Skip to main content
Topic: 7pin trailer connector (Read 1347 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: 7pin trailer connector
Reply #50
Greg;  You already have a charge line in the 6 pin connector you have, as stated by your installer.  You already have that charge line that goes to your Subaru battery. You can install the ToadCharge right at your battery in the vehicle. You are making this too hard. 

If the installer already ran the battery wire directly to the battery, it is a simple modification to add a Toad Start or any other similar device. The battery wire would be cut and the Toad Start wired in series.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #51
Going back to the installer is not an easy thing to do as it's almost four hours away.

I have one of those voltage gauges that hook into the cigarette lighter port.  If I hook up the toad to the LD via the 6-pin power cord (both ends are 6-pin) and start up the LD,  would I be able to tell if the LD is charging the toad with that gauge in the toad's 12V port?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #52
Greg,

May I suggest it would be a simple matter to trace the heavier gauge wire from the socket mounted to your towing base plate (likely one wire will be ten guage and the others lighter guage), to the battery. You would be looking for a single, newer/cleaner wire. If you find a diode (as has been said), you’re good to go. If you find another device before the battery connection you’re still probably good to go. I can’t imagine that any shop capable of installing the Demco equipment you’ve purchased would have omitted this important item. If, however, the wire is a straight run from base plate to battery you will want to purchase and install either of the devices suggested previously.

Let us know what you find after you’ve dirtied your back and arms.

Good luck, you can do it!

W
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #53
Making progress! I was able to confirm there is a charging line in the 6-pin plug using my little 12V gauge. Attached are photos of the toad battery state before hooking up and after hooking up with the LD engine at idle.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #54
Making progress! I was able to confirm there is a charging line in the 6-pin plug using my little 12V gauge. Attached are photos of the toad battery state before hooking up and after hooking up with the LD engine at idle.

Greg,

If you do the same test but in reverse, it will tell you if you have an isolating diode or Toad-Charge type circuit installed.  With the LD engine off and your tester in the LD cigarette lighter socket, run the toad engine.  If the voltage reading goes up with the toad engine running, then the two batteries are directly wired together.  That’s not a good thing.  If that’s the case, then either an isolating diode or Toad-Charge type circuit needs to be added.  If the voltage readings before and after running the toad engine are the same (around 12.5v), then you are good to go.

Good luck,
John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #55
Thanks, John. I tried your suggestion and I noticed the voltage in the LD was quite high already. I thought this may be because the solar panel may be charging the engine battery so I pulled the 10 amp fuse in the Converter and also the one under the dash below the steering wheel.  The voltage did decrease some but it’s still higher than expected (13.3 range). Now I’m wondering if the Trik-L-Start device is charging the LD engine battery?

The good news is I didn’t notice an increase in voltage when I ran the toad engine.  If anything, it slightly decreases!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #56
Greg,

Try it again tonight after the sun goes down.  That will eliminate any possible solar charge influence.  Without solar, alternator, generator or shore power, the Trik-L-Start circuit should be shut down and not charging the toad LD chassis battery.

I’m hopeful that things will work out for you 😊

- John

Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #57
Will do, John.  I'll give an update on the results when done. Thanks again!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #58
John, happy to report the toad was not charging the LD after the sun went down.  So does that mean I don’t need to add a charger such as the Toad-Charge or RVi unit?

Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #59
John, happy to report the toad was not charging the LD after the sun went down.  So does that mean I don’t need to add a charger such as the Toad-Charge or RVi unit?

Let’s recap.
1.  LD and toad are connected together with 6-pin umbilical cord.
2.  With the LD engine running and the toad engine off, the toad battery is charging at 13.33V from the LD.
3.  With the toad engine running and the LD engine off, the LD battery is not being charged by the toad.

Sounds good to me… congratulations 😁
Of course others may have a different opinion… Larry, Ron, Warren???

- John

Reply #60
Hi Greg. It will work as-is.  As far as back flow is concerned, how often do you plan to run the Subaru engine while the umbilical is connected? not often.... just to exercise the transmission. So not really a problem.
    The original issue was overcharging the towed vehicle battery. Say 5 hours driving per day. The Subaru can't tell the LD that it's 'had enough' battery charging. It's own voltage regulator is inoperative. You are drawing a bit of power to operate the aux brake system, (Vacuum pump/air pressure pump, and electronics).   It's OK as-is.
    If after awhile you feel that the towed battery is being overcharged, you can install a ToadCharge.  It really is a smart battery charger, just to make sure that the battery charging line through the umbilical, isn't too successful.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #61
Thanks, guys. Think I’ll call it good for now but closely monitor the toad on our upcoming trip to Arkansas.  Everyone’s input and help has been invaluable. Thanks so much!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264