Skip to main content
Topic: OBDII Scanner (Read 433 times) previous topic - next topic
OBDII Scanner
This is tomorrow’s project.  After considering both the Ultragauge and Scangauge II, and based on a forum member’s recommendation, I purchased the OBDLink MX+.  It’s a Bluetooth device which has good reviews and I like that it can be easily updated through the free app.   Here is a nice overview of it’s capabilities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQCMvHJLnZY&t=0s

I’ll report back later on how it goes.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: OBDII Scanner
Reply #1
This is tomorrow’s project.  After considering both the Ultragauge and Scangauge II, and based on a forum member’s recommendation, I purchased the OBDLink MX+.  It’s a Bluetooth device which has good reviews and I like that it can be easily updated through the free app.   Here is a nice overview of it’s capabilities:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQCMvHJLnZY&t=0s

Your 2017's dash gauges show most of the useful information you normally need in everyday driving.
The exception is the lack of transmission temperature, something I would set the phone app to monitor. The digital dash may at some point alarm with a high transmission temperature warning but it's always higher than what you ideally want to subject the transmission to.
Monitoring the air Intake temperature is nice too, in most E450s, it shows the ambient temperature when moving over 45-MPH.

Unless you are a car person, this device will show more diagnostic information than you can deal with or know what it means.
Being able to read engine codes and clear them is useful for the few times the V10s have problems. Most codes seen are in the range of P0300-P0310, indicating a misfire, very commonly caused by a failed ignition coil. The last two numbers of P0300 code are the cylinder with the misfire.
Clearing codes will usually just turn Check Engine the light off, the code usually comes right back, indicating a real problem. If the "Check Engine" light is flashing on and off, this indicates a serious problem that can cause immediate damage if the engine continues running.

Have fun with the information overload.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
So got it up and running. Pretty easy as the app walks you right through. Now I’m trying to figure out how to add the transmission temp to the dashboard.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
Making progress! I now have these displays configured.  Any other recommendations?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
I swapped MPH for Altitude since our Garmin displays MPH. Yup, data overload.

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #5
I swapped MPH for Altitude since our Garmin displays MPH. Yup, data overload.

Good idea, I didn't realize it had an altitude display! Our Garmin does do elevation also but I think it's in a sub-menu so not very handy.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
I like the flexibility of doing OBDII with a phone app. Easier to configure, easier too read (well in most cases) than a dedicated LCD display. What I don't like: I have other uses for my phone when driving. And it's a lot harder to find a place to mount it than it is to find a place for a ScanGauge or UltraGauge.

You can't have it all, I guess. Well, until somebody figures out how to hack my car's built-in 7" touchscreen to display OBDII data in one corner. :-)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Making progress! I now have these displays configured.  Any other recommendations?

I would put all the important or useful information on one page, to eliminate having to change screens while driving.
Engine temp, Transmission temp, Battery voltage, and Intake air temp are all useful while driving. Mileage readings can help find the most economical cruising speeds, keep in mind the information can sometimes be depressing.
Your dash has a speedometer and a tachometer, monitoring the MAP and one O2 sensor isn't very useful except for diagnostic use.

Larry
Larry

Reply #8
Been playing around with the display and here is the latest configuration.  I’m really starting to like this program.  It’s nice that you can make changes to your dashboard without being connected to the scanner itself.

So the next thing I need to figure out is what to set the alarms at. Any suggestions?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
I would set high-temp alarms for the engine and transmission, both at 240 degrees. Both the engine and transmission can safely handle these temps and even higher but you should never see then if the cooling system is working correctly.

The dash will provide additional warnings for engine high temp and the computer will reduce power if the engine gets too hot, as part of the engine's 'fail safe' system.  It's near impossible to overheat and damage a V10, with the exception of losing oil pressure.

I'm not sure if the transmission has a dash alarm, I didn't see it in the 2017 E450 owner manual. There should be a digital message on the dash or a "high trans temp" light.
Does the OBDII device show oil pressure? If so, set a low oil pressure alarm.
The newer vehicles have more built-in alarms than older cars, the computer receives a wide range of information from the multitude of sensors and acts to protect the drivetrain.

Larry
Larry

Reply #10
I would set high-temp alarms for the engine and transmission, both at 240 degrees. Both the engine and transmission can safely handle these temps and even higher but you should never see then if the cooling system is working correctly.

The dash will provide additional warnings for engine high temp and the computer will reduce power if the engine gets too hot, as part of the engine's 'fail safe' system.  It's near impossible to overheat and damage a V10, with the exception of losing oil pressure.

I'm not sure if the transmission has a dash alarm, I didn't see it in the 2017 E450 owner manual. There should be a digital message on the dash or a "high trans temp" light.
Does the OBDII device show oil pressure? If so, set a low oil pressure alarm.
The newer vehicles have more built-in alarms than older cars, the computer receives a wide range of information from the multitude of sensors and acts to protect the drivetrain.

