Skip to main content
Topic: 2005 MB won’t start (Read 489 times) previous topic - next topic
2005 MB won’t start
     We are stranded at a repair shop, after having been towed in this morning.  They may not get to us “for a day or two”.  The rig will not start.  It turns over and sounds as if it will go, but doesn’t.  Coincidentally, the power windows and levelers will not turn on.  Gas gauge needle does not raise up.  No codes in the computer.  Ideas?  Thanks, Mary
1994 22 LD, 2005 Midbath, 2016 Midbath

Re: 2005 MB won’t start
Reply #1
The most obvious cause appears to be a dying/dead engine battery. Can't the repair shop do a quick/simple check for battery condition?
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
The most obvious cause appears to be a dying/dead engine battery. Can't the repair shop do a quick/simple check for battery condition?
Agree, a quick check of the battery voltage at the battery terminals  will be very helpful, if you have a multimeter you can do it yourself or borrow the shop's meter. If it is below 11.5v it is then too low.
2004 Mid Bath,
2007 Jeep Liberty Towed

Reply #3
Not knowing the area you are it’s hard to say where to get a replacement chassis battery. For me, it’s Costco. $100 and my dead celled OEM battery was replaced in a hurry.

I’m pretty sure an interstate battery or such can be had for a similar price.

Costco batts have a 3 year warranty. Use it for 2 years and replace it free. The new replacement comes with another 3 year warranty. Are their batteries the best? Maybe not but their return policy works for me.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
It does sound like the battery is low or a fuse is blown keeping some keys items from working.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #5
Definitely sounds like a low-voltage thing. The battery needs to be at a minimum level to run the electronics and starter, if the voltage drops too low, it will not start.
Check the battery
Check the alternator for output and look for loose or corroded battery and ground wires and cables.

If you have a separate battery charger, charge the starting battery, using the generator.
If you have jumper cables or a booster battery, connect the coach battery to the starting battery, wait a couple of minutes, and then try to start it.
If it starts and runs, you have a charging issue or a dying battery.

Do you own a voltmeter? If so, measure starting battery’s voltage before charging, it should be in the low to mid-12-volt range (12.1-.12.6). If at 12.0 or lower, the battery is dying or isn’t getting charged.
If the engine starts, with a jumper, measure the battery voltage with the engine running, it should be in the 13-14.5 volt range.
If lower, something in the charging system needs attention.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
      Update.  The repair shopped diagnosed that we were out of gas.  Instrument panel, including gas gauge had, coincidentally, stopped working.  They put in gas and it started right up.  We filled up that tank, and resumed travel to a friends house nearby.  This morning the rig would not start, again.   I recalled that they mentioned rolling the rig downhill into their shop.  We raised the back end up using manual levelers.  Darned if it didn’t start right up.  We are on the road back home this morning using a speedometer app.  I’ll update when diagnosed.  Thanks for all of your responses. 

Reply #7
I’m no expert on this matter, but it sounds like a fuel pump issue from all you’ve mentioned. Hard to imagine clogged lines. The fuel filter may be part of the problem but it’s part of the pump in many cases especially in newer vehicle’s. https://youtu.be/jM6jCMH8w8k

Your rig is 15 years old so this could be the age limit on the pump. Others here have found it necessary to replace theirs.

Good luck.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #8
     The fuel pump was prophylactically replaced at 109,000 miles.  About 30,000 miles ago.  It certainly could have failed.  We had a check engine light come on during a trip in May.  Apparently diagnosis codes showed that  it was a fuel pump amperage issue.   Wiring contacts were cleaned and light went off.  I’m betting it’s all related. 

Reply #9
Hi MrYstock;  Sounds to me like something became disconnected inside the fuel tank. The levelness shouldn't matter that much.  You could also have a rubber fuel line issue; more commonly associated with the generator not starting.  Any trouble code lights lit?  It depends on what part of your dash instrumentation is still working. 
   My Scangauge does read out speed, and trouble codes. We hope you get home safely!   You might try some starting fluid sprayed into the air intake just as you are trying to start the engine. I know (first hand on three occasions) that a recalcitrant fuel pump can have just enough of a hesitation, to scramble the software into a 'no start' situation. (your 2005 should be way past that)     RonB
    You posted just when I did, so I'll answer to that: An amperage issue might be not enough current getting to the fuel pump. I would check connections all the way through to the pump. I wonder if flexing of the chassis could be pulling on a connector somewhere along the line? I have a friend with a '99 Ford F350 truck that had a problem eventually traced to a connector in the front driver side wheel well area behind the mud shield.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #10
Instrument panel, including gas gauge had, coincidentally, stopped working.

Coincidences do happen but should be considered rare.  In modern cars and trucks the ECU controls most of what happens in the engine including the instrument panel.  A bad sensor can cause the ECU to exhibit odd symptoms like not starting (a friend had a fuel rail pressure sensor go bad and the truck would intermittently not start) but given that the instrument panel stopped working too might indicate the ECU is bad.  Check the obvious like fuses and loose connectors but also get the Diagnostic Trouble Codes checked out.  Best of luck to you.

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Re: 2005 MB won’t start. Update: &
Reply #11
Update:  Diagnosis was faulty fuel pump driver module. 

Reply #13
Wow, I had no idea a fuel pump driver module even existed. Good to know before assuming the tank needs to be dropped before replacing the fuel pump.
Steve
2003TK

Reply #14
Just a FYI: I looked for a “fuel pump module” on Rock Auto for my 2003; no such product listed that I could find for my model year. Maybe there was a fuel pump design change between 2003 (and/or earlier model years) and 2005, *possibly* also 2004 models? 

Input from engine gurus?

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #15

I assume the "fuel pump driver module” is the complete fuel pump, filter and gauge assembly.
In other words, the gas tank was dropped and the once replaced fuel pump assembly was replaced again…correct?
Amazon.com: Fuel Sender: Automotive
MOTORCRAFT PFS20 w/ Aft Axle Tank - 3 Tube Ports
2003 FORD E-450 6.8L V10 Fuel Pump & Housing Assembly | RockAuto

30,000 miles is a short life span for a fuel pump, wonder what brand it was and what brand is new one is?
I prefer Bosch fuel pumps but they do not appear to be available anymore for the 2003 E450s, now making the Ford pump my preference.
I sure hope this is the final fix.
Also wonder if anyone tested the fuel pump pressure while the engine was running and at speed, this a standard test. This still will not detect a pump that has an intermittent electrical problem unless the mechanic is lucky enough to have it not run during the test.

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry

Reply #16
Rockauto says our 2007 and a 2005 have a Fuel Pump Drive Module. I'll have to get my Ford Workshop and Wiring Manuals out to confirm and locate it.

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #17
I misread your LD’s age as a 2003. Old eyes.
Yes a 2005 has a “fuel pump module”. It’s a solid state device that controls the output pressure of the fuel pump by varying the speed of the fuel pump, rapidly turning the power on and off, using pulsed wave modulation. It’s activated by the engine’s computer. The computer uses a pressure sensor to dertermine the fuel pressure delivered to the fuel injectors and then has the fuel pump module control the fuel pump's speed.
The fuel pump module is a lot cheaper than replacing a fuel pump.
2005 FORD E-450 6.8L V10 Fuel Pump Drive Module | RockAuto
Let’s hope the pressure sensor never fails, it’s a very expensive part.
2003 FORD E-450 6.8L V10 Fuel Injection Pressure Sensor | RockAuto

Earlier V10 engines control the fuel pressure using a mechanical regulator, as part of the fuel pump assembly. The fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank and runs at a continious speed. I replaced our 2003 LD’s fuel pump at about 100,000 miles with a Bosch OEM pump, I knew too many owners of similar year LDs whose pumps failed at 100,000, or at lower miles.
Fuel pump replacement | Flickr

Larry
Larry

Reply #18
The Ford Flex is notorious for fuel pump module failures. I had my car break down at a Home Depot. Had my wife run to Autozone and I replaced it on the spot. It was located next to the second row pillar by the seat belts which I thought was so odd. Not sure how common it is on the V10s but could be the issue as Larry mentioned.
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #19
Thanks, Larry. I figured that there had been a fuel pump design change between earlier V10s and those in post 2003 (or post 2004?) engines. Your post does explain why I couldn't find a "fuel pump module" for my 2003!  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #20
The Ford Flex is notorious for fuel pump module failures. I had my car break down at a Home Depot. Had my wife run to Autozone and I replaced it on the spot. It was located next to the second row pillar by the seat belts which I thought was so odd.

Your LD's fuel pump is inside the gas tank, you can't change it in a parking lot.  The tank needs to be empty and lowered using rolling hydraulic jacks or a transmission jack, it is very heavy, probably around 100+lbs when empty.
Changing a pump gets more expensive when it fails with a full tank, requiring the fuel to be removed first. Any liquid remaining in the tank sloshes from side to side, making it very unstable, like a boat with a bilge full of water.

Larry
Larry

Reply #21
Well after reading all of this I decided to look for a Fuel Pump Assembly for our 98~MB as a spare since we have passed 120K.  The local Ford dealer just informed me that Ford no longer carries the Motorcraft Fuel Pump for my year through 2002 parts number #F7VZ9H307BC two tubes coming out or #F7VZ9H307CC for three tubes.  RockAuto has Delphi for around $145 to $155 which less then the last price MotorCraft was $325 when it was dropped.  Also the part number is slightly different then what Ford calls for.  I guess I have some research a head of me.  Has anyone done this recently?

Karen~Liam
        98 ~ MB
          NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags