Skip to main content
Topic: Oil Change / Bathroom Skylight Dome Questions (Read 148 times) previous topic - next topic
Oil Change / Bathroom Skylight Dome Questions
I think I know the answer to this, but don't judge my lack of knowledge. 

Almost exactly one year ago (when I had my Lazy Daze broken into at my storage facility) I had the oil changed (and mechanically checked out) along with the repairs to the door and window where the thieves gained access.  However, I've gone nowhere since then.  I'm planning to meet my brother who lives in Tennessee at Navajo Lake State Park in New Mexico next week. 

Question #1:  Should I have my oil changed since it's been basically "sitting?"  If so, has anyone ever take their rig to a "quick oil change place" since I'll never be able to get an appointment at my RV repair place?

Periodically I go to check on my RV at the storage facility to start the engine, run the generator, and check the water in the coach batteries.  When I went out yesterday (Yes, I had an exciting 4th of July) I noticed a two inch crack in the bathroom skylight dome.  I called Lazy Daze and they're on order and I'm to get a call when they come in (two weeks?). 

Question #2   In order to meet up with by brother, I was *thinking* as a temporary fix I'd just patch the crack on both sides with eternabond tape.  I'm only going to be gone a week and by then hopefully the replacement skylight dome will come in to purchase and repair. 

I also bought brand new tires (they have covers) last year and just bought a replacement TPMS for the one that was stolen.  Sadly, the other day by reading posts I found that Ken Fears had passed away - he had actually come to my house and helped me program the original one. 

Hindsight is 20/20, but I wish I'd opted for covered storage (three times as much) as the Southwest sun is lethal (trust me, I'm somewhat miserable from the seven spots I had recently frozen by my dermatologist even though I wear SPF 50 and the biggest hat you've ever seen).  I'm going to look into changing that...

Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Re: Oil Change / Bathroom Skylight Dome Questions
Reply #1
Hi Cheryl;  Oil is fine. The heat and contamination with combustion (ring blow by) gasses. High pressures inside bearings, and worst of all water condensation inside the engine all contribute to oil deterioration. Just sitting there is akin to sitting in an unopened bottle. It doesn't oxidize much at room temperature inside the engine. That is why oil changes are determined by miles accumulated.
   The crack in the skylight dome. You could just patch that from inside. I assume the dome will get replaced in a few months. Its not like you can hurt it any worse.
   Depending on which TPMS you have, there are Utube videos available that can be helpful.
    Like you, I rarely leave my dermatologist unscathed. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Re: Oil Change / Bathroom Skylight Dome Questions
Reply #2
"I was *thinking* as a temporary fix I'd just patch the crack on both sides with eternabond tape."

Cheryl,

Given your current situation I would use some Duct Tape to cover that crack. No sense of going to a lot of trouble.  ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!