Skip to main content
Topic: The king bed in the 27Midbath is it standard king (Read 296 times) previous topic - next topic
The king bed in the 27Midbath is it standard king
as in I can just buy sheets or do I need to make them.  Not sure of all measurements because I do not have one yet!
Donna

Re: The king bed in the 27Midbath is it standard king
Reply #1
If I remember right the two couches are slightly different length and the total size is larger than a standard king.  Also the bed is made from several seat and back cushions.  I'd think keeping regular sheets in place could be a challenge.  When we had our MB we rarely left the bed made up during the day, so it was usually converted every morning and night.  We always used an RV sleep sack much like the SuperBags currently available.  We would just roll it up and toss in the overcab area.  I think we also had an extra blanket for really cold nights.
RVSuperbag.com

HTH,
Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
The MB has surround windows in the back, for a very pleasant daytime lounge - with the two couches. Conversion to twin beds and back is pretty easy for sleeping, but as a king, doable but more work. If you want a permanent bed set up, the cabover queen is much better - if getting up and down isn't an issue and reading in bed not important...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
In our 98~MB we removed the cushions from the passenger's side rear lounge couch which is 6'-2" long.  We then folded out that couch and put a RV Queen mattress on it which is the width of a queen 60" wide and the length of a full 75" long.  As older Fossil mentioned the couch cushions that LD supplies are a different thickness and hardness so when we sleep on one of the crack you feel it in our 98~MB and folded as a King you have more cracks to lay on.  I do not know if that has changed in the newer models?  Unfortunately with our setup you loose the rear lounge but have a rear bedroom.  We are now working with a mattress maker who makes fold-able beds for Vans, we want a fold-able bed cushions for our Passenger side rear lounge couch that will fold out to 58" to 60" in width with folds you don't feel.  We have left the drivers side rear lounge couch as original.

We want our rear lounge back from time to time!

Karen~Liam
                        98 ~ MB
                          NinA

1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #4
I REALLY want a usable king bed in the back.  Husband is tall and I like to squiggle when I sleep and a queen just does not cut it for for both of us...been there many years ago. Right now he is the over cab and me in the full sized bed in the back in our jayco.  I will have to see how creative I have to get to make this work as a dedicated king bed.  More than willing to give up the nicety of a back seating area for this. I also know myself well enough to not want to play the make and unmake the bed each day.  Those twins may be looking better than I thought!  Thank you!

Reply #5
We use the twin bed arrangement and find it very easy to make up in the morning. If you go that route, your husband will want to be on the passenger side as that is the longer couch/bed.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
In our 98~MB the passenger side rear lounge couch is 74" and the closet wall sticks out about 25".  The driver-side rear lounge couch is 70" and that bathroom wall sticks out about 25".  So when the couches are folded out all and pushed together, half of that bed is 75" and the other half is 70".  I am about 6'-2" so I just fit on the passenger side for the first 25".  Hope that helps you?

Karen~Liam
        98 ~ MB
          NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #7
, the cabover queen is much better - if getting up and down isn't an issue and reading in bed not important...

Steve

???  I’ve been reading in the overcab for 15 years now with no issues. No coffee table tomes, of course. 😉 — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #8
When you do the king - there is no room on the sides. Imagine the couches spread wall to wall, crawling across the bed to get in or out.

http://www.lazydaze.com/images/lrgpics/lg08.jpg

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #9
???  I’ve been reading in the overcab for 15 years now with no issues. No coffee table tomes, of course. 😉 — Jon

And, not sitting up. If you can read reclined, I guess it works...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #10
HAHA, I knew there would be lots of crawling and groveling to make the bed but I want to sleep with hubby now that this will be our home instead of sticks and bricks...where we had a king.  We might try the twins for awhile and see how that goes and then scheme to see what we can do to make the king work comfortably.  Hubby is REALLY good at rigging/modifying/making etc.
Donna

Reply #11
We use a Queen duvet covering and a nice thick faux down insert inside it as a mattress pad for our TK. Then we cover it with a Queen size flat sheet for bottom..  and Queen flat sheet for top sheet.. Tucking in has become an art form for bottom pieces.  Folding the thick duvet in the overhead bunk during the day.  Soft, comfy  and easily put away.  Blankets are different for seasons, so we use layers and add or peel away.

