Skip to main content
Topic: Info needed on Lake Newton (Read 216 times) previous topic - next topic
Info needed on Lake Newton
I will be making several additions to the roof of my new LD and I am now in the final planning stage.  I’ve been told about water pooling on the flat aluminum roof (aka Lake Newton) around the AC.  My question is how far does the Lake Newton shoreline extend from the AC?  The reason for my question has to do with running wires (i.e. solar, coax, etc.) along the roof and not have them sitting in water for an extended period of time.  I can always run flexible watertight conduit along the roof if it becomes necessary and I may very well have to in some places.  I thought that one or more of the seasoned LD owners may have some experience on how big the lake can get.  Also… I know, roll the windows up first and stand clear before entering the cab unless you want a surprise shower.   ;D

Thank you all in advance, this forum is really a great resource and I truly appreciate the knowledge and friendliness of it’s members.

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Re: Info needed on Lake Newton
Reply #1
Lake Newton's water (on my 2003) pools mostly on the front corner of the driver's side; the water does collect a little behind the front seam along the front, but I haven't noticed much water pooling around the AC.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Due to the flat roof, water will pool according to gravity. In our driveway, e.g., it pools near the cabover, as we are slightly down at the front. Since the air conditioner is more centrally located, the only reason for water to pool there is if the roof has sagged a bit - which can happen over time.

In general, it is good when adding things to the roof to allow drainage channels fore and aft to prevent creating a pool.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
"...water will pool according to gravity."

Well, duh! Glad to see someone is using reason here, tnx Steve/

To prevent ANY pooling you'd have to incline your LD in one orientation or another, not necessarily a good thing. Pooling of any sort will most probably be caused by rain (or snowmelt) and overflow from Lake Newton can be expected as a result. Better to be prepared, as the OP said, with cab windows closed. On those rare occasions when I'm aware there may be a flood I try to 'dump' the excess by raising or lowering either end with my levelers. YMMV.   :o   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
"Due to the flat roof, water will pool according to gravity."
---
At dead level, water fills the slightly concave area of roughly 18" at the front corner of the roof on my TK and creates a mini-swamp. Even if the rig's nose is down in the front, water still pools in that area. I suspect that the pooling is due more to the water seeking its lowest level in the slight concavity rather than to gravitational force.

However, YMMV!  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
John,  just make sure the wire used is rated for outside exposure and you can attach it with stick down tie strap anchors. Don’t be concerned about the pooling water. Attached is a photo of my installation of the cell phone booster antenna/cable on the roof of our rear bath. Had the same setup on our 2010 rear bath for ten years without any problems with the wiring.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #6
"Due to the flat roof, water will pool according to gravity."
---
 I suspect that the pooling is due more to the water seeking its lowest level in the slight concavity rather than to gravitational force.

Now Joan, what is the force in Nature that is causing this effect?...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #7
"...water will pool according to gravity."

Well, duh! Glad to see someone is using reason here, tnx Steve/

Lazy Bones… yes I’m aware of gravity, I was assuming being at level. 😁

Mike… it’s good to know that your outside rated coax has lasted 10+ years.  That makes me feel a bit better about doing some coax runs without encapsulating it in flex conduit.

Thanks to everyone else.  It appears that Lake Newton can appear anywhere and that I need to account for that.

Thanks,
John

Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #8
OK, gravity= path of least resistance=Lake Newton. 🥴
2003 TK has a new home