones would probably be nearly new, still!
1987 22' Rear Lounge

Reply #24
More progress. But to minimize driving you nuts with a ton of little videos, I merged a few into one here. And we've gotten deep into the cabover.

Lazy Daze Video 8
1987 22' Rear Lounge