Nadine

Reply #12
I should clarify,  this is how we do the TK couches pulled together, making a king bed.  The  overhead queen bunk is used sometimes as sleeping quarters for grandchildren.  I find as a personal preference in the morning,  drinking coffee in bed, looking out the back windows for hours.  The North Shore of Minnesota and Wisconsin has some magical scenery on Lake Superior. 

Nadine

Reply #13
Thanks Vikings!  That is helpful.  Do you find it lumpy at all or cushion separation...although they have no where to go due to the walls.
Donna

Reply #14
Donna, IF you really want a king size bed and are planning to live full time in an RV, you would probably be better off with some other RV than a Lazy Daze.

When I have looked at Class C's and A's with slides and king beds, I always wonder "why the king sized bed" instead of a queen? Precious little floor space left with king size beds. Compromise occurs with each RV choice.

Just my opinion,

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #15
I REALLY want a usable king bed in the back.  Husband is tall and I like to squiggle when I sleep and a queen just does not cut it for for both of us...been there many years ago. Right now he is the over cab and me in the full sized bed in the back in our jayco.  I will have to see how creative I have to get to make this work as a dedicated king bed.  More than willing to give up the nicety of a back seating area for this. I also know myself well enough to not want to play the make and unmake the bed each day.  Those twins may be looking better than I thought!  Thank you!
The wife used two sheets for the king.   Most of the time we leave it as a king, but if we wanted to get a sofa or two out of it each sofa has it's own sheet that stays attached, somewhat.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #16
Thanks steve.  We came originally from backpacking, then 20 foot trailer, now 24 foot class c and soon a midbath.  I don't really want a HUGE rv and the large footprint....for many reasons.  I also don't want a slide and don't need spacious.  I am going UP (lol) to the midbath because we need a bit more space and for grandchildren purposes.  Right now husband gets the overhead bunk in the c and I get the back happily but those grandchildren (6months and 20 months) won't have space unless we each take one in our beds (ugh).  I slept in a queen bed with hubby for MANY years (not happily) and finally got a king about 10 years ago and was/am infinitely happy.  Full time one month ago. I need my space and he heats up the bed too much in a queen.  The floor space is minor as opposed to the sleep space...I move around a lot in sleep to find cool spots.  I can also appreciate the quality put into the Lazydaze brand.  My jayco is a cheapie in all things but it has worked well for us for 9 years just not great for full time usage coming from a 2400 sf house and having to pour ourselves into this 24 foot.  We have used Jayco extensively for 2-4 months trips each year and usually several of them. 

Reply #17
Donna, It doesn't get lumpy.  I'd imagine if you leave it set up all the time.  The whole set up would need tightening up every few days.

My son took the TK to a southern MN barn wedding last weekend.  He set up the king bed and said it was very comfortable. 

Nadine

Reply #18
The MB has surround windows in the back, for a very pleasant daytime lounge - with the two couches. Conversion to twin beds and back is pretty easy for sleeping, but as a king, doable but more work. If you want a permanent bed set up, the cabover queen is much better - if getting up and down isn't an issue and reading in bed not important...

When I was in-between my hip replacements (and in pretty severe walking pain) I slept on the passenger side sofa with a twin two inch memory foam cushion on top.  I was somewhat afraid that my days of sleeping in the over-the-cab bed were over.  However, much to my surprise I recovered completely and much prefer sleeping in the upper bunk (and can access it easily).  Actually, I usually read in bed before sleeping and found it not to be an issue. 
I don't use the ladder and find it much easier to step on the dinette seat, then the back of the dinette to get into bed.  I do need to have the ceiling grip bar moved from the center to over the dinette for more safety. 
The only real problem is my malti-poo Luna likes to sleep with me and I "usually" have to put her in bed.  If I don't she sits and "stares me down" until she's where she wants to be.   ;)
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Reply #19
thanks Nadine.  I am pretty confident FIx-everything husband could come up with something.  I am thinking he might have an extra rachet strap laying around to cinch everything together...just don't put the mechanism where you climb in bed....  Thanks for your help.

Reply #20
Hi Cheryl,
We have a dog also and she sometimes sleeps with hubby in the upper bunk.  Since I have to get up in the wee hours to use toilet (I am right next to toilet), I really don't want to trek across the whole rv and stir up dog or worse yet have her think she can sleep with me.  She has no respect for parallel sleeping...46 lb. mutt must be touching someone or laying on a leg or something...ah NOPE.  My sleep which is sometimes hard won is sacred.  Cute fluff ball.