Skip to main content
Topic: Hairline cracks-rear corners (Read 911 times) previous topic - next topic
Hairline cracks-rear corners
My husband and I prefer to avoid major highways when we travel but with that comes some bumpy rides. We took a 2400 mile trip in Greengo and later found hairline cracks in each of the rear outer corners of the fiberglass (or plastic) both at the same height.  Can anyone recommend a product to fill the cracks? Not sure if it matters but ours is a 2017 RB 27’.
Tammy’s 2017 RB

Re: Hairline cracks-rear corners
Reply #2
That sounds perfect Dan. Thank you so much!
Tammy’s 2017 RB

Reply #3

There is Captain Tolley’s Creeping Crack repair. Blueox25 (Harold) recommended this product. He owns a sea fairing vehicle and as such he is very familiar with the true value and quality of Capt. Tulley’s.

When our ‘15 RB developed a hairline crack in the same cover (end cap...plastic), I purchased a bottle. Still unused in the utility drawer in the rig. I took the rig to the Mothership and had the part replaced and painted.

Here’s a link to the product on Amazon. There are at least two sizes to choose from. Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (Leak/Crack Sealer) 2 fl.oz Amazon.com: Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (Leak/Crack Sealer) 2 fl.oz...

Best of luck. Tulley’s is perfect for hairline cracks. Our crack was a bit wider than that. LD did a wonderful job with the repair. Here are pics of the crack. Trust me the repair was perfect (can’t locate an after shot).

Kent

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
This sounds great!  Thank you

Oh my gosh!  Your cracks look almost identical to mine.  I'm going to upload photos so you can see.  I can't take Greengo to the Mothership as we live in Colorado.

Here's my photos...  Must be a weak spot on the LD's
Tammy’s 2017 RB

Reply #5
I believe the cracks are due to “flex” of the coach. When ours cracked, we had spent a very warm week at Watchman CG in Zion.

I always walk around the rig for final exams for any issues. The end caps were intact before the short drive back to Long Beach.

I was starting a wash & wax session at home. Then I saw the crack. I was shocked. Todd and Vince got me in quickly and back on the road. While the issue is common, it isn’t universal among LD’s. Just the luck of the draw, I suppose.

Kent

Reply #6
Kent,  Did you have to pay for the repair?
Tammy’s 2017 RB

Reply #7
Our RB was out of warranty. I paid out of pocket. Can’t recall the total cost. Less than a grand. I remember that much.

Kent

Reply #8
I had two hairline cracks on right rear end cap.  Using the advice of fellow members, I used 2 inch wide VIVIViD 3M Clear Paint Surface Protection Vinyl Wrap for the crack on the non-white portion of the end cap and 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 5200 for the crack on the white portion of the end cap.
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Reply #9
Cracks in the end caps will continue to flex, a common problem in all LDs, many times blowing out the seal where the rear top caps meet the lower end caps. The continued flexing will push the sealant out or break the seal, over time.
As solid as an LD feels, the body is constantly flexing and twisting when on rough roads. The stress is mostly well distributed but evidently, there are spots of high stress in the rear caps.

I like Dan's suggestion to use 3M's Scotchgard Clear Paint Protection film, it's good stuff and is made for long-term exposure to the elements.
Either way, the end caps need to stay sealed, water leaking into the end caps are a common cause of frame rot.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
Thankfully 'Nocona' is doing just fine so far but I check her often.  Hopefully I didn't just jinx her!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #11
I use this product to seal over end cap cracks.  It is clear so it doesn't stand out like a blemish and it seals the crack against water invasion.

Amazon.com: 3M Scotchgard Clear Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 6-by-48-inche...

Dan

Hi Dan

I found your post after being directed here by Larry W.   I have a question about this product.  Is it easy to apply and like tape?  I saw someone else recommended a 3M product that was called a "film" and seems to be tricky to apply.
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2013 TK

Reply #12
I had two hairline cracks on right rear end cap.  Using the advice of fellow members, I used 2 inch wide VIVIViD 3M Clear Paint Surface Protection Vinyl Wrap for the crack on the non-white portion of the end cap and 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 5200 for the crack on the white portion of the end cap.

Hi

How did the repair go?  Was it easy to do?  Is the "vinyl wrap" applied like regular tape or does it require a involved process?

Is the Sealant Fast Cure in a tube or paint on?

Are you pleased with the result?  Do you have any further suggestions?  Where did you buy it?

Thanks!
Corky
2013 TK

Reply #13
I like the smaller tape like this - if the picture comes through
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #14
could get the link right but here it is on Amazon.
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #15
I believe the cracks are due to “flex” of the coach. When ours cracked, we had spent a very warm week at Watchman CG in Zion.

I always walk around the rig for final exams for any issues. The end caps were intact before the short drive back to Long Beach.

I was starting a wash & wax session at home. Then I saw the crack. I was shocked. Todd and Vince got me in quickly and back on the road. While the issue is common, it isn’t universal among LD’s. Just the luck of the draw, I suppose.

Kent

Hi Kent,

Do you remember how long it took to make the repair?  Was it a few hours, or overnight, or more?

I have heard from Todd and he suggested sending the part to us via UPS.   So, now we are looking for who to repair and would like an idea of what is involved time-wise. 

BTW:  Todd says he can ship it and the cost would be $150 inclusive.

Thanks!
2013 TK

Reply #16
Cracked end cap repaired for 18 months.  Used 3M tape.

Reply #17
Been trying to post photo for a few days.  The sever on this forum does not allow due for some reason.  I've never had a problem before.  I'm quite perplexed. 

Sorry no photo in post.

Nadine

Reply #18
I used the Vvivid 3m product, 6 inch width, from Amazon.
The right side of my 2016 midbath has several cracks and the left side has just one and a second one starting. I just overlaid the crack areas with the full 6 inches of the wrap and I believe it will keep the water out. The sealant on the edges look OK so I will go with this for now.
2016 Mid Bath

Reply #19
I used the Vvivid 3m product, 6 inch width, from Amazon.
The right side of my 2016 midbath has several cracks and the left side has just one and a second one starting. I just overlaid the crack areas with the full 6 inches of the wrap and I believe it will keep the water out. The sealant on the edges look OK so I will go with this for now.

As long as the tape and side seams are intact, it should be waterproof.

The 3M tape stays clear for many years and is an easy and nearly invisible repair. Odds are if the Factory replaced the cap, it would crack again. The rear end of all floorplans of LDs gets twisted when on rough roads.

There is another issue with the rear end.
The cab and coach are mounted on top of the frame, separated from the frame by large rubber cushions which allow the coach to move separately from the frame, with the notable exception of the rear bumper.
The bumper is connected to the frame with large, "U" shaped steel extensions, the bumper is also connected to the bottom of the coach's rear wall, across the top of the bumper.
I wonder how much stress is generated across the connection of the bumper to the frame and coach on rough roads. how it affects the flexing of the rear wall and the cracking and separating of the rear caps?
It looks like an engineering no-no. The energy of the opposing movements needs to be dissipated. 
Any mechanical engineers out there willing to make an assessment of bumper mounting?

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #20
Hi Larry; I'm not a mechanical engineer.  The frame extension for the hitch needs to be pretty solid, but steel does bend and flex.  The bumper attachment carriage bolts that attach to the bottom back of the coach box, should have neoprene bushings around those carriage bolts.  That would allow the back of the motorhome to shift separately from the frame. That back crosswise piece of 2x4 laying on the frame (the one that rots so easily) should have a rubber layer, say 1/4" thick, with the box resting on top.  IMHO that would absorb some of the twisting moment between the two structures.  
   I've always kept the frame to box 'rubber cushions' really tight from the start, to minimize motion between the cab and coach box, so called 'front end caps' just behind the driver and passenger doors, and stress on the windshield to cabover junction.  I've had squeaking there, audible at the driver seat, and added some screws above across the windshield.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #21
The clear tape solution seems like it would keep out the moisture and allow for it to become a flex point.  Owners that did this seem to have no reoccurrence of cracks.  Since the rear corners are prone to cracks perhaps LD could redesign the end cap to reduce that event.  Instead of one long end cap, install two or more pieces with the breaks nearest where owners see the most cracks.  They would have to seal the pieces in such a way to keep out moisture and allow it to act as a flex point or stress reliever.  Applying tape on inside and outside of end cap at the two piece seam or using very flexible sealant may do it.

Ron
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #22
The cracks are lined up perfectly with the top frame of the couch/bed frame area. Wonder if the framing moves fore and aft during big bumps.  Might be generating enough stress to flex and crack the end cap. Would extra bracing in the corners cause even more stress? Perhaps better to have the back edge of the couches “floating” with a sliding junction rather than a screwed and glue connection?  Inquiring minds………..
Currently headed for Bear head lake state park (MN). Powerful tailwind, average mpg 12.8 currently. Love the V10.
2016 Mid Bath

Reply #23
As I'm working on fixing a little dry rot on mine it is more stapled than screwed. I'm thinking of reinforcing and bracing a little more in the corner and see if it cracks more.  I have the couch floating currently.
1997 TK

Reply #24
Took the advice and got some 3M PPF for the few small cracks on our LD. My wife is much more patient with installs such as this so I left her take charge of this repair. Came out great and indeed looks nearly invisible. Hoping it holds up well
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.