Skip to main content
Topic: Happy Fourth of July! (Read 139 times) previous topic - next topic
Happy Fourth of July!
This Independence Day, everyone should celebrate what it means to be citizens of a free nation — a nation that stands for liberty, freedom and opportunity. We are blessed to be citizens of the United States of America, and Fourth of July is the day we pause to remind ourselves of those blessings.
Sam

Re: Happy Fourth of July!
Reply #1
Happy 4th of July! May everyone have safe travels, and fun times with family and friends. Get out and see this beautiful country.

Reply #2
"...we pause to remind ourselves of those blessings."

Hear, hear, tis a wonderful day no doubt!

However I've got one niggling gripe. Back in Colonial Days right after the Declaration was signed, people used to celebrate on the MORNING of the 4th. Why is it that in this day and age people think it's proper to light their firecrackers in the middle of the night? It scares my dog Cedar half to death.   >:(
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Our current fascination with Fourth of July fireworks has its roots deep in American history. Even before the final version of the Declaration of Independence was signed, John Adams envisioned great celebrations in the future, ones that would include fireworks. In fact, in the same letter, referenced above that he wrote on July 3, 1776—just the day before the Continental Congress adopted the final draft of the Declaration of Independence—he said that festivities should include:

“Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forever more.”

Those illuminations that he referred to? You guessed it… fireworks!
It is also said, that fireworks displays were used as morale boosters for soldiers in the Revolutionary War. At the time however, fireworks were the same type of explosives used in war and were called rockets, not fireworks. And so colonists celebrated the fourth even before they knew if they would win the war. Fireworks were further popularized in the late 1700s by politicians that had displays at their speeches, and they became a firmly established tradition by the 1800s.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #4
At the risk of being that guy ---- the 4 of July was just a declaration kind of like the day when you say you are going to do something.  IMHO we should be honoring Sept 3 the day the 'Treaty of Paris' was signed.   That's the day we become a country of free folks.
Just saying .......

Treaty of Paris (1783) - Wikipedia

glen

ps <smile> I'll take any paid day off no matter the reason.
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #5
Dave, Glen, loved your comments! At least there are a few of us history buffs with open eyes. But again, my question is 'Why midnight'?   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #6
"...we pause to remind ourselves of those blessings."

Hear, hear, tis a wonderful day no doubt!

However I've got one niggling gripe. Back in Colonial Days right after the Declaration was signed, people used to celebrate on the MORNING of the 4th. Why is it that in this day and age people think it's proper to light their firecrackers in the middle of the night? It scares my dog Cedar half to death.   >:(

Not just late at night but all week long! and probably the entire following week, or until they run out of fireworks  (or money) I find it odd that here in Idaho it is illegal to use aerial fireworks but it is legal to sell them. What are they thinking?
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #7
I got lucky the other night around 10:30pm or so my neighbor calls me and says he just put out a fire in my backyard, hmmmm aerial fireworks, here in Idaho where they are illegal?

X
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646