Skip to main content
Topic: Sideswiped on right side, window damaged (Read 247 times) previous topic - next topic
Sideswiped on right side, window damaged
On Friday, 8/13/21, our LD was sideswiped by a semi truck that wandered into our lane. We were on the 210 fwy passing through Pasadena at the time. The lanes seem to be very narrow there. The semi’s left side mirror impacted our right side front lounge window and something put about a 6’ narrow dent along the rear of our LD near the bathroom window.  The damage seems minor except for the window. The window appears to be etched or broken on the outside glass panel ( look for the white C shape in the picture). I think it’s going to have to be replaced. Of course the semi took off right after the impact. Another scar for “road patina” on the finish :(
Update: I was able to buff away most of the marks.  However,  there is an area that is actually etched into the glass. See the last photo.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Re: Sideswiped on right side, window damaged
Reply #1
that C mark on the window looks like the Amazon logo.....

that really sucks, hope it's a speedy recovery for patina
1995 23.5 Rear Lounge

Reply #2
Did the truck pull over to exchange contact and insurance information?
It's scary to have it happen, it happens so quickly. One of our LD's mirrors has been hit once and, years ago, my work truck's mirror hit a Highway Patrol motorcycle officer's bike mirror, while he was cutting lanes on the freeway, he wobbled and almost went down. He had a lucky day.

If the window isn't broken, the scratch may be removed using a glass polishing kit.
Pro Glass Polishing Kit
Glass Polishing Kit for Deep Scratches

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Thanks Larry,  no the truck did not pull over. I will try buffing out the window first but it feels like it’s actually shattered on the outer pane. I have to get a ladder and magnifying glass to look at it closer.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #4

Finding the correct color of safety glass can be a problem.
If the cracking is limited and localized, it may be salvageable with a windshield bullseye repair kit.Amazon.com: Permatex 16067 Bullseye Windshield Repair Kit, .025 oz. Syringe,...

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
I once got someone from Safelite look at a bullseye I have on the bunch bed window, and they told me at least that it would not expand or anything more since the glass is shatter glass type. so at least of anything it's good to know that it will just stay as is and not get all over.. then again that's what they said, idk
1995 23.5 Rear Lounge