Skip to main content
Topic: 6-pin Electrical Connection to Toad Question (Read 100 times) previous topic - next topic
6-pin Electrical Connection to Toad Question
We have a 2018 Twin King on the Ford E450 chassis and a V10 engine.  I am trying to hook up a toad.  It is a 1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ.  When checking the 6-pin electrical connector on the RV side, I am getting power to everything but the tail/running lights.  On the Ford’s fuse diagram, I could not identify a fuse for the tow’s running lights.  The RV’s running lights work just fine.  The fuses I see all appear to be good.  I don’t know how to check the relays.  I traced the wire from the 6-pin connector up to the first harness connection.  On the harness’ 4-pin connection, everything from the engine side was getting power except the wire for the tow’s tail/running lights.  Tracing the wire back to the engine is beyond me. 
My question:  The side light wire is right by the 6-pin connection.  This has the same power as the running lights.  I’m wondering if I can splice into that and connect it to the 6-pin connector for the tow.  I’m concerned that the amperage from the jeep plus the side and tail lights for the RV might be too much for the fuse.  Can anyone help with this question or offer any other ideas? 
Also, on the Jeep side of the 6-pin connector, does the 12-volt power wire have to connect directly to the battery or can I connect it to any hot wire?
Thanks in advance. 
2018 24' Twin King (replacing 1987 22' TK)

Re: 6-pin Electrical Connection to Toad Question
Reply #1
Linda-

I recommend no splicing. On a coach as new as yours you will be fine using the supplied connection- once you replace the fuse.

My computer is in the shop at the moment, or I would tell you what fuse that is. I should have an answer for you by tomorrow or Thursday.

The 12V wire on the Jeep should connect to a 15 amp fuse, then the battery. The fuse should be less than one foot from the battery post.

Mark H.
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath