Skip to main content
Topic: Tight Dometic Freezer Door (Read 105 times) previous topic - next topic
Tight Dometic Freezer Door
Our freezer door has always be difficult to open.  The seal is very effective!   However, it’s becoming more difficult for Margee to open it with arthritic hands.  It hurts.  I’m thinking there might be something I can use that makes the seal easier to release. 

I was thinking something like a very thin coat of Vaseline or perhaps a dry lube on the seals.   But before I try anything, I thought I ask the LDO neighborhood for suggestions. 

Re: Tight Dometic Freezer Door
Reply #1
When you open the freezer door, you let some warm air in. Shortly after closing the door, that air is cooled and therefore the air pressure drops. With positive pressure outside the door, you are fighting that to open it. If it is too difficult to then open, you could try installing a pushbutton pressure-release valve of some sort on the door, near the handle.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: Tight Dometic Freezer Door
Reply #2

Hi Ed. Dry lube for sure. Magnets lose efectiveness at just a slight increase in distance, Temporarily try a layer of blue painters tape. If that helps, a layer of white vinyl tape could be used.  2.2 mil tape: Color Coded Tape - 3" x 55 yds, White S-2051W - Uline
  and 5 mil thick:  Amazon.com: 3M 471 Vinyl Tape, 5.2 Mil, 1/2" x 36 yds, White, 3/Case, 3M...
  RonB
  And I hadn't thought about pressure equalization. A very small nick in the tape could add a small leak to prevent a vacuum build up in the freezer as Steve said.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB