Skip to main content
Topic: Seatbelt replacements for 1990s LD (Read 139 times) previous topic - next topic
Seatbelt replacements for 1990s LD
My cab seatbelts don’t retract and don’t catch on impact. I sent them to Safetyrestore for repair and they tell me these old seatbelts were not made to retract or lock on impact. They said these 3 point belts are just meant to go across your body and you manually adjust them like the lap belts in the dinette seats, but there’s nothing to hold them in place. However, the seatbelt on the drivers side seams to retract AND lock when yanked. Safetyrestore says they cannot be repaired. Our seatbelts pool in our laps or drop around our knees, they don’t provide any type of restraint functions. For those of you with a 1990s LD, how do your captain chair seatbelts operate?

I’ve been unable to source replacement seatbelts and universal seatbelts would require modifications which no one will do because of the liability and are beyond my skill set to modify.  Any ideas?
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Re: Seatbelt replacements for 1990s LD
Reply #1
My cab seatbelts don’t retract and don’t catch on impact. I sent them to Safetyrestore for repair and they tell me these old seatbelts were not made to retract or lock on impact. They said these belts are just meant to go across your body and you adjust them like the lap belts in the dinette seats. However, the seatbelt on the drivers side seams to retract AND lock when yanked. For those of you with a 1990s LD, how do your captain chair seatbelts operate?

I’ve been unable to source replacement seatbelts and universal seatbelts would require modifications which no one will do because of the liability and are beyond my skill set to modify.  Any ideas?

There are companies that can replace or rebuild your existing seat belts and shoulder harnesses.
Aftermarket & Replacement Seat Belts | SeatbeltPlanet.com™
Replacement Seatbelts for Cars - Automobile Seat Belts - OEM Seatbelts
Custom-Colored Seat Belt Replacement | MyAirbags

What are you trying to do with the seatbelts that no one will do?

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
I modified my original post to clarify further.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB

Reply #3
Our 1983 LD, G30's seat belts did not have a retractor, once cinched up, you were held in place as tightly as you were comfortable with. Does your LD have captain seats that rotate or are they fixed?

How about these retractable belts?
Security Check

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Larry, thanks for the links, I will check them out and see if something will work with the existing mounts and hardware.
Our front seats swivel.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB