Skip to main content
Topic: Alternate parts fo Fantastic Fan (Read 118 times) previous topic - next topic
Alternate parts fo Fantastic Fan

Thought I'd split off topics here:  Amazon does have repair parts, but also completely new fans: Amazon.com: SMACO 14” RV Roof Vent Fan RV Exhaust Fan with Rain Sensor 12V...    This Smaco has a magnetically attached screen (shades of a previous thread), rain sensor with closing lid, a wireless remote, and of note-- magnetic commutator for the motor instead of traditional brushes. It had two support struts for the lid. Things I don't like:  opaque fan blades, white, and the motor support is also white.  It wasn't clear if the four speeds were electronic PWM or if the vent lid was smoke colored or opaque also. Ball bearing motor?
    The rain sensor is on the outside skirt, so if it accumulates too much dirt, my daily marine layer might close it daily. (wish I lived closer to the ocean than 8 miles).  Maybe that 'feature' can be disabled.  (Well of course the sensor can be painted over.)  On low power it denotes 3 Watts, so about 1/4 Amp draw. I often run my FFan all night on low, so that is low power.    Another thing, this fan evidently still circulates outside air even when the lid is closed.  That could be good or not.   RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Re: Alternate parts fo Fantastic Fan
Reply #1
i switched one of our Fantastics to the remote kit, it comes with the newer pancake motor and a motorized lift.
The rain sensor does get dirty and, in humid weather, will activate on it’s own, lowering the lid. The sensor can be cleaned or disconnected. Since we have covers on our vents, the sensor is not necessary and is disconnected .

The newer pancake motor makes noise when running in one direction, pulling air out, I have received two replacement motors from Fantasic and they all make brush noises, the older soup can motors are much quieter but have not been available for several years. Fantastic, while now owned by Camco, still provides replacement parts for free, or did so a year ago.

The Fantastic remote gets 'confused’ a times and does not operate correctly, requiring a lot of fiddling around with it to get it back in sync. The new control is PWM and has about 15 speeds.
I can’t imagine a fan running, with the lid closed, having any positive effect.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Alternate parts fo Fantastic Fan
Reply #2
Our MaxxAir fan can run with the lid closed, they claim that it can move warm air downward in cold weather.  We tried it this past winter in 20 degree outside temps - it does not work!  You are better off covering it with an insulated cover or as we do leaving it slightly open to get the moisture out.

Karen~Liam
         98 ~ MB
           NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags