Skip to main content
Topic: flat towing a toad (Read 192 times) previous topic - next topic
flat towing a toad
We've decided it's time to take a look at flat towing. I took a look at the companion under towing, and not sure how dated that stuff is. I think I remember hearing that the two kits most folks prefer are the blue ox or roadmaster.

We have MB. We're planning on towing a pontiac vibe. Curb weight 2780lbs. I think just replacing the grade 5 bolts w/ grade 8, and using larger washers / backing plate should cover beefing up the Rig.

I'm looking for recommendations for what others have been through. What to stay away from. Hints to make life easier, etc...

I figure I need:
Beef up the hitch. -> Bolt replacement.
Tow bars -> Looking for recommendations.
Base plates for the toad -> Looking for recommendations.
Toad brake system -> Looking for recommendations.
Wiring Rig to Toad -> A bit of searching leads to believe a 7 pin might be the way to go.

Thanks in advance.

Sean
2001 MB

Re: flat towing a toad
Reply #1
Sean,
I changed out the grade 5 bolts / washers / nuts (must replace as a set) with grade 8 and torqued to 150 ftlbs.  The originals looked fine and nothing was loose or showed signs of fretting.  Inspected entire hitch assembly and didnt spot anything else of concern.  However, it is obvious that LD didnt put a lot of thought/effort into the hitch assembly.  They really could slightly beef it up to a 7500# limit, like the new entegra class c coaches. 

Base plate and tow bars are personal choice.  And there are lots of choices.  The jeep toad that I bought had roadmaster base plate, but I bought a lightly used blueox towbar from a friend and changed out the ends. 

Also a lot of choices for braking systems.  There are permanently installed systems, which are convenient if you only plan on having one toad vehicle.  I ended up getting a RVi3 brake system because I wanted the ability to use it on a different vehicles.

Good luck.  There are multiple options and even more opinions

Re: flat towing a toad
Reply #2
Henness,

I have towed behind my mid bath many years.  Never changed the Grade 5 bolts or receiver hitch.  Currently tow a 4000 pound Jeep.
I use the NSA solution seen via link
12,000 lb. Steel Tow Bar Complete Kit - NSA Tow Bars

Best of luck
2006 MB