Skip to main content
Topic: Need purchase advise (Read 422 times) previous topic - next topic
Need purchase advise
Hi again, I found a 1999 '23 that looks in good shape; however, I have yet to see it personally.  It has 70,000 miles and asking price is $24,950.  Can someone give me an idea what I should counter offer on this?  I plan to have it inspected prior to purchasing.  It's being sold via a broker, is that something I should be concerned about?  Thanks a bunch

Re: Need purchase advise
Reply #1
If you post the ad, someone may be able to give limited advice based on any photos.  

It’s just about impossible to tell much about a 20+ year old vehicle with just a year and an asking price.

So much depends on how it was maintained.

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #2
If the site has pics and a description, but you don't want to give the link, then at least post the pics and description here.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Sold via a broker raises red flags for me. If you can’t see it in person yet, ask them to do a live online walkthrough with you, showing you the inside and outside. If they don’t have access to it to do that then walk away, it’s likely a scam. Don’t make any offers or deposits until you see it in person.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #4
Here are the pictures

Reply #5
Good advise, we are setting an appointment for my son to view it tomorrow

Reply #6
Do you think a counter offer of $19,000 is reasonable? Too low? Too high?

Reply #7
Here's the way I think about pricing in this market.   Decide what you're willing to pay, offer that, but be prepared to miss out if it's not close to asking price.  If you're willing to pay asking price, offer it.

Used RV prices are as high as I can remember.  It's not really about original selling price, or depreciation, or fair prices, or anything else like that right now.  There are people who want RVs and can afford to pay much more than what would have been common in the past. 

If you do get the RV, be prepared to go through the same supply/demand imbalance when booking campsites. 

It's still a great way to travel, IMO.

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #8
Thanks Rich, appreciate your feedback.

Reply #9
There is something very suspicious about the add - no 22' or 23' LD models in 1999 had a dinette. Some of the inside pictures appear to be from a longer model, but the outside is the smaller one. The location of appliance access on the outside is wrong for any 1999 model. Here is the brochure for 1999:

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #10
Steve, I see that, so what do you think he's going to be showing tomorrow?  I'm waiting for him to provide me with the VIN number.  I'm also nervous about this and that is why I'm reaching out to you knowledgeable owners for some council.

Reply #11
Without additional information, who knows what condition it is in, how it has been maintained, the age of the tires and batteries, or what enhancements it has.
Keep in mind it is 22 years old, that's a lot of years for mother nature to do her work. It should have had a bunch of resealing projects done to it already and quite a bit of mechanical maintenance performed....hoses, belts, fluids, brakes, etc.

You really can't provide a link to the ad or are you afraid of someone getting to it before you do? A few low-quality photos tell us next to nothing.
It probably has the small 350 V8 and will not be very powerful, probably unable to pull most toads. There is a chance it has a bigger engine but, once again who knows, you are not providing much for us to work with.
Understand, we are an RV site, not a buying service or appraisers. None of us appraise for a living.

I suggest a professional inspector/appraiser, not just someone who knows a bit about cars or RV.
We have seen too many folks get burned on a "nice looking" elderly LD that is loaded with costly hidden problems.
Most old rigs have them.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #12
There is something very suspicious about the add - no 22' or 23' LD models in 1999 had a dinette. Some of the inside pictures appear to be from a longer model, but the outside is the smaller one. The location of appliance access on the outside is wrong for any 1999 model. Here is the brochure for 1999:

Steve

In that brochure, the front lounge says you can substitute a dinette for the barrel chairs, transforming it to a "front dinette"model.
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #13
Got it Larry, thank you.  I understand your point but I was hopeful to gain information from those of you more experienced.  In any event, the VIN number indicates it's a 1998 Chevy Express Van and from the brochure I'm reading that's it should be on a Ford Chassis?

Reply #14
There is something very suspicious about the ad - no 22' or 23' LD models in 1999 had a dinette. Some of the inside pictures appear to be from a longer model, but the outside is the smaller one. The location of appliance access on the outside is wrong for any 1999 model.

Steve

It’s a 22’ Front Dinette, the Chevy version of what Gene and Sally owned before their RK.
It’s rare to see a Front Dinette, usually, they are Front Lounges, the same as you and I own.
1998 was supposed to be Chevy's last year, evidently, LD still built a few in 1999, it may be 1998 chassis with a 1999 coach. This is not an uncommon practice and is seen a lot in older LDs

Larry
Larry

Reply #15
Got it Larry, thank you.  I understand your point but I was hopeful to gain information from those of you more experienced.  In any event, the VIN number indicates it's a 1998 Chevy Express Van and from the brochure I'm reading that's it should be on a Ford Chassis?

Sassy,
Often LD has a chassis from one model year being sold on a house body from the next year.  Or sometimes the other way around.  Depends on the time of year and the model year of the vehicle manufacture.
LInda
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #16
Here is the ad

Reply #17
Linda, your input much appreciated....

Reply #18
Based on the side photo, I would say those are 27’ photos.  Either they just made a mistake or something is fishy.

I picked up a trick to tell them apart, take the cab measurements, and if the length is roughly 1/3 of the whole length, it’s 24’, otherwise it’s 27’
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #20
Sorry, I don't know how to attach the link...help

Reply #21
Based on the side photo, I would say those are 27’ photos.  Either they just made a mistake or something is fishy.
I picked up a trick to tell them apart, take the cab measurements, and if the length is roughly 1/3 of the whole length, it’s 24’, otherwise it’s 27’

Recalibrate your eyes.
It's a 22' Chevy Front Dinette, I have owned two Front Lounges (1983 22' FL and 2003 23.5' FL) and have looked at many more. The window layout is unmistakable.
AFAIK, LD never built a longer floorplan on the G30 Chevy chassis, only 22' models. With the low 11,000-lbs GVW, the chassis was not capable of carrying a larger coach.
Changes by year

For a few years (1994, 95, 96), LD built a 30' model on a Chevy GP30 chassis.

Larry
Larry

Reply #23
More Red flags
“Please email your contact information to set up an appointment to view the lazy days or we will NOT respond.” Why would anyone not be willing to answer questions before setting up an appointment?
Be cautious anytime someone says they won’t respond through the app being used, ie Craigslist unless you give them your contact information. Getting people’s email and phone numbers and selling them is a big business.  If it were me, I would respond through the Craigslist email and ask for their contact information.
 “I have questions for you, how can I contact you?” “ In what area is the Rv right now? Is it at a private residence or a dealership?”
If your son is to meet with the seller, only meet if in a public place.  Be cautious and don’t get emotionally invested. I’ve purchased a few RVs in my time and all of the purchases were preceded by lengthy telephone conversations before I knew if I wanted to see the RV or not. And why would any reputable seller not want to pre screen buyers before setting up an appointment? This may be legitimate or may not be. I hope it is and it works out in your favor. Be aware and be smart. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #24
So Cal Gal, you have given me a lot to think about, so thank you.  I asked the seller to set up a virtual walk-through instead of tomorrow's visit but he has not responded.  Unfortunately, I already made the mistake of giving him my telephone number but I will be more savvy next time.  I really appreciate all the advice you and others have shared;  I'm still learning.  Take good care and safe travels.