Skip to main content
Topic: IN MEMORIAM: Gary Villere (Read 1165 times) previous topic - next topic
IN MEMORIAM: Gary Villere
On August 15th, 2021, our co-moderator, Judie Ashford, sadly lost her beloved husband, Gary Villere, after a long battle with Multiple Myeloma.  Happily, he outlived every negative prediction by eleven years.  Gary was an avid hiker, bicyclist, nature lover, and RV'er for over fifty years.  He and Judie enjoyed many years of travel starting in the 70’s with a VW Campmobile; a VW Westfalia; Gertie, an ’85 Lazy Daze; a Newmar Mountain Aire motorhome; a Sportsmobile custom camper van; and finally an ’05 Lazy Daze Rear Bath.

Please share your condolences with Judie, and wish Gary happy trails.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: IN MEMORIAM: Gary Villere
Reply #1
Judie, deep condolences to you!  I have followed your adventures from your posts on the LD forums over the years.  I believe I first became aware of you and Gary 20 years ago when Andy Baird introduced himself and said he was buying an LD named "Gertie".

Art Berggreen
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
So extremely sorry for your loss. I can only imagine the years of good memories you have to hold on to.
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #3
Judy, so sorry to hear of Gary's passing.  Although we have never met in person, it's always sad to lose a member of the LDO family.  May God grant you strength and peace in this time of sorrow and transition.  Fair winds and following seas to Gary.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
Gary was a great guy with a lot of interests, a former NASA engineer. It's a shame to lose him.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your loved ones.
Sam

Reply #7
My thoughts and prayers for you and your family and friends. My condolences the the LD family as well.
2002 TK 24ft

Reply #8
May you fine the peace you need with loved ones during your time of sorrow.
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #9
Judie, So sorry for your loss. We never met but reading about your travels it feels like we did meet. Condolences to you and your family, may Gary RIP.  :-[
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #10
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beloved "NOLA Boy" as you referred to him in your blog.  When I didn't see a post since the first part of August, I feared the worst. 

Your husband was indeed a "fighter," and your love for him was evident - especially as he loved your cooking.  Please rest in the knowledge of your love for each other and the life you made together...

Bless you and may "NOLA Boy" rest in peace...
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Reply #11
Judie, I’m so very sorry to hear of the passing of your husband Gary.  Please accept my sincere condolences and prayers for you and your family.
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #12
Judie please accept my condolences for your loss. While we don't know each other, we are siblings in the Lazy Daze family and share your sorrow.

Peace,
Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #13
I am so sorry to hear this sad news. Judie please know you have our sympathy and prayers.
John and Gina
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #14
Judie,

We have never met but I’ve read your thoughtful and wise comments on their forum for years.  My heart is with you, I am so sorry for your loss.
Jules Anderson
'O6 IB Anniversary Model
Sue, My Copilot
Carlie, our canine princess

Reply #15
Judie, so sorry for your loss.  May your memories of Gary bring you peace and healing.  Linda C
2003 RB “Lulu Boo Berry” The Blue Ghost
2008 Jeep Liberty “Mr. Toad”

Reply #16
Judie,

At this time of your great loss, my heart aches with sorrow. This world of ours is large and there are many souls we will not have the opportunity to meet and share our lives. 

Heaven is vast and all souls rejoice with their increased closeness to God. There our dearly departed share with one another the lives they lived and the love given to one another while on earth. Your love with Gary rings throughout heaven and blesses us all.

Thank you.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #17
I'm so sorry to hear this, Judie.  Please accept my condolences on Gary's passing. 
Linda Hylton

Reply #18
Judie, my deepest condolences. We have yet to meet but I think we have many common travel experiences. Gary will be greatly missed in the LDO family.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #19
I'm so sorry Judie, you and your beloved NOLA boy are in my thoughts and prayers.
2002 27" RB

Reply #20
Judie,

I'm so sorry to hear about Gary. He was such a fighter and reading your blog posts it's clear how much you were there for him during his battle. May your memories of him bring you peace and carry you through until you meet again.

Blessings,
 Ron and Sue Young
2009 31' IB "BoonDoggle"
2014 Honda CRV Towed

Reply #21
Dear Judie,

Sorry for your the loss of your husband Gary.  Cherish the memories and know that you will see him again in heaven.

Gary & Karen Jacobsen
2007 30' TB

Reply #22
Our deepest sincerity for your loss Judie.  How wonderful you both lived life to your fullest.  I cherish my endeavors going forward.
Our time is limited. Live it.  We are all on the downside of this wonderful life.  You have  been blessed.  Love to you.  Robin
2006 31' IB Anniversary Edition; Tow 97' Wrangler

Reply #23
Gary was a brilliant, brilliant man. Judie took such wonderful care of him during his illness, giving him the very best of nutrition which I really feel prolonged his life. It was sad to hear of Gary's passing, and I mourn him along with all who knew him.
--
Jan Forseth
2007 27' Midbath named Footloose

Reply #24
Many thanks to everyone for their kind words, both public and private.  To say I am disconsolate would be an understatement.  I know others have been in the same position, but this is the most difficult thing I have ever faced. 

I'm not handling this as well as I thought I would be able to having had fifteen years to prepare for it.  My world came crashing down around me within two weeks.  Yes, he had been deteriorating over the last couple of years, but this acceleration was unexpected.  One week in the hospital and one at home on hospice was all we had. 

Unfortunately the brain is apparently the first to go, so our communication during those last two weeks was scanty, although we had talked about this phase many times over the years.  I kept waiting for him to sit up and ask for French toast and bacon!  But the best I could get would be to ask him for a kiss and he would pucker up for me.

There seems to always be a song rattling around in my head, sometimes for weeks at a time, and now it is Nat King Cole's version of "Let There Be Love".  The line that brought this on was "someone to bless me whenever I sneeze".  I was always well blessed after such an event, and the silence now is deafening.

The hole in my heart and the well of tears have been mitigated some by the steadfast friends who have kept my fingers busy with messages and good conversations.  And for that, I am very grateful.

I am undecided about how to move forward.  I need only one motorhome, but there seem to be three of them taking up space in my life now.  Do I even want to travel on my own?  I always thought I would, but now I am not so sure.  These are weird times because of COVID, and I don't see a clear path.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be most grateful to benefit from the collective wisdom of our Lazy Daze family.

Here is the rest of what Mr. Cole had to say:

Let There Be Love
Song by Nat King Cole, George Shearing

Let there be you, let there be me
Let there be oysters under the sea
Let there be wind and occasional rain
Chilli con carne and sparkling champagne
Let there be birds to sing in the trees
Someone to bless me, whenever I sneeze
Let there be cuckoos, a lark and a dove
But first of all please, let there be love
Let there be cuckoos, a lark and a dove