Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing stock speakers (Read 742 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing stock speakers

This is great deal.

Infinity Reference 8632CFX 6"x8" 2-Way Car Speakers - Pair Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 8632CFX 6"x8" 2-Way Car Speakers - Pair :...

Also, here's how:

How to Install New Door Speakers in Your E-450 Chassis RV - Trek With Us

Mine get here tomorrow.
If these sound as good I think they are I will get another pair for the back.

My deck was upgraded by LD to a Sony but they left the stock speakers which are horrible.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Replacing stock speakers
Reply #1
Thanks for the tip! As a supplement to the video, this photo showing how to remove the door trim may be useful as a reference. I prepared it when upgrading the speakers in my 2003 midbath a few years ago.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Is this the same for a 2008 LD? I replaced the rear speakers since its so easy to do but haven't tackled the front door speakers yet. I would really like to replace the Sony receiver with a double din screen that supports Apple CarPlay but I have no idea how it would be wired.
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #3
"I would really like to replace the Sony receiver with a double din screen that supports Apple CarPlay but I have no idea how it would be wired".

Joe,

Have you called Crutchfield? They have good support for installations in my experience. They might be able to help!

Bill
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #4
"I would really like to replace the Sony receiver with a double din screen that supports Apple CarPlay but I have no idea how it would be wired".

Joe,

Have you called Crutchfield? They have good support for installations in my experience. They might be able to help!

Bill
I agree.
Crutchfield is a little higher on their prices but the customer service makes it well worth the price.

Car Stereo: Stereos, Radios & Receivers
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #5

I ordered a set. You are right…$40 cheaper than Crutchfield and Amazon sells the harness. So I need to change the harness to fix the polarities? And yes I actually reached out to Crutchfield regarding the receiver and they weren’t much help…I think I need to give it another shot. I think I didn’t get the best rep via email.

This is great deal.

Infinity Reference 8632CFX 6"x8" 2-Way Car Speakers - Pair Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 8632CFX 6"x8" 2-Way Car Speakers - Pair :...

Also, here's how:

How to Install New Door Speakers in Your E-450 Chassis RV - Trek With Us

Mine get here tomorrow.
If these sound as good I think they are I will get another pair for the back.

My deck was upgraded by LD to a Sony but they left the stock speakers which are horrible.

Joe B.

Reply #6
I ordered a set. You are right…$40 cheaper than Crutchfield and Amazon sells the harness. So I need to change the harness to fix the polarities? And yes I actually reached out to Crutchfield regarding the receiver and they weren’t much help…I think I need to give it another shot. I think I didn’t get the best rep via email.

Just an FYI. I had factory system changed to pioneer with infinity speakers front and back. Also had tweeters installed front pillars and best of all while doors were taken apart I had sound deadening material installed. Sounds great and really cuts down on exterior noise.
2019 MB

Reply #7

I have the harnesses in order.
They should be here today.
I'll switch the wires if the polarity is reversed. Something to be aware of according to the reviews.
I may forgo the adapter and just straight wire them.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #8

I have the harnesses on order.
I'll switch the wires if the polarity is reversed. Something to be aware of according to the reviews.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #9
l while doors were taken apart I had sound deadening material installed. Sounds great and really cuts down on exterior noise.

While the door panels are off, it’s a good time to apply a sound damping. Apply the damping adhesive sheets to the inside of the exterior sheet metal door, after wiping the surface with a solvent to remove any grease or dirt.
Dynamat is the best known among many suppliers of sound damping and insulation suppliers.
Car Soundproofing & Noise Reduction | Dynamat Extreme | Dynamat
I have used this brand seveal times with success.
Super Sonic Acoustical Mat Thermo Tec | Thermo Tec

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
While the door panels are off, it’s a good time to apply a sound damping. Apply the damping adhesive sheets to the inside of the exterior sheet metal door, after wiping the surface with a solvent to remove any grease or dirt.
Dynamat is the best known among many suppliers of sound damping and insulation suppliers.
Car Soundproofing & Noise Reduction | Dynamat Extreme | Dynamat
I have used this brand seveal times with success.
Super Sonic Acoustical Mat Thermo Tec | Thermo Tec

Larry

Very good idea. Do you just cover as much of the interior door as possible?
Joe B.

Reply #11
Very good idea. Do you just cover as much of the interior door as possible?

The idea is to reduce reverberation of thre sheet metal, so yes, cover as much of the inside of the exterior door panel as possible. Some cover ever square inch of the accessable interior sheet metal, floors, door and ceiling, after removing the trim or whatever is covering the metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9s2MmkDZ_o

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #12
The idea is to reduce reverberation of thre sheet metal, so yes, cover as much of the inside of the exterior door panel as possible. Some cover ever square inch of the accessable interior sheet metal, floors, door and ceiling, after removing the trim or whatever is covering the metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9s2MmkDZ_o

Larry

Thanks for this idea Larry.
I ordered this age will use it on my sites when I replace the speakers.

KILMAT 80 mil 36 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening Amazon.com: KILMAT 80 mil 36 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, Butyl Automotive...
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #13
Thanks for this idea Larry.
I ordered this age will use it on my sites when I replace the speakers.

KILMAT 80 mil 36 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening Amazon.com: KILMAT 80 mil 36 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, Butyl Automotive...

Literally just ordered the same sound deadening material and roller. Everything is supposed to arrive Sunday. Hopefully in time to have a fun project for the day.
Joe B.

Reply #14
Literally just ordered the same sound deadening material and roller. Everything is supposed to arrive Sunday. Hopefully in time to have a fun project for the day.

Working on it today.
I also put a layer inside.

2021 Mid Bath

Reply #15

Working on it today.
I also put a layer inside.

Looks really clean. My kit is coming tomorrow and depending on the time it arrives I may try and tackle it. i already received my speakers and harness. Did you notice if you had to chance the polarity using the harness? The only downside I see is if you ever need to swap out your window regulator. Would be a pain to have to pull that all off and out of the way to access it.
Joe B.

Reply #16
Looks really clean. My kit is coming tomorrow and depending on the time it arrives I may try and tackle it. i already received my speakers and harness. Did you notice if you had to chance the polarity using the harness? The only downside I see is if you ever need to swap out your window regulator. Would be a pain to have to pull that all off and out of the way to access it.

My harnesses aren't here yet.
I'll inspect them closely and switch them if need be.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #17
UPDATE

Got the speakers installed finally and the difference is profoundly better. Those cheap paper cone Ford speakers are fairly worthless.

A really good upgrade.
The sound is so much more "present" and dynamic.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #18
Hi Tedeboy, do those Infinity's also fit in the rear MB speaker enclosures? Also, was the 36 sq. ft. of Kilmat enough to cover both doors? Thanks
Don't know about Tedeboy but I had Infinity speakers installed in my rear MB speaker enclosures. They fit perfectly and sound even better.
2019 MB

Reply #19
I picked up my new to me LD on September 27th. 14 years ago.
It had a cassette player but I came prepared. I dug up some old cassettes I made and brought them with me.
That got me back across Texas and into New Mexico.
The first thing I improved was a new stereo and speakers. I got a CD player, one that would play MP3's. It has a remote control so I can easily use it while lounging in back.
It has served me well in 14 years, the rear speakers made a huge improvement, and I adjust the balance a bit toward the rear.
I started making Lazy Daze number 1, with MP3's I can get about 140 or so songs per CD, about 10 hours of excellent music.
I'm up to Lazy Daze number 9 now, so have a lot of music for the road, or just having music with my meals, which I enjoy.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #20
I have the harnesses on order.

Ted,
I didn't see...was the harness reversed polarity?
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #21
Ted,
I didn't see...was the harness reversed polarity?

For my 2008 the harness was reversed polarity and I resoldered the connections to the proper lug on the speaker. I ended up not doing the full Dynamat insulation for the job and instead went with these speaker baffles that install in the speaker hole.
Amazon.com: Design Engineering 050371 Boom Mat Speaker Baffles, 6" x 8" Oval...
Joe B.

Reply #22
For a TK the front speakers are a 'don't care'. The only time I'm in the front is when I'm driving, and then sound quality is hard to discern what with noise and all.  The back speakers were replace almost immediately, and plywood boxes that protect the new 6x9" speakers from debris settling onto the back of the cones.  That also provides a baffled acoustic suspension.  Rear dinette seating and a radio with a remote control (a novel idea for LD at the time) provides good audio.  The rear cigarette lighter socket (power point) allows me to plug in my XMradio 'Roadie' in the back wall under the flip up TV platform.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #23
Hi Tedeboy, what is the correct harness you used off Amazon to connect the Infinity's? Was there a polarity issue? Thanks
2003 Mid Bath