Skip to main content
Topic: Oil change frequency (Read 803 times) previous topic - next topic
Oil change frequency
I just had "Khaleesi" inspected for her 2 recalls. While at the dealer's I had them change the oil. There are about 4,000 miles on the motorhome. I had changed it at about 1,000 miles and before our last trip.

I noticed the dealer marked it for the next change due at 9,000 miles.

Lazy Daze recommends after 3,000 miles not 5,000 miles between changes.

Since we tow I'm going with changing the oil and filter every 3 to 4 thousand miles.
My assumption is that the dealer looks at the E-450 as a cargo van rather than a motorhome.
They also put 75 pounds in all tires. I had 65 front and  75 psi back. I noticed it grabs the grooves in the concrete freeway noticeably more at this pressure in the front.
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Oil change frequency
Reply #1
I just had "Khaleesi" inspected for her 2 recalls. While at the dealer's I had them change the oil. There are about 4,000 miles on the motorhome. I had changed it at about 1,000 miles and before our last trip.

I noticed the dealer marked it for the next change due at 9,000 miles.

Lazy Daze recommends after 3,000 miles not 5,000 miles between changes.

Since we tow I'm going with changing the oil and filter every 3 to 4 thousand miles.
My assumption is that the dealer looks at the E-450 as a cargo van rather than a motorhome.
They also put 75 pounds in all tires. I had 65 front and  75 psi back. I noticed it grabs the grooves in the concrete freeway noticeably more at this pressure in the front.
Just ranting or being funny,  Lazydaze probably hasn't updated that since 1982.   Anyhow, for some reason I've been thinking I will do my 1999 at 5000. I have changed it once so far since I owned at about 5000 (87,000) with Motorcraft semi synthetic.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #2
In the 2021 E450 Owners Manual, under the Scheduled Maintenance - Special Operating Conditions Scheduled Maintenance, the oil change interval is is 5000 miles, the dealer was correct in setting the next change at 9000 miles.
https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle/E-450/2021/owner-manuals/

The Ford and LD Owner's Manuals are your LD's bibles, believe in them.
If Ford says the oil change interval should be 5000 miles, I would put more faith in it than what LD specifies. Very few mechanical engineers work for Lazy Daze, none at last count.
Modern oils are very good and last much longer than the motor oils of our younger days.  Changing the oil early may feel good but it isn't necessary.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
I had the oil changed on Nocona at 35,600 miles after bringing her back from Florida. There is just under 4K miles on it now (39,400) but I'm going to change it out before our trip eastward later next month.  Planning on changing it out myself as the local mechanic wants to charge $125 and I can do it for a third of the price.

Other than oil and filter, are there any additional parts needed such as crush washers?  Oh yeah, I did buy a Fumoto valve for it so will installing it at that time.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
Fresh crush washers are a good idea. Lube the front end while you are at it.
Make sure the upper and lower ball joints have grease fittings, the ball joints do not come with them from the Factory, they have small plastic caps that can be removed, allowing grease fittings to be screwed in.

Larry
Larry

Reply #5
Per the Ford site, the 2017 E450 should have oil changed every 5,000 miles if towing, otherwise 7,500 miles
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Reply #6

"Other than oil and filter, are there any additional parts needed such as crush washers?  Oh yeah, I did buy a Fumoto valve for it so will installing it at that time."

Greg, if you install the Fumoto drain valve, you won't be needing any crush washers. I installed a Fumoto on our 2003 last year because I wanted an easy way to draw oil for an oil analysis. It sure makes draining the oil easier with a piece of hose added to the nipple; now I can drain the oil right into a large liquid detergent bottle for recycling.

Like Larry suggested, adding zerk fittings to the front suspension is a wise move. At least once a year I partially jack up the front wheels to take the weight off the suspension and lube the ball joints. My front end is still in great condition after 138,000 miles.

A word to the wise, when changing your own oil, swing the mirrors in so you don't smash your head when you stand back up. Like rubbing your leg on the textured running board, you hope to do that only once!😀

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #7
Good reminder! BTDT a few times with “skull knocking” the mirror when dragging myself upright after wiggling out from under the rig. I’m apparently a bit slow on the uptake on this move *and* with not making sure that the driver’s side window is closed before moving the rig after washing it. (Forget rain; it doesn’t do that here any more.) One would think….🥴

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Steve, thanks for the head knocking reminder as I’m pretty good at knocking my head on things!  🤪 When you swapped out the oil pan plug for the Fumoto, was a crush washer required at that time?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
Steve, thanks for the head knocking reminder as I’m pretty good at knocking my head on things!  🤪 When you swapped out the oil pan plug for the Fumoto, was a crush washer required at that time?

Greg, I don't think I used one. I know I called Fumoto about it because I don't think I ever used a crush washer with the regular drain plug; I seem to *think* they said not to use it. I don't think any of my domestic vehicles ever used a crush washer (Ford and GM) but we do use them on the Subarus we've owned.

One other oil change thing I do is fill the oil filter with oil before threading on the new filter. No dry starts for my vehicles!

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #10
I find myself using a compromise type of schedule, that balances my desire to keep clean oil in the engine, a vehicle that sit for extended periods of time, and a vehicle that doesn't usually 'need' an oil change each year due to mileage.

We tend to take 2-3 longer trips a year and then 2-3 short weekend trips. 

I buy a long life Mobil 1 oil filter (15k miles).  I'll start the travel season with new oil and filter, and then drain and refill just the oil (without a filter change) when I return from a longer trip and I know the rig will be sitting for a while. 

This leaves me with fresh oil in the engine for most of the time when it sits, and I find that it's easy and cheap to drain and refill (~$20) with synthetic 5w-20 (I use kirkland) oil.    I never get close to the 'limit' for oil or the filter. 

At the end of the season, before the longest storage period, I go with a new filter and new oil.

Probably overkill, but I think it might help mitigate the negative effects of sitting for weeks or months at a time.

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #11
Greg, a "crush washer" is not needed with a Fumoto Valve. Crush washers are intended to be replaced at every use. Fumoto valves come with their own sealing washer as they are for a "one-time use". Look here and you can see the blue sealing washer.

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #12
Ok, so here’s a question regarding the 5,000 mile recommendation for oil changes. (I’ve probably already raised this question) Some of us don’t drive our LD’s that much in a year, perhaps not even 3,000. This is especially true since COVID has impeded travel.

The rule of thumb has always been, in regards to stated mileage and oil changes, 3,000 to 5,000 miles or one year whichever comes first. Is this a good rule of thumb to observe?

My 2001 Avalon doesn’t get much use throughout the year. I’m lucky to put 2,000 miles on it. On my last visit to my mechanic for an oxygen sensor replacement, I requested an oil change. John, my mechanic, said to come back when I had driven the 5,000 miles recommended. “Ok”, I said, “That could take some time”.

For our ‘15 RB, I use Full Synthetic oil. I always try to watch my mileage and take into account the expected distance of a trip when the recommended mileage is getting close.

So, 5,000 miles or one year whichever comes first?

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #13
Thanks Steve, Charles.  I finally got off my arse and went out to the garage to look at the valve I purchased.  It’s a little different, not having the blue sealing washer but an o-ring instead. This is the one (F106SX  M14-1.5)

Fumoto® SX Series Oil Drain Valves
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #14
Greg, I installed the same valve. I also purchased and use Fumoto’s accessory plastic nipple and a length of Tygon tube to direct the used oil into my oil receptacle. This eliminates wind blown oil splatter for the most part. You will still need to prepare for some splatter from the oil that drains out of the oil filter manifold.

I haven’t installed the ball joint zirc fittings yet but do grease the four joints with OEM zirc fittings.

All, instruction how to install the ball joint zirc fittings are welcome.

Warren
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #15
Greg, I installed the same valve. I also purchased and use Fumoto’s accessory plastic nipple and a length of Tygon tube to direct the used oil into my oil receptacle. This eliminates wind blown oil splatter for the most part. You will still need to prepare for some splatter from the oil that drains out of the oil filter manifold.

I haven’t installed the ball joint zirc fittings yet but do grease the four joints with OEN zirc fittings.

Warren

Yep, got the tubing kit as well.  I would also like to hear more detail about the zerk fittings. 
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #16
Ok, so here’s a question regarding the 5,000 mile recommendation for oil changes. (I’ve probably already raised this question) Some of us don’t drive our LD’s that much in a year, perhaps not even 3,000. This is especially true since COVID has impeded travel.

The rule of thumb has always been, in regards to stated mileage and oil changes, 3,000 to 5,000 miles or one year whichever comes first. Is this a good rule of thumb to observe?

So, 5,000 miles or one year whichever comes first?
Kent

Kent, I think you and I must be the only Rvers staying home! We've hardly put any miles on it the last 2 years either.

As for the oil change interval, I concur with your thinking. I use full synthetic and my do it myself oil changes typically cost me less than $35. The peace of mind from changing it at least once a year is probably the least expensive part of ownership for me.

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #17

Warren

I will try to crawl under our rig tomorrow to refresh my zerk memory. My alignment shop installed them 18 years ago. As for a size of the fitting, I would take out one of the threaded plugs and take it to an autoparts store for a size match. I just don't remember if they are all 90° angle zerk fittings or if some are straight.

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #18
Quote from: Steve K.
As for a size of the fitting, I would take out one of the threaded plugs and take it to an autoparts store for a size match. I just don't remember if they are all 90° angle zerk fittings or if some are straight.

Our 2003 has 45 degree grease fittings on all four ball joints 
The lower ball joints take a beating on rough roads and are one of the first major items to wear out in the front end.
With regular lubing, our LD’s ball joint lasted 120,000 miles. I have known of several LD's that have needed replacement at 70,000 miles or less, none had grease fittings.
As Steve suggested, lifting the front wheels off the ground allows the lower ball joints to open up and accept grease, when lowering, the excess grease flush debris out of the ball joint’s mating surfaces.
A major reason for annual oil changes once was condensation build up, today’s engines are better sealed. If you feel better changing the oil early, no harm occurs except maybe to your wallet.

Larry
Larry

Reply #19
I can pick up a 6 quart box of Mobil 1 full synthetic when it goes on sale at Costco for $27.99. I can typically get a Motorcraft oil filter shipped from Amazon for around $6. So doing it myself it only cost about $35 and I do a change annually. I must say I have never used a crush washer on my drain plug so now I'm curious!
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #20
Back to Zerk grease fittings... I looked under my rig this morning and saw that the alignment shop installed 90° fittings on the upper ball joints and straight fittings on the lower ball joints. If you are looking at your ball joints, the fittings install on the lower side of both the upper and lower ball joints.

I think Larry's 45° angled Zerks might make the job even easier;  if I was to do it over I would probably follow his lead.

Another thing to consider would be to install protective covers on the Zerks to keep them clean. Amazon has them.

Lube on!

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #21
Just changed the oil and filter, and installed the Fumoto. It was straightforward and not too difficult.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #22
Just changed the oil and filter, and installed the Fumoto. It was straightforward and not too difficult.

Too bad the oil filter doesn't have a drain valve, it's always messy to remove. When replacing the oil filter, pre-fill it with oil to reduce the time the engine runs before the oil pressure is restored.
Oil changes are the time when the front end should be lubed, lifting the front wheels allow better lubrication of the lower ball joints, as recently discussed. With the front wheels off the ground, it's the perfect time to check the front wheel bearings for proper tightness. Investing in an HD floor jack or 8-ton, or bigger, the hydraulic jack will enable you to do this.

If your LD has the optional Bilstein shocks, check the front shock's top bushings for tightness, they are almost never tightened enough at the Mothership, when installed. I have found dozens of LDs with loose or missing bushings on the top shocks including Daryl's "new" LD. When the bushings loosen, they can destroy themselves and eventually fall out.

Larry
Larry

Reply #23
The front shocks appear to be factory original. Thanks for the reminder on pre-filling the oil filter.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #24

Huh I’ve never heard of the Fumoto drain valve. Think I’ll pick one up!
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.