Thanks, Larry.  Looking at the dash display when turning the ignition on, and in the owner’s manual, I see no mention of a tranny dash alarm so glad the OBD device can scan the temp.  I’ll set the alarms to 240 degrees as suggested.

Yes, I did find an oil pressure display. I think that would be a good one to add since the dash display doesn’t read actual numbers.  What should I set the low pressure alarm to?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #11
Unfortunately, Ford doesn't have an oil pressure analog sensor, just a low oil pressure switch that drives the needle gage to the center position when good, and to the "L" side when low.  The engine computer has no idea what the oil pressure is.
2016 Mid Bath

Reply #12
Unfortunately, Ford doesn't have an oil pressure analog sensor, just a low oil pressure switch that drives the needle gage to the center position when good, and to the "L" side when low.  The engine computer has no idea what the oil pressure is.

That’s a bummer! Just confirmed that on the OBD scanner as it’s not receiving any input.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #13
I read this on an RV.Net forum post from 2008 "I installed a real oil pressure gauge on my V10 when I found out the one Ford provided was operated by a switch. The Ford Factory Representative I heard from told a room full at a FMCA rally the setting on the switch was 6 psi." I've seen other posts saying the switch is set at 10 psi. Not much of a warning; I'd say say pressure that low would be a potential disaster.

Anyone here installed a real oil pressure gauge on a V10?

Charles

Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #14
I read this on an RV.Net forum post from 2008 "I installed a real oil pressure gauge on my V10 when I found out the one Ford provided was operated by a switch. The Ford Factory Representative I heard from told a room full at an FMCA rally the setting on the switch was 6 psi." I've seen other posts saying the switch is set at 10 psi. Not much of a warning; I'd say pressure that low would be a potential disaster.

I have never seen an oil pressure readout from the OBDII port. I wonder about the dash oil pressure gauge, it moves upward with increased engine speed and downward at an idle, as one would normally expect to see from an analog gauge.
We are also dealing with E450s built over a 25 year period, things change through the years. Some are good, others not so, for example, the grease fittings on older rigs vs. non-lubricating ball joints on newer rigs.
All in all, the E450 is well-built chassis, as it should be considering how many years Ford has had to debug it.

As a rule of thumb, engines need around ten pounds of oil pressure for every 1000-RPM of engine speed.

Larry
Larry

Reply #15
I wonder about the dash oil pressure gauge, it moves upward with increased engine speed and downward at an idle, as one would normally expect to see from an analog gauge.

I don't recall ever seeing our oil pressure gauge move as you described. Ours moves from zero to mid-gauge at startup and back to zero when shutoff. That's it. RockAuto says we have different oil pressure sending units so that is probably why the different display actions.

MOTORCRAFT SW5192 E-450   2000-2004
MOTORCRAFT SW8368 E-450   2006-2019

I will look for the sending unit the next time I am under the LD to see if or how a "real" sending unit could be installed.

Charles

Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #16
I had emailed OBD tech support to ask about setting up alarms on their product since I couldn't find anything in the app.  Here is their response:

Unfortunately, this is not a feature in the OBDLink app at this time (though I have added this as a feature request). While you can edit the gauge ranges to help inform you of when you are getting close to approaching the value, you can not yet set alarms in the OBDLink app at this time.

At this time, you may either need to look into a third-party app or visit a forum to see what users may recommend in terms of apps.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #17
Unfortunately, this is not a feature in the OBDLink app at this time (though I have added this as a feature request). While you can edit the gauge ranges to help inform you of when you are getting close to approaching the value, you can not yet set alarms in the OBDLink app at this time.
At this time, you may either need to look into a third-party app or visit a forum to see what users may recommend in terms of apps.

Alarms are a nice feature of an Ultragauge.
Your E450 will inform you of overheating in a very dramatic way, lights and buzzers, along with a significant reduction in power

Larry
Larry

Reply #18
I use that same adapter with a different app that will give me alarms.  I also monitor the Misfires as it takes many misfires before it will trigger the code and Check Engine light.  I have replaced the bad coil pack twice before the check engine light came on.  You can only monitor cylinders 1-8 and total misfires so if it is 9 or 10 your guessing.  I will have to look for the PID on engine pressure as I don't think I have that on my display currently.
1997 TK

Reply #19
Craig, what app are you using?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #20
Torque Pro,  works on my Jeeps as well with different profiles.  Never had a problem unlike Larry.
1997 TK

Reply #21

Torque Pro,  works on my Jeeps as well with different profiles.

Thanks.  Can't seem to find it in the Apple app store.  Are you using android or ios?

Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #22
Android,  but you could always pick up a cheap old phone or tablet and mount it for a permanent readout.
1997 TK