Skip to main content
Topic: Artic Air Pure Chill Portable Air Conditioner (Read 275 times) previous topic - next topic
Artic Air Pure Chill Portable Air Conditioner
At home I don't like air conditioning on during the day and my grandson does.  So he and my son purchased Arctic Air Pure Chill, very small, portable air conditioners.  They cool their rooms and no more complaints.  My son thinks I should use one in the LD when dry camping.  I couldn't figure out how many watts it is.  Do you think this would work with a small inverter?  I would especially like using it over the cab area where I sleep. 

Monica
2017 Mid-Bath
Monica
2017 MB

Re: Artic Air Pure Chill Portable Air Conditioner
Reply #1
From what I can see, this is a small modern version of an evaporative cooler (aka swamp cooler).  It doesn't have a very large power requirement.  The only spec I could find states 8 Watts (this may be their smallest unit) and can recharge from a USB port.  But evaporative coolers work better the lower the humidity and not nearly as well with high humidity.  I'd want to find out how long the water reservoir will last with the fan on high speed.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
This sounded like it could be useful for boondocking however...  upon review of the reviews, this seems like a waste of money.

Dang!
Arctic Air Pure Chill Reviews - Too Good to be True?
2006 24’ TK
570 watts solar, 300Ah lithium
SKP Lifetime member #105622
Land of Enchantment

Reply #3
I have one in my craft room and it’s just a over-hyped fan. I find it very ineffective at cooling even the air around my desk. JMHO
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #4
In addition to what Art pointed out, evaporative coolers need to be cleaned regularly. What you have in these tiny boxes is just a small fan blowing over a wet sponge or equivalent. That's why they're so cheap, and that's why they use so little power. But unless your water is distilled or softened, mineral crud will build up on the wet element and need to be cleaned off regularly. And there's always the possibility that molds or bacteria will grow on the wet medium. Remember Legionnaires' Disease?

Read the reviews on Amazon. And bear in mind that you have to freeze the filter if you really want cold air.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
This device is not an air conditioner! The simple definition for air conditioning (refrigeration more generally) is 'the removal and transfer of heat from a less desirable space to a more desirable space'. This stand-alone device has no means to do that.

By evaporation, as Art suggests, it can lower the temperature of the air discharging from it, providing some 'cooling effect', but it does not capture and move any heat from a room to a more desirable space. In fact, though it is insignificant, the heat generated by the fan is adding heat to the space.

Bill
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #6
Snake oil in a small box.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Thank you all for your responses.   They were very helpful.

Monica
2017 Mid-Bath
Monica
2017 MB