Skip to main content
Topic: My next Project... (Read 168 times) previous topic - next topic
My next Project...
Has me very nervous. Obviously dry rot..... How to go about this? Any thoughts re a proper approach.
LD 22', 1989 Custom Build. Chassis 1990 Chevy Van G30, 5.7l.

Re: My next Project...
Reply #1
Has me very nervous. Obviously dry rot..... How to go about this? Any thoughts re a proper approach.

Well, do you want to do it right or just get it weathertight, doing what you can to repair some of the damage without complete disassembly, hoping it holds together for the duration?  It's 32 years old, how much are you willing to put into it?

If LD repaired it, at a minimum, the lower aluminum panel would come off to access the damage. Pricey.
LD doesn't work on models more than 20-25 years old anymore, so you would need to find a shop that could do it or make it an involved DIY project.
Without an inspection, any suggestion is a wild guess.
I would start by pulling the complete heater out to get a good idea of what is damaged, repair as much damage as possible before reinstalling and sealing it.
You should be able to partially access the rear of the heater from the interior, to get a better look without removal.
The wave in the side may indicate more extensive damage.
LDs are much stronger than most RV, many older LDs have extensive rot damage, yet keep rolling along with the remaining intact structure picking up the load.
Pull the water heater out and see what's what. Post some photos too
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: My next Project...
Reply #2
Well, do you want to do it right or just get it weathertight, doing what you can to repair some of the damage without complete disassembly, hoping it holds together for the duration?  It's 32 years old, how much are you willing to put into it?

If LD repaired it, at a minimum, the lower aluminum panel would come off to access the damage. Pricey.
LD doesn't work on models more than 20-25 years old anymore, so you would need to find a shop that could do it or make it an involved DIY project.
Without an inspection, any suggestion is a wild guess.
I would start by pulling the complete heater out to get a good idea of what is damaged, repair as much damage as possible before reinstalling and sealing it.
You should be able to partially access the rear of the heater from the interior, to get a better look without removal.
The wave in the side may indicate more extensive damage.
LDs are much stronger than most RV, many older LDs have extensive rot damage, yet keep rolling along with the remaining intact structure picking up the load.
Pull the water heater out and see what's what. Post some photos too

Thanks Larry. My plan is to do a 'proper' repair. I suppose I am attached to her/him. I do not mind spending what I need to. With the help and suggestions, such as yours, I know I can get it done and I want to get it done. I have an idea of what needs to be done. I just think I would be remiss if I did not seek the thoughts and experiences of others.
LD 22', 1989 Custom Build. Chassis 1990 Chevy Van G30, 5.7l.