Skip to main content
Topic: Parallax vs Progressive Dynamics converter  (Read 158 times) previous topic - next topic
Parallax vs Progressive Dynamics converter
I had a PD that I installed in my 95 TK.
This new LD has a Parallax of course.

I never heard the fan on my PD converter.  I'm not sure it ever turned on.
This Parallax fan runs frequently and you can't miss the noise.

Why do you suppose this is?
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Parallax vs Progressive Dynamics converter
Reply #1
Hi Ted, a rhetorical question right.  Parallax got the cheapest fan they could?  Bad engineering, or a 'bean counter' couldn't leave it alone?  My PD4655 has two fans. I'm not aware of them coming on....  yet. I haven't been in the rig when charging depleted batteries in hot weather with shore power. Ask me again in a year or so.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
The AC to DC converter cooling run fans when the circuits are in the battery charging mode regardless of make. Also when there is a heavy DC load in the coach. That is their job. Keep the electronics cool. Our PD 4655 fan comes on during these conditions. I know they are functioning as designed.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #3
I replaced a Parallax in a ‘92 class B with a PD because of obnoxious buzzing and did the same in our ‘03 TK mostly to get the extra stage in charging although I do remember the louder fan noise.

I give credit to the advancement in technology but at some point you have to credit the engineers. Oh, and hopefully they’re not too constrained by management.
Steve
2003TK

Reply #4
I almost never hear our PD9270's fan running, even when charging at a high rate (65+ amps). When it does run, its speed is variable and rarely noticeable.
Different manufacturers build their converters differently, Parallax converter's fans seem to run more often. I have replaced a few of them just because of the noise issue. Some models of their fans run continuously.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze