Skip to main content
Topic: Death Valley - winter vacation (Read 90 times) previous topic - next topic
Death Valley - winter vacation
Being in planning mood ---

They year it looks like LB and I will be heading to Death Valley during the Christmas times.   Wondering if other LD folk are planning time there also........

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Re: Death Valley - winter vacation
Reply #1
For many years there was a group of LD owners (us included) that would gather just after Christmas and go through New Years.  I don't know if that is still happening, as many of the people that started it no longer have LDs.  Lot of those folks were avid offroaders and we got to know most of the back roads in the area.  The group would tend to gather in Sunset CG fairly near the entrance to what was then called the Ranch.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Re: Death Valley - winter vacation
Reply #2
We go to DV almost every winter, usually after Xmas or New Year. Each year we see a few LDs from the Caravan Club, camped at Sunset, continuing their old tradition but it is nothing like it was 10-15 years ago.
We like the winter and the possibility of snow in the surrounding mountains. If the winter produces enough rain, at the right time, and the flowers bloom, we will go again. It can be amazing.

We like Texas Spring CG, a no-generator campground. It is up the hill from Sunset CG. Sunset is a giant parking lot with several large overflow lots. I have never seen it completely filled, even during 49er Days.
The official website of the Death Valley '49ers, Inc. - Home
Furnace Creek CG is across the street and is the only camp with reservations, I avoid it like the plague, too many generators.
Ask White Elk about it.

The majority of the dirt roads are not RV territory and require a high clearance vehicle.
Jeep rentals are available at Furnace Creek. Camping there last winter, our LD friends rented a Jeep, it wasn't cheap but a lot less expensive than buying and maintaining one. They had a blast and can't wait to go back next winter.

Good chance you will see us there a few days after the New Year holiday, possibly with some other forum members.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze