Skip to main content
Topic: What size screen door spine to buy for repair (Read 230 times) previous topic - next topic
What size screen door spine to buy for repair
I need to fix the screens on my door. Does anyone know what size spine I should get? Yhe sizes listed are 0.125, 0.145 and 0.175.
Stephany Smith
2007 MB
2007 MB

Re: What size screen door spine to buy for repair
Reply #1
Hi Stephany;   I dug up some .125 I had laying around, that's 1/8" and it is too small. My inclination is that .146 might also be too small, so I'm looking for some .175 that I probably have here somewhere....?
    Now unless something is really wrong, you can reuse the old spline. Pull it out carefully and just put in new screen material. Don't pull on it as you reinsert it. If it gets stretched, it will shrink slowly in place and leave gaps.  So if you have some left over, that used to fit in that spot, don't cut off the extra. (ask me how I know that!)    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
Thanks RonB. The old does actually looks in good shape so I think I will try that first. If that doesn't work I see you can buy multipacks with all three sizes so that would be the next step. Thanks again
Stephany
2007 MB

Reply #3
Hi Stephany;  I finally got around to re-screening my door, and the spline was .160" in black.  Tough to push in around the top corners, but not too difficult on long straight runs. Ran out of daylight, but I'll finish that tomorrow.  RonB        The Home Depot Logo
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
Thanks for the spline info, Ron.  I recently removed most of our screens (didn't do the little cabover ones yet) for cleaning purposes and noticed the spline was starting to pop out in a couple of them. I have one of those spline roller tools so was able to reset the screens.  It's a good idea to add screen cleaning/inspection to an annual maintenance list.

Another thing to check are the plastic thingamajigs (retainers?) that keep tension on the screens.  Do you have a source for those?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264